Shocker: Cutler anonymously dissed by ex-coaches/players

madlithuanian

A whole lot of Jay Cutler’s ex-coaches are ripping him, anonymously

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/...im-anonymously/

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/bears/post...with-jay-cutler

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 4, 2015, 2:29 PM EST

Jay Cutler

AP

Bears quarterback Jay Cutler has rubbed a lot of his coaches the wrong way during his time in Chicago, and now they’re ripping him in the media — but not putting their names behind their criticism.

ESPN cites “at least 10 former Chicago Bears staffers from the Lovie Smith and Marc Trestman regimes” who say they don’t think the Bears can contend for a title with Cutler as the quarterback. None of those “at least 10″ are mentioned by name.

In addition, two teammates, also speaking anonymously, say they’d rather not keep playing with Cutler.

The reasons for all the animosity toward Cutler seem to stem from his personality, as those who have worked with him say he lacks leadership qualities and is not a positive presence in the Bears’ locker room. There’s also talk that he didn’t run the offense the way the coaches wanted, and that in hindsight some people within the organization think Cutler should have lost his starting job to Josh McCown in 2013.

Of course, that hindsight is diametrically opposed to what everyone was saying at the time: The Bears’ coaches and executives said in 2013 that Cutler was clearly the right man for the job, which was why they gave him a huge contract extension. Now that huge contract is a millstone around the Bears’ necks. It won’t be easy for the Bears to move on from Cutler any time soon, as his $15.5 million 2015 base salary is fully guaranteed, and $10 million of his $16 million 2016 base salary becomes fully guaranteed if he’s still on the Bears’ roster a week from now.

New Bears General Manager Ryan Pace and coach John Fox haven’t committed to Cutler as their starting quarterback, but realistically, if he’s still on the team in a week, the Bears are probably stuck with him not just for this year, but for next year as well. Even if those who know Cutler best don’t think highly of him, he’s probably not going anywhere.

Yeah, honestly nothing new in that blurb.

I think some other QB's would have handled the adversity better sadly...

I think under the right circumstances you can win with Cutler.

I think you need your Head Coach to be that strong leader that Cutler just isn't, and you need a good defense, which is the case with nearly every QB sans the truly elite ones.

I think John Fox is that strong vocal leader, and now they just need to get the defense straightened out.

Remember, for a 3 year stretch Jay was 27-13 and went to an NFC title game. 2 of those years he didn't have Marshall, he had Alshon 1 year but he only started 6 games and didn't emerge yet, and he only had 1 year with a legit TE.

All that said, even I will say if you can trade him, go for it.

It's possible, just highly improbable...

I think under the right circumstances you can win with Cutler.

I think you need your Head Coach to be that strong leader that Cutler just isn't, and you need a good defense, which is the case with nearly every QB sans the truly elite ones.

I think John Fox is that strong vocal leader, and now they just need to get the defense straightened out.

Remember, for a 3 year stretch Jay was 27-13 and went to an NFC title game. 2 of those years he didn't have Marshall, he had Alshon 1 year but he only started 6 games and didn't emerge yet, and he only had 1 year with a legit TE.

All that said, even I will say if you can trade him, go for it.

So a bunch of ex-bear coaches, who probably sucked at their job while in Chicago, want to diss Cutler but do not have the balls to say it in public, want the anonymity tag. I have always had trouble taking anything from someone who does not want to be named as the source seriously.

They could be right, but if they do not want to be named, then they should just shut the hell up.

Just my opinion.

If they truly feel that way why not come out of the closet.

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 4, 2015, 2:29 PM EST

Jay Cutler

AP

Bears quarterback Jay Cutler has rubbed a lot of his coaches the wrong way during his time in Chicago, and now they’re ripping him in the media — but not putting their names behind their criticism.

ESPN cites “at least 10 former Chicago Bears staffers from the Lovie Smith and Marc Trestman regimes” who say they don’t think the Bears can contend for a title with Cutler as the quarterback. None of those “at least 10″ are mentioned by name.

In addition, two teammates, also speaking anonymously, say they’d rather not keep playing with Cutler.

The reasons for all the animosity toward Cutler seem to stem from his personality, as those who have worked with him say he lacks leadership qualities and is not a positive presence in the Bears’ locker room. There’s also talk that he didn’t run the offense the way the coaches wanted, and that in hindsight some people within the organization think Cutler should have lost his starting job to Josh McCown in 2013.

Of course, that hindsight is diametrically opposed to what everyone was saying at the time: The Bears’ coaches and executives said in 2013 that Cutler was clearly the right man for the job, which was why they gave him a huge contract extension. Now that huge contract is a millstone around the Bears’ necks. It won’t be easy for the Bears to move on from Cutler any time soon, as his $15.5 million 2015 base salary is fully guaranteed, and $10 million of his $16 million 2016 base salary becomes fully guaranteed if he’s still on the Bears’ roster a week from now.

New Bears General Manager Ryan Pace and coach John Fox haven’t committed to Cutler as their starting quarterback, but realistically, if he’s still on the team in a week, the Bears are probably stuck with him not just for this year, but for next year as well. Even if those who know Cutler best don’t think highly of him, he’s probably not going anywhere.

DUH!!!! (bolded)

Who was it that said it was insulting for Brian Billick to compare Cutler to Jeff George?

And going into a little more on this article, on the one hand you have folks that anonymously rip Cutler for his performance where you have one, Kromer who did it publicly and all heck broke loose. Either anonymously or publicly this is all consistent with what some of us have been seeing and commenting on. If the public rifts between Martz and Tice were not indicative enough....then not much else will.

I'm fairly convinced at this point that there is nearly no way to successfully win with Cutler as QB. But I am a simple observer. If any major developments occur in the QB position for Chicago, we'll soon know what Fox and Pace had planned all along.

I'm fairly convinced at this point that there is nearly no way to successfully win with Cutler as QB. But I am a simple observer. If any major developments occur in the QB position for Chicago, we'll soon know what Fox and Pace had planned all along.

What about with a good defense? Ya know like the 3 years he went 27-13.

As I said, I'm cool with trading Cutler, but think it's still possible to win with him.

As much as we'd like that as a fan base. No player or coach wants that scrutiny. Just look at what happened with Kromer...

Nothing said in this article should surprise anyone. And even though these sources don't give their names...much of what they say virtually everyone agrees upon to some extent large or small.

All that said, I fully trust with the team does at this point.

So a bunch of ex-bear coaches, who probably sucked at their job while in Chicago, want to diss Cutler but do not have the balls to say it in public, want the anonymity tag. I have always had trouble taking anything from someone who does not want to be named as the source seriously.

They could be right, but if they do not want to be named, then they should just shut the hell up.

Just my opinion.

As much as we'd like that as a fan base. No player or coach wants that scrutiny. Just look at what happened with Kromer...

Nothing said in this article should surprise anyone. And even though these sources don't give their names...much of what they say virtually everyone agrees upon to some extent large or small.

If they were "current" coaches, of course, do not do a "Kromer"

My understanding is these "opinionated" individuals are not with the team any more.

There is no reason for them to not own up to their comments, again, IMO.

I am just not one to give credence to "anonymous sources"

Just my opinion.

Yeah, I feel the same way. So because Cutler didn't work the system that Trestman had that makes him someone you can't win with? I don't buy it. A malcontent? Sure. But you can win with Cutler. You just can't win with an unhappy Cutler who decides to ignore your system and do his own thing. Give Cutler a system he likes, support him with a strong OL, move him around and outside of the pocket, then I bet Cutler suddenly becomes a happy camper you can use to his maximum.

Yeah, I feel the same way. So because Cutler didn't work the system that Trestman had

...nor the one that Turner, Martz, Tice, or even McDaniels had. Granted not many, save Daniels, is doing much now but there are those that would say Cutler is a career killer. So perhaps there is truth to that? I'd have to at least think the constant in all that is Cutler. Tell me again his overall record and how many playoff games he's won?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/rosen...203-column.html

that makes him someone you can't win with? I don't buy it. A malcontent? Sure. But you can win with Cutler. You just can't win with an unhappy Cutler who decides to ignore your system and do his own thing. Give Cutler a system he likes, support him with a strong OL, move him around and outside of the pocket, then I bet Cutler suddenly becomes a happy camper you can use to his maximum.

And in response to the bolded; this is most of the time. As someone else pointed out, other QB's have managed to do more with less. Aaron Rodgers is a prime example. For awhile there he was getting sacked more often than was Cutler and didn't have the players around him that Cutler did and still managed to put together winning seasons time and again. Hell the defense in some of those years was worse than was in Chicago those same years.

Some will offer every excuse in the book to believe he'll succeed but until that's a proven theory, I'll continue to have my doubts.

...nor the one that Turner, Martz, Tice, or even McDaniels had. Granted not many, save Daniels, is doing much now but there are those that would say Cutler is a career killer. So perhaps there is truth to that? I'd have to at least think the constant in all that is Cutler. Tell me again his overall record and how many playoff games he's won?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/rosen...203-column.html

And in response to the bolded; this is most of the time. As someone else pointed out, other QB's have managed to do more with less. Aaron Rodgers is a prime example. For awhile there he was getting sacked more often than was Cutler and didn't have the players around him that Cutler did and still managed to put together winning seasons time and again. Hell the defense in some of those years was worse than was in Chicago those same years.

Some will offer every excuse in the book to believe he'll succeed but until that's a proven theory, I'll continue to have my doubts.

You can't rreally compare Jay and Aaron Rodgers though. I really think Aaron Rodgers could go down as one of the greatest QBs of all time.

My biggest take away from those articles is that Jay is apparently friends with Gase, so Jay should be happy this year with his OC.

You can't rreally compare Jay and Aaron Rodgers though. I really think Aaron Rodgers could go down as one of the greatest QBs of all time.
I can if Rodgers is able to perform with less available to him and similar obstacles to overcome.

My biggest take away from those articles is that Jay is apparently friends with Gase, so Jay should be happy this year with his OC.
As is Pace familar with Aaron Kromer.

I can if Rodgers is able to perform with less available to him and similar obstacles to overcome.

As is Pace familar with Aaron Kromer.

Well you can compare the 2 but I just think it's a little silly/unfair to compare a sure fire hall of famer with Jay Cutler.

I understand us fans wanting to see who is saying what, but if I were their agent, I'd make sure to tell them not to put their name to it. It simply does them no good. Some may be coaching elsewhere and some may want to coach down the road. So, comments such as these aren't helpful to one's career. It'ss the writer wanting to get a story and digging up dirt.

I feel like Saul Goodman here! I'm defending guys I really don't want to defend. But, I understand why they are not attaching their names.

If they were "current" coaches, of course, do not do a "Kromer"

My understanding is these "opinionated" individuals are not with the team any more.

There is no reason for them to not own up to their comments, again, IMO.

I am just not one to give credence to "anonymous sources"

I understand us fans wanting to see who is saying what, but if I were their agent, I'd make sure to tell them not to put their name to it. It simply does them no good. Some may be coaching elsewhere and some may want to coach down the road. So, comments such as these aren't helpful to one's career. It'ss the writer wanting to get a story and digging up dirt.

I feel like Saul Goodman here! I'm defending guys I really don't want to defend. But, I understand why they are not attaching their names.

And it is also very easy for a writer to take liberties and say any damn thing they want to get pub and claim it was from anonymous sources.