NFL looking to expand playoffs

balta1701-A

The debate is over, and the decision is made. The NFL is expanding its playoff structure, and all that's left to agree on are the procedural details.

That conclusion seems obvious based on NFL commissioner Roger Goodell's comments at a public interview Tuesday night in New York City. Goodell said adding two teams is "under serious consideration," pretty much the strongest terms he could speak in knowing it still must be approved by team owners. The options he discussed indicate the NFL is far along in the planning process.

Based on what Goodell said, it seems we can expect the league's competition committee to produce a proposal in the coming months and for a vote to occur as early as the March 23-26 owners meetings in Orlando, Fla. Based on experience, it would be unusual for Goodell to speak in such detail about a potential change if he doubted it would happen.

"It's something that the competition committee looked at last year and thinks there are some real benefits from a competitive standpoint," Goodell said. "They're going to study some aspects of that. Because when would those games occur? And one team would get a bye in each conference and you'd have six games on the weekend. So would you have three on Saturday, and three on Sunday? Or do you get one on Friday and two on Saturday and two on Sunday and one on Monday? I think those are the kinds of things we want to evaluate."

Link

I like it, it would make more meaningful games in December with a bunch more teams still alive. Also, it would help us out a lot, in 2 out of the last 3 years, we would've been the 7th seed:

Bears 8-8

Titans 9-7

Bears 10-6

Steelers 8-8

Cardinals 10-6

Steelers 8-8

Also, I love playoff football in general, even with the Bears out, I watched every game last weekend. Additionally, it would reduce the number of teams with a bye to 1 per conference, which to me is better. Any 2nd place team shouldn't get something that big. A home game is one thing, but a bye and a home game is a lot for finishing 2nd. This also only adds one game to the playoffs by adding a team and taking away a bye for the 2nd seed.

If they do this and give home games to the teams with the best records, that would be the best format. A Division winner only guarantees you a playoff spot.

Also, I love playoff football in general, even with the Bears out, I watched every game last weekend. Additionally, it would reduce the number of teams with a bye to 1 per conference, which to me is better. Any 2nd place team shouldn't get something that big. A home game is one thing, but a bye and a home game is a lot for finishing 2nd. This also only adds one game to the playoffs by adding a team and taking away a bye for the 2nd seed.

If they do this and give home games to the teams with the best records, that would be the best format. A Division winner only guarantees you a playoff spot.

I agree. If they added two teams per conference I'd be against it but because of your points above, I like it. It's still few enough teams to keep the regular season's importance.

I like it, it would make more meaningful games in December with a bunch more teams still alive. Also, it would help us out a lot, in 2 out of the last 3 years, we would've been the 7th seed:

Bears 8-8

Titans 9-7

Bears 10-6

Steelers 8-8

Cardinals 10-6

Steelers 8-8

....And Lovie Smith would have still been coach. Which I am good with but would wonder how would the offense be by now? For that matter (if playing hypothetical) how would the team have done in those playoff games? Appear in the Super Bowl again? hmmmmm... What could have been.

Me too, the old adage of 'anything can happen in the playoffs' is so true. Look at Indy and SD from this last weekend. SD is still in the running after taking out a pretty strong team in Cincy. And Indy returned from a probable romping at the hands of KC in one of the most entertaining games of recent history. I heard somewhere at the conclusion of hte two Saturday games that it was the first time in playoff history that both games were determined by less than 3 points in each game. That is pretty telling.

I agree to some degree of the "old school" way of thinking. But with the way the NFL is spreading, its only a matter of time. And you can't blame them (NFL and owners) for wanting to expand on a vey profitable venture. This just broadens that reach. I'm not a big fan of international inclusion but what's not to say it isn't the right move? Soccer is wordwide, baseball and basketball is worldwide, the NHL is internatiional why not the NFL?

I agree. If they added two teams per conference I'd be against it but because of your points above, I like it. It's still few enough teams to keep the regular season's importance.

Exactly, 8 teams is half the conference, which is too much IMO. 7 is the last number that can work without changing the playoff structure of Wild Card, Divisional, Conference rounds.

i agree. it just dilutes the NFL even more making the regular season and the playoffs more meaningless and average.

if they want to do anything eliminate the wild card spots.

Unlike other sports with 82+ games, in reality it makes more games meaningful. Just think how many more teams would be "alive" in December if there was a 7th seed. Also, if they went to only one bye, then that #1 seed becomes even more critical to achieve.

....And Lovie Smith would have still been coach. Which I am good with but would wonder how would the offense be by now? For that matter (if playing hypothetical) how would the team have done in those playoff games? Appear in the Super Bowl again? hmmmmm... What could have been.

Me too, the old adage of 'anything can happen in the playoffs' is so true. Look at Indy and SD from this last weekend. SD is still in the running after taking out a pretty strong team in Cincy. And Indy returned from a probable romping at the hands of KC in one of the most entertaining games of recent history. I heard somewhere at the conclusion of hte two Saturday games that it was the first time in playoff history that both games were determined by less than 3 points in each game. That is pretty telling.

I agree to some degree of the "old school" way of thinking. But with the way the NFL is spreading, its only a matter of time. And you can't blame them (NFL and owners) for wanting to expand on a vey profitable venture. This just broadens that reach. I'm not a big fan of international inclusion but what's not to say it isn't the right move? Soccer is wordwide, baseball and basketball is worldwide, the NHL is internatiional why not the NFL?

Very true, Lovie is probably still the coach if that was the case.

In the end, 1 more team only adds 1 more Wild Card game, which is more revenue for the league and the last team involved, but it is not such a huge change that detracts from the purpose of the playoffs.

I'm OK with Wild Cards.

I ust genrally am the frame of mind if it ain't broke, don't fix it. We don't need to turn this into the NBS free for all where everyone but 2 teams get in...

i agree. it just dilutes the NFL even more making the regular season and the playoffs more meaningless and average.

if they want to do anything eliminate the wild card spots.

I hate speaking for Lucky, but I feel we both get the argument. We just don't like it. We want it less diluted. We like tradation. (Sorry if I'm out of line , Lucky...)

Unlike other sports with 82+ games, in reality it makes more games meaningful. Just think how many more teams would be "alive" in December if there was a 7th seed. Also, if they went to only one bye, then that #1 seed becomes even more critical to achieve.

I hate speaking for Lucky, but I feel we both get the argument. We just don't like it. We want it less diluted. We like tradation. (Sorry if I'm out of line , Lucky...)

When you speak of tradition, has it always been 6 teams making it? I'm a "young gun" so I don't know.

When you speak of tradition, has it always been 6 teams making it? I'm a "young gun" so I don't know.

Actually, the league changes its playoff format every 10-12 years, so I don't know what is actually tradition anymore:

From 1978 through 1989, there were 3 division winners and 2 Wild Card teams

From 1990 through 2001, there were 3 division winners and 3 Wild Card teams

From 2002 through 2013, there were 4 division winners and 2 Wild Card teams

I personally am fine with how it currently is. All of it.

Preseason

Regular Season

Playoffs.

Leave well enough alone...

Actually, the league changes its playoff format every 10-12 years, so I don't know what is actually tradition anymore:

...And one might add that through the evolution of time so has the NFL. Since its 'founding' in 1920 it eventually merged with the AFL in the 1960's. After doing so there were 26 teams. Over time and after a few realignments, expansions and Oakland going to LA and back we find ourselves in the current format of 32 teams. As the league looks to expand itself into other markets it must somehow accomodate that growth. I don't like it either but I didn't like the loss of Lovie, the ever growing monster that is now offical replay, the red flag, penalties for hitting too hard, records being broken because of it, mock drafts and pre-mock drafts and on and on. But what is one to do?

...And one might add that through the evolution of time so has the NFL. Since its 'founding' in 1920 it eventually merged with the AFL in the 1960's. After doing so there were 26 teams. Over time and after a few realignments, expansions and Oakland going to LA and back we find ourselves in the current format of 32 teams. As the league looks to expand itself into other markets it must somehow accomodate that growth. I don't like it either but I didn't like the loss of Lovie, the ever growing monster that is now offical replay, the red flag, penalties for hitting too hard, records being broken because of it, mock drafts and pre-mock drafts and on and on. But what is one to do?

HEY NOW! Don't mock the mocks! :P

Nice rant, dude.

I agree with you on a few things but mostly on the penalties for hitting too hard. The league is killing itself with this BS and there could come a time when it isn't remotely close to "real" football and long time fans will walk away. I fully support efforts to protect player health but they've gotten carried away. You can contact a RB's helmet but not a WR's. Blah blah blah. Let's strap 'em on and play football! Dammit!

I agree with you on a few things but mostly on the penalties for hitting too hard. The league is killing itself with this BS and there could come a time when it isn't remotely close to "real" football and long time fans will walk away. I fully support efforts to protect player health but they've gotten carried away. You can contact a RB's helmet but not a WR's. Blah blah blah. Let's strap 'em on and play football! Dammit!

Couldn't agree more. When I hear people, or some players, complain about the hits and how dangerous they're getting I always think "what would Art Donovan say?" If you never heard him talk about playing football 'old school' you missed out on an awesome 'rant'. Sorry to have seen him go.

Art-Donovan.jpg

Couldn't agree more. When I hear people, or some players, complain about the hits and how dangerous they're getting I always think "what would Art Donovan say?" If you never heard him talk about playing football 'old school' you missed out on an awesome 'rant'. Sorry to have seen him go.

Letterman used to have him on fairly often. Always enjoyed those interviews!

I'm of the opinion that you should have to earn your way into the playoffs, and it should be difficult to get there. I don't like allowing more .500 level teams to sneak into the playoffs because then it becomes less important to win your division.

What I would like to see is them change the way the seedings work out. If a wild card team has a better record than a team that is a division winner, they should have home field advantage. It doesn't make any sense the way it is now.

I'm of the opinion that you should have to earn your way into the playoffs, and it should be difficult to get there. I don't like allowing more .500 level teams to sneak into the playoffs because then it becomes less important to win your division.

What I would like to see is them change the way the seedings work out. If a wild card team has a better record than a team that is a division winner, they should have home field advantage. It doesn't make any sense the way it is now.

To be fair, this woudl also allow a number of 10+ win teams into the playoffs as well. The Cardinals won 10 this year and would have had that 3rd wild card spot if it existed, they would have won both the NFC East and North if they were in those divisions, instead they missed the playoffs while being in the tough NFC west.