FML, Entire staff is back for next year minus DL Coach...

Bears4Ever_34

Bears seem committed to bad defense and special teams for at least another year.

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora 2m

Bears announce they have parted with DL coach Tim Tibesar. Rest of the staff will return

If this move doesn't work out, and we have another year like this past season, Trestman deserves to be on the hot seat.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Tucker sucks, Trestman should be in trouble. I hate this idea. Really bad. Clearly getting rid of dine coach makes sense but Dcoord should have been gone as should ST coach. Pathetic. freakin pathetic. It couldn't be more clear how poorly coached both units went. We went from tops in the league in special teams and defense to being pretty shitty.

What really blows is that now Tucker will have more built in excuses for failing next year. They'll say it's tough to rebuild a defense in 1 year, and it's tough to be good with so many rookie starters..

I might boycott the season if no scheme changes happen on Defense. At least say we are running a 3-4, or some sort of hybrid D instead of having an incompetent DC run the same Lovie shit he tried to teach last year when it failed miserably.

Meh, injuries were huge, I can't deny that

So huge that we should have been a historically awful defense? Every team goes through similar injuries to one side of the ball every year, and not all of them end up giving up the 2nd most rushing yards in the history of the NFL. Every area on defense the Bears were bad in is directly reflective on coaching. Gap discipline, and angles.

Mel Tucker has NEVER, I repeat NEVER been good at his job. This guy is freakin awful and his teams are always at the bottom of the league in sacks. You will never win a Superbowl with a defense that can't pressure the quarterback. I don't care what you do offensively.

I'll go back to what I've said in the past. Go back and re-watch the first few games of the year on defense when most of the players were healthy, and you could see signs of a bad defense.

yes so huge that they should have been historically bad.

When the key to the style of defense you run is the DL and you're forced to throw out some of the hot garbage they did on said DL the whole D is gonna suffer.

I wanted a new DC myself, but I'm not gonna pretend they were god awful because of Mel.

When the key to the style of defense you run is the DL and you're forced to throw out some of the hot garbage they did on said DL the whole D is gonna suffer.

I wanted a new DC myself, but I'm not gonna pretend they were god awful because of Mel.

What a crock.

We went through some unfortunate injury plagued seasons under Lovie on defense and NEVER looked like this.

The fact that we continued to regress every week and he wasn't able to at least stop the bleeding is a major red flag on the coordinator. People also fail to remember how bad we looked in weeks 1-4 with mostly healthy players. The turnovers mask a lot of things, but the signs were there early.

I'm going to agree with this.

Peace :dabears

This defense blows again next season, not only should Tucker be fired so should Trestman as well as Emery. But the Bears being the Bears, they will tolerate average.

I cannot believe the worst defense in franchise history leads to the dismissal of assistant coaches only. If this is indeed true then there has to be a house cleaning of major proportions on the roster.

Mel Tucker has no track record to fall back on as a reason to be retained. He has been a mediocre coordinator from forever. There is no evidence that it will get better.

It is so Bear like; we have Lovie Smith who thought offense was offensive and could not get it together to field a competent team on that side of the ball. Now we go to the other extreme and get Mr. Wizard would not know a good defense if it bit him in the ass. Welcome to another decade of playing second and third fiddle in the division.

What a crock.

We went through some unfortunate injury plagued seasons under Lovie on defense and NEVER looked like this.

The fact that we continued to regress every week and he wasn't able to at least stop the bleeding is a major red flag on the coordinator.

Find me a year where the DL....

-Lost their starting pro bowl DT.

-Lost their 2nd string DT

-Had their 3rd string DT quit on them.

-Had their other starting DT battle injuries all year

-Was forced to play their starting 270 pound DE at DT.

-Because of being forced to play your starting DE at DT they were forced to play a 3rd down rush DE as an every down DE.

-Lost their best run stuffing LB for nearly half the season.

Find me a year where the DL....

-Lost their starting pro bowl DT.

-Lost their 2nd string DT

-Had their 3rd string DT quit on them.

-Had their other starting DT battle injuries all year

-Was forced to play their starting 270 pound DE at DT.

-Because of being forced to play your starting DE at DT they were forced to play a 3rd down rush DE as an every down DE.

-Lost their best run stuffing LB for nearly half the season.

The 2013 Cincinnati Bengals went through a similar injury plagued season on defense and weren't historically awful.

How disappointing.

Yep, if we are awful again, Trestman and Emery should be on the hot seat.

Bears seem committed to bad defense and special teams for at least another year.

If this move doesn't work out, and we have another year like this past season, Trestman deserves to be on the hot seat.

Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

If the D is awful again, you oust the DC, and Emery takes charge and starts hiring the D side of the ball.

This defense blows again next season, not only should Tucker be fired so should Trestman as well as Emery. But the Bears being the Bears, they will tolerate average.

I cannot believe the worst defense in franchise history leads to the dismissal of assistant coaches only. If this is indeed true then there has to be a house cleaning of major proportions on the roster.

Mel Tucker has no track record to fall back on as a reason to be retained. He has been a mediocre coordinator from forever. There is no evidence that it will get better.

It is so Bear like; we have Lovie Smith who thought offense was offensive and could not get it together to field a competent team on that side of the ball. Now we go to the other extreme and get Mr. Wizard would not know a good defense if it bit him in the ass. Welcome to another decade of playing second and third fiddle in the division.

In Phair's case, he was dealt a difficult hand having lost Henry Melton and Nate Collins to season-ending injuries. But Phair was never able to get the best out of former first-round pick Shea McClellin (29 tackles, four sacks), and defensive tackle Stephen Paea, although hobbled most of the year with a turf toe injury, posted 29 tackles and 1 1/2 sacks in his third season, after producing at least two sacks in each of his first two years. Perennial Pro Bowler Julius Peppers, meanwhile, finished with 7 ½ sacks after generating 11 sacks or more in each of the last two years. Of all the club's defensive linemen expected to play key roles in 2013, it's probably safe to say that Corey Wootton was the only player to show any improvement of that group.

No outside candidates to replace Phair have emerged, but it's likely the Bears will promote assistant defensive line coach Michael Sinclair to the post. In his first year with the Bears, Sinclair worked under head coach Marc Trestman as the defensive line coach of the Montreal Alouettes for all of the coach's years in the Canadian Football League.

Tibesar had also spent time with Trestman in the CFL, but worked all of 2012 as the defensive coordinator and linebackers coach at Purdue before joining the Bears. The Bears started the season with a veteran group at linebacker in D.J. Williams, James Anderson and Lance Briggs, but the position group fell off dramatically when forced to play rookies Jonathan Bostic and Khaseem Greene for extended periods due to injuries to the veterans.

While Bostic showed promise early on, he improved slightly, but not significantly enough as the season progressed, which was likely unacceptable for Trestman and general manager Phil Emery, given the rookie's tremendous upside, coupled with the fact he received plenty of snaps at one of the most important positions on Chicago's defense to gain enough experience to make a marked jump. Even after Briggs returned from a seven-game absence and was paired alongside Anderson and Bostic, the group still struggled.

Defensive coordinator Mel Tucker drew most of the criticism from the general public for the collapse of the franchise's once-vaunted defense in 2013, but several factors such as injuries conspired beyond his control as well as Phair and Tibesar. During the team's thorough self-evaluation over the past several days, the Bears looked closely at every aspect and likely determined they could coax more out of the linebackers and defensive line than Emery and Trestman thought Phair and Tibesar were capable of.

What does it mean for Tucker? That's unknown, but Trestman gave Tucker another vote of confidence when the team made the announcement Sunday about Phair and Tibesar. Tucker will join some of the team's other staff members on Monday in St. Petersburg, Fla., at the East-West Shrine Bowl.

“We believe Mel is the right person to lead our defensive unit,” Trestman said. “He fully understands where we need to improve, has the skill set and leadership to oversee the changes that need to be made, and to execute our plan to get the results we know are necessary.”

Link

The 2013 Cincinnati Bengals went through a similar injury plagued season on defense and weren't historically awful.

Except it wasn't really that similar.

Their DEs were healthy all but 1 game and weren't forced to move out of position. Their starting NT played every game. Their backup for Atkins was a 3rd round pick.

Their best run stuffer, Burfict played every game and racked up 171 tackles.

Horse shit. A few token guys get canned but the leader stays. Reminds me of the Reagan Administration. Oh well, as others have said, fix the D this year or the whole staff is subject to getting shitcanned.

I understand the Bears are trying to be loyal to Tucker and not fire him after one incredibly jinxed season. With that said, they damn well better make major changes to personnel and scheme because this shit was downright embarrassing.

Except it wasn't really that similar.

Their DEs were healthy all but 1 game and weren't forced to move out of position. Their starting NT played every game. Their backup for Atkins was a 3rd round pick.

Their best run stuffer, Burfict played every game and racked up 171 tackles.

So in your mind, what was Mel Tucker accountable for this year on defense? Anything?

So in your mind, what was Mel Tucker accountable for this year on defense? Anything?

Who knows, but I just don't blame them for giving him another chance.....

Cowboys were in the same situation injury wise, had a defense that gave up 300 more yards than the Bears, and their staff has remained intact so far.

Who knows, but I just don't blame them for giving him another chance.....

Cowboys were in the same situation injury wise, had a defense that gave up 300 more yards than the Bears, and their staff has remained intact so far.

To be fair the other way though..."The Cowboys management is doing the same thing!" is about the worst justification for a football decision you can make in the post-Al Davis era.

To be fair the other way though..."The Cowboys management is doing the same thing!" is about the worst justification for a football decision you can make in the post-Al Davis era.

Touche.

Point kinda remains though. You can't expect to be any good when you have a glut of injuries all across the board, and particularly on the DL when the key to your D is just that, the DL.

The standard we should have is if Belichick would've done better, we didn't live up to expectations. He's a prick but he's the best. Can you imagine THAT GUY fielding a defense this god-aweful no matter what injuries his team took? I cannot. His backups would've been better prepared. He would've changed whatever was necessary to the scheme to put the players he had in the best possible position to succeed.

I hope I'm wrong and Tucker kicks major ass next season. But this doesn't sit well with me.