breakdown of Cutler's deal.

GakMan23

@MattSpiegel670

I've got a source I trust on the official cap hits for the Jay Cutler contract, & the numbers are not as they've been reported/listed.

SOURCE: The official salary cap hits for Cutler are as follows:

’14: 11.8 mil

'15: 15.3

’16: 16.8

’17: 18.3

’18: 18.8

’19: 22

’20: 23

Now THAT looks more like it if true.

@MattSpiegel670

I've got a source I trust on the official cap hits for the Jay Cutler contract, & the numbers are not as they've been reported/listed.

SOURCE: The official salary cap hits for Cutler are as follows:

’14: 11.8 mil

'15: 15.3

’16: 16.8

’17: 18.3

’18: 18.8

’19: 22

’20: 23

Now THAT looks more like it if true.

So he gets the 54 guaranteed and the Bears are not hammered on the cap for the first three years. If he tears it up they will be re-doing it after 3 years anyways.

So he gets the 54 guaranteed and the Bears are not hammered on the cap for the first three years. If he tears it up they will be re-doing it after 3 years anyways.

This is why it makes no sense to cry the sky is falling until all the information comes out. If this is true, which I would believe, then we have plenty of cap space to retool.

This is completely different and if correct is exactly what almost everyone was asking for. It just seems odd because no values equal exactly $54 million.

If this is accurate, then those first 3 years are very cap friendly and make more sense based on his performance.

This is completely different and if correct is exactly what almost everyone was asking for. It just seems odd because no values equal exactly $54 million.

If this is accurate, then those first 3 years are very cap friendly and make more sense based on his performance.

Ha, I thought the same thing so I followed Spiegel so I could see if there was more detail. Here's a summary of the other tweats he posted after the one we've all seen here:

Cutler's base salary for 2014 is just $1 million and rises progressively to $8 million by year 5. The contract calls for a prorated bonus of $10.8 million for each of the first five seasons, adding up to the $54 million guaranteed. The base jumps to $22 million and $23 million in years 6 and 7, respectively.

Ha, I thought the same thing so I followed Spiegel so I could see if there was more detail. Here's a summary of the other tweats he posted after the one we've all seen here:

Cutler's base salary for 2014 is just $1 million and rises progressively to $8 million by year 5. The contract calls for a prorated bonus of $10.8 million for each of the first five seasons, adding up to the $54 million guaranteed. The base jumps to $22 million and $23 million in years 6 and 7, respectively.

He goes on to say that this effectively makes the deal a 5 year with the Bears having "options" on years 6 and 7 if he's still playing at a high enough level to justify that pay scale.

In short, in Cliff we trust!

Annual deal breakdown per Spiegel's source...

Base Bonus Total

1.0 10.8 11.8

4.5 10.8 15.3

6.0 10.8 16.8

7.5 10.8 18.3

8.0 10.8 18.8

22.0 - 22.0

23.0 - 23.0

PS. This is just a summary of what Spiegel is posting on Twitter. You now know as much as I do. Take it for what it's worth. I like this set of numbers a lot more than I did the original information from PFT so I sure hope Spiegel's source is solid. This deal makes sense to me from both party's relative perspectives so I think it's probably right, but who the heck knows?

First 5 years of deal average 16.25, basically the current tag amount for the real part of the deal. This is not bad at all and really helps the cap over the next 2 to 3 years. The only issue is this becomes a 5 yr deal vs a 3 yr deal.

First 5 years of deal average 16.25, basically the current tag amount for the real part of the deal. This is not bad at all and really helps the cap over the next 2 to 3 years. The only issue is this becomes a 5 yr deal vs a 3 yr deal.

Yeah, that's why it made sense to me. However, Spiegel is pulling back and saying his source was in error so we'll have to continue to wait and see.

Rotoworld has:

1/2/2014: Signed a seven-year, $126 million contract. The deal contains $54 million guaranteed. 2014: $22.5 million, 2015: $15.5 million, 2016: $16 million, 2017: $12.5 million (+ $2.5 million in per-game roster bonuses), 2018: $13.5 million (+ $2.5 million in per-game roster bonuses), 2019: $17.5 million (+ $2.5 million in per-game roster bonuses), 2020: $19.2 million (+ $2.5 million in per-game roster bonuses), 2021: Free Agent

Again, that is the same as the original posting, and if that is the case, I do not like it at all. He would literally be the highest paid QB in the league next year (based on cap hit): http://overthecap.com/top-player-salaries-...B&Year=2014 which makes me want to vomit.

To me, if this is indeed true, and the $22.5 million is accurate, this is a horrible move. There was no need to front load the contract that much over the franchise tag, and handcuff the team in terms of salary cap flexibility when there were numerous alternative plans (which I know most did not like, ie sign McCown, draft WB high, use money elsewhere; use franchise tag).

Roto uses PFT as their source. So, they are basically one in the same.

Rotoworld has:

Again, that is the same as the original posting, and if that is the case, I do not like it at all. He would literally be the highest paid QB in the league next year (based on cap hit): http://overthecap.com/top-player-salaries-...B&Year=2014 which makes me want to vomit.

To me, if this is indeed true, and the $22.5 million is accurate, this is a horrible move. There was no need to front load the contract that much over the franchise tag, and handcuff the team in terms of salary cap flexibility when there were numerous alternative plans (which I know most did not like, ie sign McCown, draft WB high, use money elsewhere; use franchise tag).