Are we moving Houston inside to stay??

Ty Nitty

We need 2 DTs, not 1, and they both need to good enough to challenge for playing time or a roster spot.

I'm ok with Ratliff but he's at the end of his career. Paea has never proven reliable. Collins is coming off a serious knee injury. I don't count Izzy as a DT (despite my suspicions that his versatility is the main reason he was signed). I don't count Houston as a DT either. There is no reason to take Houston, a guy that's a strength at DE against both run and pass, and make him a weakness at DT. Kicking either him or Izzy inside on occasion for pass rush is fine by me.

At this point we're drafting 2 DTs unless we sign another FA DT, which is entirely possible. Even if we do sign someone, at this point to a vet min deal, I think we're likely to draft 2 DTs one early and one late. At the top of the draft our needs have to be DT, CB, and S.

We've infused our DE position with two young talented players (Houston, Young) we need someone in that category at DT. Final roster likely keeps 9 Dlinemen, so figure 4 DTs, 4 DEs and one swing player in Izzy? Not that I think Izzy is a lock to make the roster. Competition for that 4th DE spot just heated up big time.

Agreed.

Allen>Tillman>Briggs

Even when he was in his prime, Lance wasn't even't the best LB on the team. Not to mention, the last time we saw him he looked fat, slow, and old.

Look, it speaks to how far our defensive has fallen that we are debating Allen vs. Briggs. But on those pre-game shows, they will never high-light Lance Briggs as being the face of the defense.

I know I was a supporter of a TE, but signing Allen changed nothing about DT/FS.....But if HaHa and Donald are gone and they can't trade down, that's where I start to consider Ebron....Who some scouts have said might be the best TE in the league right off the bat.

Pretty much. If there is a 1st round rated FS or DT there, then TE is a ridiculous pick in the first. Same goes for the second round. And for that matter, CB has to be in there. TE is just far too great a luxury when there are glaring holes and problems elsewhere, especially for a guy who drops 11% of the passes thrown his way.

I do tend to agree, and do doubt they actually do it. I know you still want Haha and I still want Donald. But lets say both are gone and they can't find a trade partner, where do you go from there?

OT is a strong possibility and I suppose CB is as well(I'm fine with waiting on a CB till the mid rounds this year), but I wouldn't hate to see a TE in this scenario.

If Trestman DOES want another premier TE, and they CAN trade down (hypothetically with the 9ers and getting their 2R pick) I'd love to see....

1R(30)- Nix/Jernigan/Tuitt- Looking at WF Nix was taken at 29 but Jernigan and Tuitt are still there. With the thought that Houston will be moved inside on passing downs I'm ok with taking a guy like Nix or Jernigan who might not be great pass rushers.

2R(51)- Deone Buccanon/Keith McGill/Lamarcus Joyner/Terrance Brooks- I want the FS to have good cover skills, the last 3 have CB experience. McGill might not wanna convert back to safety, and Joyner might be viewed as too small, but Brooks should be a solid fit. Deone might not be as good in coverage but he's showed last year that h's certainly capable.

2R(56 0r 61)- Austin Seferian-Jenkins- Along with being a good receiver he's also said to be a real good blocker, something that Bennett is not. In 2 TE packages they could put Jenkins in line, and Bennett spread out wide.

Easy. If HHCD and Donald are gone, I'm sure someone like Nix or Jernigan are there. If not, there was a huge run on DTs and something crazy might have happened where an absolute BPA falls to the Bears.

On paper it would be but we just don't know what Trestman wants in his offense. If they take a TE in the first few rounds it's with the intentions of using a lot of2 TE sets. They wouldn't take a guy like Ebron to be the backup TE who rarely plays. They could potentially use the ace formation (2WR/2TE/1RB) as their base offense meaning Ebron would be out there a ton.

I agree that they should still go with a FS and a DT in the first 2 rounds though, unless they like guys who they KNOW they'll be able to grab later on.

I'm sorry, there are way too many other BPA's available at need positions to pass. This D needs to get younger. It is significantly upgraded from the unit we had most of last season but youth is a major concern on that side of the football. We need to find Forte's replacement before we need to waste a top pick on a TE. I would put RB / Slot WR / C all ahead of TE. If I'm drafting a TE, it is Fiedoritz or someone else late in the draft (and it would also be because we racked up a few more picks via trade downs). I think Emery is going to get a CB in the first two rounds.

I do tend to agree, and do doubt they actually do it. I know you still want Haha and I still want Donald. But lets say both are gone and they can't find a trade partner, where do you go from there?

OT is a strong possibility and I suppose CB is as well(I'm fine with waiting on a CB till the mid rounds this year), but I wouldn't hate to see a TE in this scenario.

If Trestman DOES want another premier TE, and they CAN trade down (hypothetically with the 9ers and getting their 2R pick) I'd love to see....

1R(30)- Nix/Jernigan/Tuitt- Looking at WF Nix was taken at 29 but Jernigan and Tuitt are still there. With the thought that Houston will be moved inside on passing downs I'm ok with taking a guy like Nix or Jernigan who might not be great pass rushers.

2R(51)- Deone Buccanon/Keith McGill/Lamarcus Joyner/Terrance Brooks- I want the FS to have good cover skills, the last 3 have CB experience. McGill might not wanna convert back to safety, and Joyner might be viewed as too small, but Brooks should be a solid fit. Deone might not be as good in coverage but he's showed last year that h's certainly capable.

2R(56 0r 61)- Austin Seferian-Jenkins- Along with being a good receiver he's also said to be a real good blocker, something that Bennett is not. In 2 TE packages they could put Jenkins in line, and Bennett spread out wide.

If those guys are off the board, one of the two top CB's are on the board. That is a way more important need then a back-up TE. Especially when we have Marshall, Jeffrey, and Bennett. A speedy receiver is more important and I do think we have a need at wide-out. I like Wilson and Hixon is obviously a depth move but we need another young wideout and I think with our mix we can find someone late and let Bmarsh / Jeffrey groom them.

I'm sorry, there are way too many other BPA's available at need positions to pass. This D needs to get younger. It is significantly upgraded from the unit we had most of last season but youth is a major concern on that side of the football. We need to find Forte's replacement before we need to waste a top pick on a TE. I would put RB / Slot WR / C all ahead of TE. If I'm drafting a TE, it is Fiedoritz or someone else late in the draft (and it would also be because we racked up a few more picks via trade downs). I think Emery is going to get a CB in the first two rounds.

To me, I'd put backup TE/RB/QB all in the same category of positions where we should be adding a quality #2....Bears still have around 8m in cap space and I kinda expect 1 or 2 of those spots addressed in FA.

Drafting a TE over a RB would be made with the thought that Trestman would want to run a lot of 2 TE sets, which means the TE would play a bigger role than the backup RB. RB is obviously a need though.

Last year we kept hearing things like....

But if Trestman's camp so far has been any indication, he wants to use a wide variety of personnel packages, including two-tight-end sets that have become a staple elsewhere.

-from a tribune article

...which is where the whole want for a 2nd TE comes from.

I've backpedaled on the whole Ebron pick thing because he's not a inline TE who would complement Bennett, who's not a great blocker. Butdepending on who's there (

As far as a speedy slot guy goes, I just don't think thats a big need in a WCO. I think Trestman really likes to use his big guys in the slot to try and create a mismatch.

As for center, I really think the Bears are high on Boggs and see him as the center of the future.

As far as CB goes, I'm kinda mixed here. I understand the thought behind taking a CB early, but I think they wait until the 3-4 round range and take a guy like Walt Aikens who could use some seasoning under the wings of Tillman/Jennings.

That's just how I view things.

To me, I'd put backup TE/RB/QB all in the same category of positions where we should be adding a quality #2....Bears still have around 8m in cap space and I kinda expect 1 or 2 of those spots addressed in FA.

Drafting a TE over a RB would be made with the thought that Trestman would want to run a lot of 2 TE sets, which means the TE would play a bigger role than the backup RB. RB is obviously a need though.

Last year we kept hearing things like....

-from a tribune article

...which is where the whole want for a 2nd TE comes from.

I've backpedaled on the whole Ebron pick thing because he's not a inline TE who would complement Bennett, who's not a great blocker. Butdepending on who's there (

As far as a speedy slot guy goes, I just don't think thats a big need in a WCO. I think Trestman really likes to use his big guys in the slot to try and create a mismatch.

As for center, I really think the Bears are high on Boggs and see him as the center of the future.

As far as CB goes, I'm kinda mixed here. I understand the thought behind taking a CB early, but I think they wait until the 3-4 round range and take a guy like Walt Aikens who could use some seasoning under the wings of Tillman/Jennings.

That's just how I view things.

Its completely possible we take a CB with the first pick. Gilbert would give us a returner besides an youth to the back of the defense. Hayden, and Tillman are at the end. Jennings is no spring chicken.

Bennett may not be a great blocker but he is good. Remember most of the year he couldn't block because he messed up his shoulder going after that Cutler pass that was 12ft in the air over the end zone. He never got that right before the end of the year but he fought through and played for us all year. I have no issue with a guy playing through pain to help out where he could but it meant Britton took on a bigger role as extra blocker.

Two, what we did see of Bennett early on was while the entire offense was learning the new scheme. I think in his 2nd season in this offense he'll have a much better feel for the blocking assignments and we'll see him block well enough to seal the edge on running plays.

If we draft a S with our first pick, I think I can guarantee he will be starting in his first year. If we grab Gilbert, he could be starting at slot CB spot. If we grab Donald would absolutely be in the rotation.

Yeah, pretty much echoing this. A first round safety will absolutely start over Conte.