Robert Quinn a bear

Stinger226

Watching Montgomery last year, I am convinced that he is an excellent running back, maybe even "special" but he just had absolutely no holes, and no rhythm in calling running plays.

Given a reasonable opportunity, he will succeed to the point where people will buy his jersey.

2 hours ago, FlyfishingBear said:

Montgomery averaged less than 4 yards a carry, we all agree the line was not good, but I don't know if Montgomery is any good either.  I'm not sure we even have a starting RB on the team yet. 

I'm with you. Still not convinced Montgomery is starting material yet.  Sure having more offense around him will help decide that but I'm still skeptical.  I would've suggested trying to bring back Jordan Howard to compliment Montgomery's running style but it looks like he's (Jordan) headed to Miami.  

Grizz, Montgomery is awesome, and he is MUCH better than Howard. I know the overal running game asnt great last year, but Montgomery makes fast decisions, hit the hole with authority, has a wicked cut, and fights hard for extra years. THe stats arent there, but if you watch him, you see that he gets the most yards possible out of every run he had.

Oh, and also some personal attack. I dont have time to think of one, so just imagine one. Thanks :P

8 minutes ago, BearFan NYC said:

Grizz, Montgomery is awesome, and he is MUCH better than Howard. I know the overal running game asnt great last year, but Montgomery makes fast decisions, hit the hole with authority, has a wicked cut, and fights hard for extra years. THe stats arent there, but if you watch him, you see that he gets the most yards possible out of every run he had.

Oh, and also some personal attack. I dont have time to think of one, so just imagine one. Thanks :P

I’d agree that Monty is better than Jordan but only in the things that Howard can’t do; like catch out of the backfield and zig and zag. Jordan’s forte is more North / South running and getting 1000 yds a year while doing it (on average).  I’d think of him more like a complimentary back than workhorse.

There was a lady I worked with while in the service who hailed from Gambia.  She would occasionally call me a “Trouble-makah” for no reason😎.  Her accent was what made it even more serious.  When she said it  I knew I was in trouble.  I dub thee...troublemakah.  

4 hours ago, BearFan NYC said:

I think 2nd string RBs arent so hard to find. If the OL makes holes, they do OK, if they dont, they get nothing. So, not surprisingly, I think we need to get serious about the OL. And I think that is still to come this year too.

The best scenario is take a  OT in the 2nd round and then play him at RG this year . Then Leno be gone.  Put him on the wing.

8 hours ago, Connorbear said:

White - gone. 

Floyd - gone. 

Trubisky - here but may no be the starter anymore

Smith - Possible all pro

Only Smith has worked out.  Trubisky is a huge ? right now. 

Peace

Saying Roquan has worked out and is a possible all pro is REALLY optimistic.  

56 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

Montgomery reminds me of Chris Martin.

I could see that but when I first saw him I instantly thought of Maurice Jones Drew.  Maybe it was the number 32 or the way he pinballs through people (not necessarily north south).  But of course when I suggested that I was told I was wrong... *sigh*

👎

1 hour ago, Stinger226 said:

The best scenario is take a  OT in the 2nd round and then play him at RG this year . Then Leno be gone.  Put him on the wing.

I agree an OT has to be one of those 2nds. The other could go WR, SS, CB.  Sign another FA at one of those positions, then we are getting close to using a high pick on QB? Having two extra roster positions would wisely be used on keeping another decent QB on tab.

7 hours ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

I agree an OT has to be one of those 2nds. The other could go WR, SS, CB.  Sign another FA at one of those positions, then we are getting close to using a high pick on QB? Having two extra roster positions would wisely be used on keeping another decent QB on tab.

I think the draft is going to be about O in the front picks.  Ol, Ol, QB, WR, and another TE. If they legitimately go with BPA, there will have a choice of all the TEs, WRs and OL should have many choices.  So my question is to you guys ( what you think the bears will do, not necessarily your choice) if a OL , WR, or TE valued choice is there at 43, what position do they choice first? 

My view:

since maybe only 1 TE will be off the board and is considered not great draft , I think they will think they can still get one in the 4th round of similar value, it won't be a TE. 

Between a potential starting OT being there or WR , I think they take the OT . The WR group has the most depth The OT probably wont start a either OT spot this year , that they use him at the needed RG spot and put him at OT next year when they can dumb our OTs.

So OT----WR----TE.   I think a speedy WR would have more impact on the team than the TE this year. Like a Mims, Reagor or Claypool should all be in the 50th pick range. 

43 Ezra Cleveland/ /OT

50 Chase Claypool 

140 Bycen Hopkins 

5 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

I think the draft is going to be about O in the front picks.  Ol, Ol, QB, WR, and another TE. If they legitimately go with BPA, there will have a choice of all the TEs, WRs and OL should have many choices.  So my question is to you guys ( what you think the bears will do, not necessarily your choice) if a OL , WR, or TE valued choice is there at 43, what position do they choice first? 

My view:

since maybe only 1 TE will be off the board and is considered not great draft , I think they will think they can still get one in the 4th round of similar value, it won't be a TE. 

Between a potential starting OT being there or WR , I think they take the OT . The WR group has the most depth The OT probably wont start a either OT spot this year , that they use him at the needed RG spot and put him at OT next year when they can dumb our OTs.

So OT----WR----TE.   I think a speedy WR would have more impact on the team than the TE this year. Like a Mims, Reagor or Claypool should all be in the 50th pick range. 

43 Ezra Cleveland/ /OT

50 Chase Claypool 

140 Bycen Hopkins 

OT seems likely with one of the 2nd Rd picks but I wouldn't discount  a BPA choice if someone falls at CB or OLB.  I still like Zach Baun and don't mind adding another pass rusher/ILB.  We can't go into the season with just Quinn and Mack.  Same thing goes for adding a really good talent at CB.   We just have to wait and see how the draft falls.  With so much WR depth there could be a run on OTs which might leave a really good prospect at another position we need.  

11 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

OT seems likely with one of the 2nd Rd picks but I wouldn't discount  a BPA choice if someone falls at CB or OLB.  I still like Zach Baun and don't mind adding another pass rusher/ILB.  We can't go into the season with just Quinn and Mack.  Same thing goes for adding a really good talent at CB.   We just have to wait and see how the draft falls.  With so much WR depth there could be a run on OTs which might leave a really good prospect at another position we need.  

It's really impossible to say before free agency plays out a bit more.  Pace likes to patch holes in FA and go BPA in the draft, but the Bears are kind of cash strapped and currently are missing starters at SS, #2 CB (unless you are a real believer in Toliver) and RG.  You can probably get a starter at RG if you trade down in the 2nd or even early 3rd round, but you probably need to use one of those 2nd round picks on a #2 CB or SS if you still don't have a viable starter when the draft rolls around.  The Bears have a #1 WR in Robinson and someone they drafted to be their #2 WR in Miller, and the draft is deep enough at WR that you can get a speed option like John Hightower or Devin Duvernay in the middle rounds if that's what you want.

• 2 weeks later...

I heard a podcast ( locked on bears) that had a interview with a beat writer for Dallas . Quinn had the best win rate for 1 on 1 blocking in the league last year. He is going to make a huge addition to this defense. The writer had nothing but go things to say about his leadership and well liked by teammates. 

2 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

I heard a podcast ( locked on bears) that had a interview with a beat writer for Dallas . Quinn had the best win rate for 1 on 1 blocking in the league last year. He is going to make a huge addition to this defense. The writer had nothing but go things to say about his leadership and well liked by teammates. 

100% this is a problem for our opponents.  Against our 5-man front their options are to try to take advantage of the OLBs who are not good in coverage and a get a pass out into space quickly.  IF, and it's a big IF at the moment, we can find the right safety to pair up with BoJack then that's less of an issue.  Plus we have Roquan and Trevathan right behind the Dline and both have the speed, play recognition, and coverage skills to get to the outside and cover up the gap. 

The safety we get doesn't have to be someone who is really good at coverage down field just someone who is good in the box area, who can recognize the play and can close quickly.   I don't see teams getting 3-4sec to throw a pass downfield, at least not consistently enough to be confident when they call that play.  QBs are going to be thinking about the pass rush as soon as they have to come off their first read.