Cutler Almost Benched

DABEARSDABOMB

We have an offensive minded head coach, the quarterback is the vocal point of the offense, you really SHOULD be catering to him IMO.

It of course has to be done within reason, and you have to be able add components to the defense but ya, I have zero problem with them catering to him.

I am not bringing in yet another coach to cater to this QB. A new QB fine, but at this point, we need to do what is best for the greater good of this franchise. If the next coach wants to keep Jay, obviously you build your current offensive scheme around his strength's while you try to build up the rest of the team and find a QB who you can groom to take over.

I am not bringing in yet another coach to cater to this QB. A new QB fine, but at this point, we need to do what is best for the greater good of this franchise. If the next coach wants to keep Jay, obviously you build your current offensive scheme around his strength's while you try to build up the rest of the team and find a QB who you can groom to take over.

That's pretty much exactly what I said.

I think what we need to stop doing as an organization is catering to him. If we keep him around long-term, okay, but we need to shift our resources to other areas and we need to build a very good team around him and really manage when we take our shots, etc.

I am trying to figure out exactly what they did to cater to him? Bringing in talent around him? Upgrading the Offensive Line? Giving him a big contract extension to solidify the position? If we kept Orton or re-signed McCown, and did the same free agent moves, would the Bears be catering to them? I get the perception, but I would think that is the normal way to build a team, start with the QB, then put in the pieces around him.

What resources need to be shifted? Look at our major free agents signings this offseason: Allen, Houston, Young, Mundy, and we drafted Fuller, Ferguson, Sutton, and Vereen. All defense. I believe we have only drafted offense in the first 3 rounds (of the Emery era) twice, Long and Jeffery. How can you shift anymore away from offense. Our key offensive signing was DLP.

The biggest problem is for some reason there has been no consistency on offense and the defense has been historically bad. Over the last two years, we have allowed, on average, 29 pts a game. Very few offenses in history could overcome that week in and week out. You couple that with some regression on offense and we are a 6-7 win team. What is crazy is we are essentially 1-2 plays away from being 7-4 (Buffalo and Carolina games).

I am trying to figure out exactly what they did to cater to him? Bringing in talent around him? Upgrading the Offensive Line? Giving him a big contract extension to solidify the position? If we kept Orton or re-signed McCown, and did the same free agent moves, would the Bears be catering to them? I get the perception, but I would think that is the normal way to build a team, start with the QB, then put in the pieces around him.

What resources need to be shifted? Look at our major free agents signings this offseason: Allen, Houston, Young, Mundy, and we drafted Fuller, Ferguson, Sutton, and Vereen. All defense. I believe we have only drafted offense in the first 3 rounds (of the Emery era) twice, Long and Jeffery. How can you shift anymore away from offense. Our key offensive signing was DLP.

The biggest problem is for some reason there has been no consistency on offense and the defense has been historically bad. Over the last two years, we have allowed, on average, 29 pts a game. Very few offenses in history could overcome that week in and week out. You couple that with some regression on offense and we are a 6-7 win team. What is crazy is we are essentially 1-2 plays away from being 7-4 (Buffalo and Carolina games).

How many offensive coordinators have we hired to cater to Jay? We seem to be afraid to tell Jay what his faults are. Maybe that is just me, but I think Jay is almost like RG III to the extent that we literally don't give him enough tough love (within the coaching ranks). I think we have coddled him. The fans haven't but I think the organization has. AT this point in his career, I am tired of excuses. I want results.

How many offensive coordinators have we hired to cater to Jay? We seem to be afraid to tell Jay what his faults are. Maybe that is just me, but I think Jay is almost like RG III to the extent that we literally don't give him enough tough love (within the coaching ranks). I think we have coddled him. The fans haven't but I think the organization has. AT this point in his career, I am tired of excuses. I want results.

So which OC would you have liked to see them keep?

I thought for all these years we were blaming Lovie for his inability to bringing in a good OC?

Where's Mike Martz now? Mike Tice still an OC? Ron Turner is currently 5-19 in 2 years at FIU.

2009- Turner- not sure if he was hired before the Jay trade or after, cant really say he was hired just for Jay

2010-2011Martz- was not hired for Jay- I bet he was the best they could find to come- lovie was on the hot seat already, they had them meet before hiring that's about it.

2012- Tice - not for jay- Lovie was on the hot seat, im sure the list of guys willing to take the job was short

They did hire Bates to be the QB coach... you could say they catered Jay there.

Then Trestman and Kromer were hired. With or with out I would take Kromer...... Trestman I get how this could be seen catering to jay.

As far as the coddling comment, none of us know if Jay is coddled. I think its standard practice to not throw your players underneath the bus in the media.

Behind closed doors we don't know what any of the previous coaches have said to Jay or how they treated him.

I think Jay knows that he has to play better. His numbers are good, its just the stupid INT's that need to get cut down.

I am trying to figure out exactly what they did to cater to him? Bringing in talent around him? Upgrading the Offensive Line? Giving him a big contract extension to solidify the position? If we kept Orton or re-signed McCown, and did the same free agent moves, would the Bears be catering to them? I get the perception, but I would think that is the normal way to build a team, start with the QB, then put in the pieces around him. What resources need to be shifted? Look at our major free agents signings this offseason: Allen, Houston, Young, Mundy, and we drafted Fuller, Ferguson, Sutton, and Vereen. All defense. I believe we have only drafted offense in the first 3 rounds (of the Emery era) twice, Long and Jeffery. How can you shift anymore away from offense. Our key offensive signing was DLP. The biggest problem is for some reason there has been no consistency on offense and the defense has been historically bad. Over the last two years, we have allowed, on average, 29 pts a game. Very few offenses in history could overcome that week in and week out. You couple that with some regression on offense and we are a 6-7 win team. What is crazy is we are essentially 1-2 plays away from being 7-4 (Buffalo and Carolina games).

And to think we need to pour more resources into our defense going into next year. I didn't expect us to be good this year or as bad as we are. I thought the offense would continue similar production while the Defense would slightly improve. This team is in a rebuild process and I see this taking two more drafts to fill the cupboards.

And to think we need to pour more resources into our defense going into next year. I didn't expect us to be good this year or as bad as we are. I thought the offense would continue similar production while the Defense would slightly improve. This team is in a rebuild process and I see this taking two more drafts to fill the cupboards.

The shittiest part about that:

In 2 years, Cutler may be gone......

Forte and BM will most likely be on the decline

Alshon should be in his prime

Bennett could be slowing down by then

Our Offense will be old, just like our Defense was last year.

As far as the coddling comment, none of us know if Jay is coddled. I think its standard practice to not throw your players underneath the bus in the media.

Behind closed doors we don't know what any of the previous coaches have said to Jay or how they treated him.

I think Jay knows that he has to play better. His numbers are good, its just the stupid INT's that need to get cut down.

And the poor choices in general. In last week's game and during one of the numerous "three and outs" while on offense, Cutler obviously audibled to a different call than what was intended. Wanna say the audible was a run play with Forte who was immediately stuffed. Immediately afterwards the camera panned to Trestman was shaking his head and mouthed the words (or as best as I can tell) what the heck are you doing Jay? He was visibly pissed by the play call.

Many times in past interviews the questions have been about the possibilities of whether the WR's were running the wrong routes. And many here thought once Trestman very nearly threw BM under the bus. But rather than upset him he fell short. I think then and still do that Cutler was the problem and Trestman didn't want to admit to it. Either because he convinced Emery to keep him (because he thought they could fix him) or because Emery wanted to keep him and Trestman was dealt the hand.

The shittiest part about that:

In 2 years, Cutler may be gone......

Forte and BM will most likely be on the decline

Alshon should be in his prime

Bennett could be slowing down by then

Our Offense will be old, just like our Defense was last year.

That's where hopefully the drafting of guys like Marquess Wilson and Ka'Deem Carey come in to play.

And the poor choices in general. In last week's game and during one of the numerous "three and outs" while on offense, Cutler obviously audibled to a different call than what was intended. Wanna say the audible was a run play with Forte who was immediately stuffed. Immediately afterwards the camera panned to Trestman was shaking his head and mouthed the words (or as best as I can tell) what the heck are you doing Jay? He was visibly pissed by the play call.

Many times in past interviews the questions have been about the possibilities of whether the WR's were running the wrong routes. And many here thought once Trestman very nearly threw BM under the bus. But rather than upset him he fell short. I think then and still do that Cutler was the problem and Trestman didn't want to admit to it. Either because he convinced Emery to keep him (because he thought they could fix him) or because Emery wanted to keep him and Trestman was dealt the hand.

An interesting fact is that in Trestman's career in the NFL as a play caller, year one his offenses were historically very good, year two they came crashing back (per Patrick Mannelly on the radio) and only one team kept him longer then 2 years. Why the media is bringing that up just now is kind of astonishing as you would have thought that would have made for great commentary during the long off-season after year 1. Again, the fact that we are crashing back on offense is a huge reason why I don't buy into Trestman long term and why I think it doesn't make sense to keep him around. Maybe we win out though. I certainly hope.