Was there any talk on Peppers?

Guest TerraTor

The problem I see with cutting him comes down to...$7.5 million is an absolutely enormous amount of dead cap space.

Would you rather spend $7.5 in cap on him and cut him or $18 on him and keep him on the roster?

I think a restructure is possible. But that cap hit for the current deal is real, regardless.

Would you rather spend $7.5 in cap on him and cut him or $18 on him and keep him on the roster?

I think a restructure is possible. But that cap hit for the current deal is real, regardless.

I hope the answer is to find a way to spend like $10-$12 million to keep him, so that at least one of the DE slots is filled.

Common sense would say he needs to restructure. Will he?? I sure hope so, would like to have him here at a discounted rated that matches his production better.

The thing that really annoyed me in the last couples of games is why didn't they push Wooten back outside and played Peppers, Ratliffle, Paea and Wooten then in obvious passing downs playing Wooten inside and fresh Shea coming on the pitch. We would have been stronger against the run surely having 2 bigger tackles on the field on run downs. I know Wooten played fairly well at the 3 technique but isn't he a better DE.

In light of the Cutler deal, it seems like a forgone conclusion that Julius Peppers is gone. Melton probably too. Need to cut some guys to make up part of the insanely amount of money you are giving Cutler.

If the latest information on the cap hits is true, Cutler's 2014 hit is 11.8 million....which is not insane and is up just a little from the 10.37 hit we had this year (2013).

If the latest information on the cap hits is true, Cutler's 2014 hit is 11.8 million....which is not insane and is up just a little from the 10.37 hit we had this year (2013).

That would be excellent news indeed. Where are you hearing this? I'm thinking that the $22 is just an annual salary number and I thought I read the entire amount hits the cap this year. If what you're saying is right, they've saved $4 million over going with the tag on Cutler.

That would be excellent news indeed. Where are you hearing this? I'm thinking that the $22 is just an annual salary number and I thought I read the entire amount hits the cap this year. If what you're saying is right, they've saved $4 million over going with the tag on Cutler.

It's on a Spiegel tweet that SCS posted, but who knows if this is even true lol! But now guys will be mad because the cap hits went from 3 years to 5.

It's on a Spiegel tweet that SCS posted, but who knows if this is even true lol! But now guys will be mad because the cap hits went from 3 years to 5.

Wow, PFT wrong? When has THAT ever happened before? BWAAAA HA HA HA HA HA. Just kidding, they're almost always wrong. I do wonder though how the two deals we're hearing about couldn't be more different. One is backloaded, the other front. Just really strange. I hope Speigel is right. It leaves tons of room for chasing all sorts of FA's and still signing our own.

I thought Peppers could be cut after June 1st and then the dead money could be applied to multiple years of the cap to lessen the blow this year. That may be the best option.

It could be argued that paying him $18mil to play next year would be dead cap space. I'll take the $7.5 mil in dead cap space and use the $10.5mil in change to sign a DE and two DTs.

It could be argued that paying him $18mil to play next year would be dead cap space. I'll take the $7.5 mil in dead cap space and use the $10.5mil in change to sign a DE and two DTs.

Ha, you may be right. It could be argued he was our best defender this year. But, dollar for dollar, he could be the worse value.

I'm with you on that.

If he were to be let go, sign somewhere else...does that relieve any more cap space?