Making sense of the Cutler deal

CrackerDog

Not sure I agree with this but it's a "glass half full" take on what many of us are struggling to understand.

http://gapersblock.com/tailgate/2014/01/be...iendly-deal.php

Again, I don't know what the real contract details are but it seems most are agreeing that first year salary is $22.5. If as this article suggests this doesn't stop them from going after the star defensive FA's out there, it might make sense. I'm still trying to come to grips with it.

Not sure I agree with this but it's a "glass half full" take on what many of us are struggling to understand.

Again, I don't know what the real contract details are but it seems most are agreeing that first year salary is $22.5. If as this article suggests this doesn't stop them from going after the star defensive FA's out there, it might make sense. I'm still trying to come to grips with it.

Thanks for posting. To me it is still a head scratcher. I understand them taking one bigger hit to allow some flexibility in other years of the contract, and year's 2, 3, and 4 are favorable, but damn, $22.5 million? The highest cap hit of any player in the NFL next year? To me, that is just too much. Why not add 500k to every other year and reduce Year 1 by $3 mil? We have to trust the GM, but man, this has the chance to completely blow up in our faces. I don't mind re-signing Jay but this first year cap hit is just too much.

Thanks for posting. To me it is still a head scratcher. I understand them taking one bigger hit to allow some flexibility in other years of the contract, and year's 2, 3, and 4 are favorable, but damn, $22.5 million? The highest cap hit of any player in the NFL next year? To me, that is just too much. Why not add 500k to every other year and reduce Year 1 by $3 mil? We have to trust the GM, but man, this has the chance to completely blow up in our faces. I don't mind re-signing Jay but this first year cap hit is just too much.

Well, if you do that, then it becomes more expensive to cut him later. It sounds like they're willing to tie themselves to him for three years.

With Cutler's contract and the need to improve the defense, the team must have to cut a ton to gain cap space. It has already been mentioned but guys like Bush, E Bennett, Podlesh, Hester, Peppers must be gone, don't they? I trust Emery but I don't see how you field an average defense next year without making these type of cuts to get better on the defense.

I don't expect the team to make the same leap defensively as they did with the offense, but a 15th-20th ranked defense is achievable, and that ranking might be enough. I don't see this defense ranking higher unless Phil's upcoming all defense draft absolutely kicks ass.

The article's most interesting point was essentially that the large contract doesn't mean much because so much of it goes to this year and we've got so much cap room this year so why not? 'cause we'll still have plenty to sign all our free agents and still even pursue top FAs across the league.

The problem I have with that assertion is it sounds really, really pie-in-the-sky.

It just seems like Emery/Stein were totally oblivious of what their bargaining positon was...as in, to the point of incompetence.

I'm not sure why there is so much negativity surrounding this contract. Trestman and Emery have deemed Cutler worthy of this deal and Cutler took less to stay with the Bears. That is a win win. Look down the road at the Cutler effect and you will see that Brandon marshall probably won't be a dick when it comes time to re-up. Marshall may in turn have an effect on Jeffrey, etc... Cutler and the Bears by knowing and showing could make this off season very productive in retaining the talent we want to keep without losing the ability to sign other help. Oh, and we keep the #2 scoring offense intact. I'm glad they got it done so quickly too, as we all know everything hinged on Cutler.

I'm not sure why there is so much negativity surrounding this contract. Trestman and Emery have deemed Cutler worthy of this deal and Cutler took less to stay with the Bears. That is a win win. Look down the road at the Cutler effect and you will see that Brandon marshall probably won't be a dick when it comes time to re-up. Marshall may in turn have an effect on Jeffrey, etc... Cutler and the Bears by knowing and showing could make this off season very productive in retaining the talent we want to keep without losing the ability to sign other help. Oh, and we keep the #2 scoring offense intact. I'm glad they got it done so quickly too, as we all know everything hinged on Cutler.

I am not as negative as long as there is cap space to get this defense to where it needs to be. Trestman mentioned in the presser that Cutler had been damaged in prior years, and we see it with the "ghosts". I think Cutler respects Trestman, unlike his relationship with previous coaches. Because of that, I think Cutler will continue to grow under this coaching staff. So I can accept the contract as long as it does not hamper the defense's development. Just relying on the draft to improve the defense won't be enough. Emery needs to shed players & sign some strong FA's. If they can pull all that off then great. Time will tell. It should make for a great interesting FA period.

The details of the contract are not public yet, so anybody can assume what they want. The three years of 54 is simply front loading the contract so in three years if it doesnt go the way they expect, they can cut ties with him and no cap hits. Any large contracts they might sign players to now, they can back load contracts to take the biggest hits when Cutlers contract gets easier. Stien has always been good with the cap, so I think they probably have things figured out going forward.

They did it quickly so they know what they have to spend , so I suspect they have a plan on who they want.

Cutler got what QBs get in modern NFL.

I read an article on PFF and it had Jay ranked in the top 10 this year for QBs, and they is how they paid him.

Best article I've read on it so far...

Thanks for posting.

Seem to me there is method to their madness.

Take the hit now, focus on you next season, then leave yourself more cash to play with in future years.

Given how well Cliff & the Gang have made deals...I trust that they indeed have a plan. As with any plan, you need a lot of knowledge and a little luck. Get 'em guys!

I move from worst ever to just plain bad would be a HUGE improvement on D!

I don't expect the team to make the same leap defensively as they did with the offense, but a 15th-20th ranked defense is achievable, and that ranking might be enough. I don't see this defense ranking higher unless Phil's upcoming all defense draft absolutely kicks ass.

I don't believe that for a minute.

I simply think these negotiations have been going on all year despite what was said to the media.

They took a bird int he hand over 2 in the bush.

It just seems like Emery/Stein were totally oblivious of what their bargaining positon was...as in, to the point of incompetence.

They pretty much have to backload the shit out of all the deals they sign this season with that cap number. It's basically either pay him an insane amount of money the first 3 years and leave yourself an out, or spread the pay out over 5 years at a much lower cap number, but he becomes more difficult to cut if things go bad. I prefer the former, but again, I never would have signed him to THAT type of money to begin with.

They still have plenty of cap room to add some players to the defense. Gimme 2 new starters in FA and hopefully 3 in the draft, and assuming they hit on those guys that could be a HUGE upgrade.

On the defensive side, I would be happy with Byrd or Ward at Safety and Bennett on the line for free agents, then draft 3 who can contribute.

On the defensive side, I would be happy with Byrd or Ward at Safety and Bennett on the line for free agents, then draft 3 who can contribute.

I fear boith safeties will either be resigned or franchised, I think the best safety that's gonna be available will be James Ihedigbo who I'll gladly take.....Bennett I'm hoping is a lock at around 6M against the cap.

I'm not sure why there is so much negativity surrounding this contract. Trestman and Emery have deemed Cutler worthy of this deal and Cutler took less to stay with the Bears. ...
Heh, if you don't know by now, you're not paying attention. Also, I know you realize that Cutler didn't come anywhere close to "took less", regardless of what you're willing to write on an internet forum.

I agree things hinged on Cutler, but the problem was that he didn't step up, so how do you get a big deal done quickly when Cutler left things murky by his own play? If he'd been 2/3s as valuable to this team this year as the contract he just signed, we'd be in the playoffs right now.

Here's a quote from a Tribune article coming from the agent that inspired the movie Jerry McGuire:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/footb...,7503115.column

"Cutler, obviously, has not performed at the level of Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady or Peyton Manning," Steinberg said. "And he has been injured and all the rest of it. So those are all the doubts that have to go through your mind because they are paying premium dollars for a quarterback who's not consistently great."

Steinberg believes Cutler must have won over the McCaskey family to receive such a commitment.

He goes on to describe past players who got in good with owners and it paid off...Bledsoe, Rothlisberger, etc.

The McCaskey's are no Jerry Jones, but it does put some doubt in my mind that this was all Emery.

One thing we know...Jerry Angelo hinged his career on Jay Cutler and, to my knowledge, he's out of the NFL right now. The gamble didn't pay off in time to save his job. Phil Emery has now doubled down. Good luck to him.

The thing to keep in mind is that the modern NFL has a salary cap. There's parity. Every GM is trying to field a great team. To be better than the next guy, you have to be smarter, do a good job at identifying talent and then get more bang for your buck than the other GM who also did a good job evaluating talent (you don't have to worry about the GM's who suck). It's not good enough to have a really good QB. You have to have a good entire team. Short of miracle worker coaches, you then have to have money to pay all those guys.

The alternative is to end up like Dallas. And I don't want the Bears to be Dallas (Dallas is the big team around here so I get to follow them without even trying). I admit, that's the negative thought that keeps running through my mind about Cutler's deal.

The thing to keep in mind is that the modern NFL has a salary cap. There's parity. Every GM is trying to field a great team. To be better than the next guy, you have to be smarter, do a good job at identifying talent and then get more bang for your buck than the other GM who also did a good job evaluating talent (you don't have to worry about the GM's who suck). It's not good enough to have a really good QB. You have to have a good entire team. Short of miracle worker coaches, you then have to have money to pay all those guys.

The alternative is to end up like Dallas. And I don't want the Bears to be Dallas (Dallas is the big team around here so I get to follow them without even trying). I admit, that's the negative thought that keeps running through my mind about Cutler's deal.

Romo signed a 6 year extension. Cutler a 7, the dollars match up, its the going rate if you want a QB. Wait until big Ben re-ups his. This is the new NFL, at least we didn't draft JaMarcus Russell and had to pay his rookie contract. Thats part of the nfl cba, vets will be getting the money. Plus with Jays deal, the Bears can adjust on the go and convert some of that to bonus when needed. We have a method to add cap when/if needed.