Cutler Almost Benched

DABEARSDABOMB

http://sportsmockery.com/2014/11/report-ja...nearly-benched/

Interesting. Again, if this is the case, it really makes you wonder who okayed the Cutler deal. Did Emery basically tell Trestman this is what we are going to do and you will like it? If any coach would accept that, it would probably be Trestman who is very passive as a whole.

Interesting. Again, if this is the case, it really makes you wonder who okayed the Cutler deal. Did Emery basically tell Trestman this is what we are going to do and you will like it? If any coach would accept that, it would probably be Trestman who is very passive as a whole.

This would lead me to believe that all the bullshit we heard about Cutler "buying in" was just that BULLSHIT.

If Cutler was going out there just doing whatever he wanted, Trestman should have benched him.....

With the signing of Cutlers deal, I have said that Emery and Trestman must think he is the right guy to give him that big of a contract. Maybe it was Emery calling the shots on this one.

I would hope Trestman would have some say in this matter, he is the guy working with Cutler everyday...

How credible is this? From what we have heard already, Jay was audibling out of runs into pass plays, which would be very similar to "throwing the way he wants to". So I don't know how big of a deal this is. I would expect him to be benched if he played bad vs Minnesota anyway.

I still think Cutler was and remains the best near-term option at QB. I still haven't yet seen any of the Cutler haters explain who was available on the FA market, or who we'd have drafted, that would have played better aside from Josh McCown.

Cutler sits at 7th in total yards to McCown's 32nd. Granted McCown was injured but that's one of the complaints about Cutler too.

Cutler is 11th in yds/game vs. 33rd.

26th in QB rating vs. 47th

and the all important interception rate: Cutler 12/373= 3.2% McCown 6/134 = 4.5%

We overpaid for Cutler at $18mil/yr. I wanted something more in line with the deals Carson Palmer and Andy Dalton received at ~$16mil/yr. That's the range for a top 15 starter in the league. He's the 7th highest paid QB right now based on avg salary over the contract. By next year he'll likely be 10th with Russell Wilson, Luck, and Foles possibly getting new deals this offseason.

I believe we must get a legitimate backup who can develop into our starter long term. If Cutler turns it around then trade the guy down the road. If Cutler doesn't then trade Cutler or cut him. Can Clausen be that guy? Perhaps and it's interesting to see that the coaches were, or are, close to making that swap. I have no issue with that message being sent to Cutler. I wish it had been sent to Lance Briggs too.

That is pretty damning.

Cutler is the loose cannon it appears.

This would lead me to believe that all the bullshit we heard about Cutler "buying in" was just that BULLSHIT.

If Cutler was going out there just doing whatever he wanted, Trestman should have benched him.....

With the signing of Cutlers deal, I have said that Emery and Trestman must think he is the right guy to give him that big of a contract. Maybe it was Emery calling the shots on this one.

I would hope Trestman would have some say in this matter, he is the guy working with Cutler everyday...

To me it again speaks to the lack of leadership at the top.

How credible is this? From what we have heard already, Jay was audibling out of runs into pass plays, which would be very similar to "throwing the way he wants to". So I don't know how big of a deal this is. I would expect him to be benched if he played bad vs Minnesota anyway.

That was a copout. He audibled out of like 3 plays over a 2 game span. Even if we ran those balls we still would have had an awful rush to pass ratio. I think Trestman was throwing Jay under the bus and Jay wasn't happy with it. Jay has also been more vocal lately about what he wants to do and likes which is something he hadn't done much at all during the Trestman era. However, if you look back to the Tice / Martz era, Jay was again very vocal.

I don't know if it is Jay or just Jay finally saying screw this I'm done with this crap coaching staff. Not saying either are good answers but if Jay has been going all cavalier for the entire season and most of last year, the message should have been sent a long time ago and again goes to our failures as an organization.

I will caveat that all of this is based on hearsay but Clayton is a very good NFL reporter.

I still think Cutler was and remains the best near-term option at QB. I still haven't yet seen any of the Cutler haters explain who was available on the FA market, or who we'd have drafted, that would have played better aside from Josh McCown.

Cutler sits at 7th in total yards to McCown's 32nd. Granted McCown was injured but that's one of the complaints about Cutler too.

Cutler is 11th in yds/game vs. 33rd.

26th in QB rating vs. 47th

and the all important interception rate: Cutler 12/373= 3.2% McCown 6/134 = 4.5%

We overpaid for Cutler at $18mil/yr. I wanted something more in line with the deals Carson Palmer and Andy Dalton received at ~$16mil/yr. That's the range for a top 15 starter in the league. He's the 7th highest paid QB right now based on avg salary over the contract. By next year he'll likely be 10th with Russell Wilson, Luck, and Foles possibly getting new deals this offseason.

I believe we must get a legitimate backup who can develop into our starter long term. If Cutler turns it around then trade the guy down the road. If Cutler doesn't then trade Cutler or cut him. Can Clausen be that guy? Perhaps and it's interesting to see that the coaches were, or are, close to making that swap. I have no issue with that message being sent to Cutler. I wish it had been sent to Lance Briggs too.

I think what we need to stop doing as an organization is catering to him. If we keep him around long-term, okay, but we need to shift our resources to other areas and we need to build a very good team around him and really manage when we take our shots, etc.

Agreed.

Draft a QB to groom. And draft hard on D and solve that train wreck. We can stomach Cutler one more season as we wait for the new kid to develop.

I think what we need to stop doing as an organization is catering to him. If we keep him around long-term, okay, but we need to shift our resources to other areas and we need to build a very good team around him and really manage when we take our shots, etc.

Agreed!

Agreed 100%

Peace :dabears

This is the most damning quality of Cutler. His arrogance is the selfishness Marshall eluded to in his tirade. If the leader of our team does not respect the coach, that is leadership into mutiny. Since Cutler has been that way with other coaches, I think Trestman gets a pass. It may simply be a flaw that nobody can fix, but Jay. My bet is they move Jay if progress is not seen in his attitude.

This is why the team needs someone to run the football operations.

Emery was hired and ownership told to keep Lovie. Trestman gets hired and gets told who his staff is, and apparently who to play.

People aren't trusted to just do the duties job without someone else butting in.

We have an offensive minded head coach, the quarterback is the vocal point of the offense, you really SHOULD be catering to him IMO.

It of course has to be done within reason, and you have to be able add components to the defense but ya, I have zero problem with them catering to him.

We have an offensive minded head coach, the quarterback is the vocal point of the offense, you really SHOULD be catering to him IMO.

It of course has to be done within reason, and you have to be able add components to the defense but ya, I have zero problem with them catering to him.

No, just no. Rodgers, Manning, Brady, Brees, and Luck you may cater to some what. Only Manning has been catered to out of those guys, and that was after it looked like his career was over.

You put your players in a position to win, but no, you cater to none of them.

No, just no. Rodgers, Manning, Brady, Brees, and Luck you may cater to some what. Only Manning has been catered to out of those guys, and that was after it looked like his career was over.

Perhaps it's a matter of scale. Catering to Cutler such that the offense is designed to take advantage of his strengths…makes sense. You don't cater to him at the expense of the future. Go back and see how Tom Brady felt when the Patriots let Wes Welker walk away. If that means bringing in another QB to seriously challenge Cutler as the starter, either through draft or FA, then so be it. At this point with Cutler's new contract that type of decision is likely to be done via the draft.

I'm not sure I understand the logic here. Those guys, for the most part, are pretty much elite on their own, so you don't really need to cater to those guy. However guys like Cutler who are not elite you should try and put every piece possible around them to make them as close to elite as possible.

I look at Tony Romo for an example. Last year the Cowboys had a defense that was even worse than ours and whatd they do with their 1st round pick this year? They drafted an offensive lineman to help protect him.

This offseason the only real argument you can make is the contract Cutler got may have restricted them from signing one of the top flight Safeties. But, with the way Emery and Trestman were talking about Chris Conte I have the feeling they were more than fine with him at FS. That of course hasn't looked wise but it happened. At the end of the day 1 FS wouldn't have made that big a difference with how bad the defense is.

Next year the cap goes up and they're gonna have plenty of money to fill in holes on the defense....And I really hope they "cater to Jay" by adding another tackle in FA or in the early rounds of the draft.

Maybe I'm just not sure what others mean when they say "Cater to Jay".

When you sign a troubling WR who is 'besties' with Jay, you might be Catering To Jay. When you draft a huge WR in the second round, you might be Catering to Jay. When your first round pick is an interior lineman from Oregon, you might be Catering to Jay. When you spend money on FA on a stalwart pro bowl Tackle to anchor the left of your line, you might be Catering to Jay. When you sign a relatively gifted TE who's performed well In some places he's been, you might be Catering to Jay. When you hire a mystery of a man from the North of Canada and he is known simply as the "Quartetback Whisperer" you might be Catering to Jay. And when you sign him to a $126 million dollar contract despite his meager performance, you definitely are Catering to Jay.

When you sign a troubling WR who is 'besties' with Jay, you might be Catering To Jay. When you draft a huge WR in the second round, you might be Catering to Jay. When your first round pick is an interior lineman from Oregon, you might be Catering to Jay. When you spend money on FA on a stalwart pro bowl Tackle to anchor the left of your line, you might be Catering to Jay. When you sign a relatively gifted TE who's performed well In some places he's been, you might be Catering to Jay. When you hire a mystery of a man from the North of Canada and he is known simply as the "Quartetback Whisperer" you might be Catering to Jay. And when you sign him to a $126 million dollar contract despite his meager performance, you definitely are Catering to Jay.

When your leading WRs before Marshall/Jeffery are Roy Willams and Johnny Knox, you might wanna upgrade.

When your offensive lineman give up 44 sacks, you might wanna upgrade.

When your tight ends were Kellen Davis and Matt Spaeth, you might wanna upgrade.

When you fire your head coach, you might want another one.

I mean what did you want them to do with those positions? Sign mediocre players? When a lot of those moves were made who would have thunk that the defense would have been historically bad? I'm fairly certain everyone on this board wanted to upgrade those positions and were happy to see those guys brought in.

And in all actuality the Cutler deal is really just 3/54 which is about the norm these days.

You answered your own question.

I think you misread my statement. I was never in the McCown is better than Jay crowd although I admit at times he ran Trestman's offense better than Jay. At times. Other times he didn't.

McCown was the only avalable QB that I can think other's here wanted to have instead of Cutler. I don't recall any specific names being tossed about for 1st or 2nd Rd draft picks either. If you want a starter they will almost always be drafted in those two rounds.

I find these comparisons interesting. Cutler has comparable or better stats than every QB on this list. Look at some of those other TD:INT ratios and Comp%. Under 60% is horrible, and some of those guys barely have a 1:1 TD:INT ratio. Detroit, Baltimore, Cleveland, and Cincinnati are not winning because of their QBs. Just think how much worse those numbers would be if those QB's had to play from behind?

NO 4-6, Brees 95.9, 69.5%, 307 Y/G, 7.4 Y/A, 19 TD, 10 INT

MIA 6-5, Tannehill 93.4, 66.1%, 235 Y/G, 6.6 Y/A, 20 TD, 8 INT

CHI 5-6, Cutler 93.0, 66.8%, 257 Y/G, 7.1 Y/A, 22 TD, 12 INT

ATL 4-7, Ryan 92.6, 65.1%, 279 Y/G, 7.2 Y/A, 19 TD, 9 INT

BAL 6-4, Flacco 90.7, 62.4%, 252 Y/G, 7.2 Y/A, 17 TD, 8 INT

NYG 3-8, Manning 88.0, 62.3%, 258 Y/G, 7.0 Y/A, 21 TD, 12 INT

CIN 7-3-1, Dalton 83.4, 62.4%, 219 Y/G, 7.1 Y/A, 12 TD, 10 INT

CLE 7-4, Hoyer 82.3, 55.9%, 260 Y/G, 7.8 Y/A, 13 TD, 10 INT

DET 7-4, Stafford 81.0, 58.8%, 268 Y/G, 7.1 Y/A, 13 TD, 10 INT

CAR 3-7-1, Newton 76.7, 58.6%, 239 Y/G, 7.2 Y/A, 12 TD, 10 INT

Cutler is to blame for his play on the field, but the plays we are calling don't seem to be using the strengths of our skill players. Jeffery or Marshall on the outside 1 on 1 is a matchup advantage for us. Same for Bennett. Without help, these should be easy pitch and catches. I watch other games, and teams do it all the time. The Safeties can't double everyone. Throw them the damn ball. Jeffery had 4 targets. The O-Line seems to be dictating what we do, and right now that is dink and dunk.