with John Fox as HC - Mock Draft 1.0

ParkerBear7

Now that John Fox is HC - here is my Fanspeak Mock Draft 1.0.

I traded back from 7th to the 15th in the 1st Round picking up a 2nd,3rd,4th. Also, traded back in the third round acquiring a 5th round and 7th round picks. Traded up in the in 6th round for QB Hogan.

RD 1 - CB TRAE WAYNES

RD 2 - S CODY PREWITT - OLE MISS

RD 3 - G TRE' JACKSON - FLORIDA STATE

RD 3 - RB TODD GURLEY - GEORGIA

RD 4 - S ANTHONY HARRIS - VIRGINIA

RD 4 - DE OWAMAGBE ODIGHIZUWA - UCLA

RD 5 - CB JOSH SHAW - USC

RD 6 - QB KEVIN HOGAN - STANFORD

RD 7 - OLB JAKE RYAN - MICHIGAN

RD 7 - ILB A.J. JOHNSON - TENNESSEE

Now that John Fox is HC - here is my Fanspeak Mock Draft 1.0.

I traded back from 7th to the 15th in the 1st Round picking up a 2nd,3rd,4th. Also, traded back in the third round acquiring a 5th round and 7th round picks. Traded up in the in 6th round for QB Hogan.

RD 1 - CB TRAE WAYNES

RD 2 - S CODY PREWITT - OLE MISS

RD 3 - G TRE' JACKSON - FLORIDA STATE

RD 3 - RB TODD GURLEY - GEORGIA

RD 4 - S ANTHONY HARRIS - VIRGINIA

RD 4 - DE OWAMAGBE ODIGHIZUWA - UCLA

RD 5 - CB JOSH SHAW - USC

RD 6 - QB KEVIN HOGAN - STANFORD

RD 7 - OLB JAKE RYAN - MICHIGAN

RD 7 - ILB A.J. JOHNSON - TENNESSEE

I dont think there is anyway Johnson lasts until the 7th.

If he goes by BPA I doubt if a CB is our first choice.

In this years draft DE and WRs are the strongest positions.

I think our first pick will be a pass rusher, it will have the most impact on the defense in year one.

Here is my take as to the draft.

RD 1- Fowler/DE Flo (there will be several choices here at the DE position to choose)

RD2- Perryman/MLB Miami we need a leader on defense to stabilize our future

RD3- Jalen Collins/CB LSU a big CB who will measure up in man to man coverage

RD4 Tartt/SS Samford another body added to a weakness

RD5 Shead/OG Okla need more depth at OG

RD7 Smith/OC Lou added depth to OL

I would be surprised if the Bears didn't take a DE or LB in the 1st. Fox's first two drafts in his first year with the Panthers and Broncos were Julius Peppers and Von Miller... Pretty good. Fox is known for having a big D-Line and physical man to man corners. He has ran a 2 gap 4-3 scheme like a Greg Blatche. In Denver he went with multiple front looks to take advantage of Von Miller's unique skill set.

In Denver he went with multiple front looks to take advantage of Von Miller's unique skill set.

Something I've been hearing over and over Is that Fox is innovative. In that I mean he "adapts" his schemes to what best fits the players, not the other way around. I think with Pace talking BPA being his preferred way of drafting, that could be a great fit. I doubt of course they'll ignore the 'need(s)' but if they can get what they think is a star player and make it work, it will.

Something I've been hearing over and over Is that Fox is innovative. In that I mean he "adapts" his schemes to what best fits the players, not the other way around. I think with Pace talking BPA being his preferred way of drafting, that could be a great fit. I doubt of course they'll ignore the 'need(s)' but if they can get what they think is a star player and make it work, it will.

Right, he mentioned how one year they draft DT because of need and it never panned out. He said he learned a lesson. Fowler may be BPA, or an OT.

1-Scherff OT

2-Perryman ILB

3-A.Harris S

4-Coleman RB

6-Big DT

7-C

Forgot about fanspeak, I wanna join the fun.

I always like to preface my mocks with FA pickups so when I don't address a hole no one can say "We need a FS!"

In FA I'm gonna bring over 2 former Broncos in Chris Harris Jr and Rahim Moore. McCourty has been at the top of my list buttt he'll be expensive, and I'm not sure he leaves New England. While we would certainly have the money, going with Moore would offer more flexibility.

With a new corner and FS, and with the thought that we move to a 3-4 (based on most of the DC candidates talked about) here goes my first of many fanspeak mocks.

1R-Brandon Scherff OT Iowa- Gonna be a lot of people that dislike this move, esp. with Ray/Fowler/Collins on board, but I'm of the opinion that Young-Jones-Bostic-SMC/Washington/Bass would be a solid LB group. We have so many weapons on offense but if you can't protect the QB those weapons aren't going to be as lethal and we'd see a lot of what we saw last year.....Scherff is nasty in the run and pass game. with he and Slaus coming back that OL should look pretty damn good.

2R- Malcom Brown DT Texas- Fanspeak has him ranked a lot lower than what he's really gonna be ranked. 6'3" 320 who's strength is his strength but is also deceptively quick. Can lineup anywhere on the front 3 but with his size/strength/quickness combo I like him at DE. Front 3 becomes Houston-Ego/Ratliff-Brown/Sutton.

3R- Anthony Harris SS UVA- Perhaps the best combo of Run/Pass defense among the safeties this year. I don't think Mundy is dreadful, but I don't think he should be handed the job either. Harris comes in and competes with him.

4R- Reese Dismukes OC Auburn- Add the Outland Trophy winner in the first round, and now we add the Rimington Trophy winner in the 4th. If we plan on running the ball more Garza has to go.

6R- Garrett Grayson QB Colorado St- No chance he falls this far but I'll take what they give me.

7R- James Castleman DT OK St- I love this dude after watchin him in his bowl game. Big enough to play NT, agile enough to play DE, and maybe just maybe, we can see him as a FB as well in special packages.

3R-

You have some decent guaranteed coin invested in 3 traditional DE(Allen,Houston and Young) You have four potential 4-3 DT's counting Paea if resigned and you think that they will switch to a 3-4 right away? That would be a fantasy. This team would need to make at least two drafts and add some key FA pickups to pull that off and with so much money tied up in the offense, I don't think that is going to happen right away.

BTW one of the names also mentioned is Mike Smith as DC who as Jax DC ran a 4-3 similar to Jauron and Blache.

You have some decent guaranteed coin invested in 3 traditional DE(Allen,Houston and Young) e four potential 4-3 DT's counting Paea if resigned and you think that they will switch to a 3-4 right away? That would be a fantasy. This team would need to make at least two drafts and add some key FA pickups to pull that off and with so much money tied up in the offense, I don't think that is going to happen right away.

BTW one of the names also mentioned is Mike Smith as DC who as Jax DC ran a 4-3 similar to Jauron and Blache.

Allen is the only guy that I don't think fits but he can be cut without detriment to the cap (dead money doesnt count against the cap).

Houston would actually be an ideal 3-4 DE. Young has what it takes to make the conversion to OLB like so many other "Traditional DEs" have done before.

Paea doesnt have to be resigned, Ratliff already has already made it to a pro bowl as a 3-4 player, Ego is stout enough to play either NT or DE, and Sutton can possibly hang on at DE as well.

I think the transition is certainly possible if that's the direction they wanna go. Either scheme is probably gonna need a year (2 drafts/offseasons) to build anyway.

Forgot about fanspeak, I wanna join the fun.

I always like to preface my mocks with FA pickups so when I don't address a hole no one can say "We need a FS!"

In FA I'm gonna bring over 2 former Broncos in Chris Harris Jr and Rahim Moore. McCourty has been at the top of my list buttt he'll be expensive, and I'm not sure he leaves New England. While we would certainly have the money, going with Moore would offer more flexibility.

With a new corner and FS, and with the thought that we move to a 3-4 (based on most of the DC candidates talked about) here goes my first of many fanspeak mocks.

1R-Brandon Scherff OT Iowa- Gonna be a lot of people that dislike this move, esp. with Ray/Fowler/Collins on board, but I'm of the opinion that Young-Jones-Bostic-SMC/Washington/Bass would be a solid LB group. We have so many weapons on offense but if you can't protect the QB those weapons aren't going to be as lethal and we'd see a lot of what we saw last year.....Scherff is nasty in the run and pass game. with he and Slaus coming back that OL should look pretty damn good.

2R- Malcom Brown DT Texas- Fanspeak has him ranked a lot lower than what he's really gonna be ranked. 6'3" 320 who's strength is his strength but is also deceptively quick. Can lineup anywhere on the front 3 but with his size/strength/quickness combo I like him at DE. Front 3 becomes Houston-Ego/Ratliff-Brown/Sutton.

3R- Anthony Harris SS UVA- Perhaps the best combo of Run/Pass defense among the safeties this year. I don't think Mundy is dreadful, but I don't think he should be handed the job either. Harris comes in and competes with him.

4R- Reese Dismukes OC Auburn- Add the Outland Trophy winner in the first round, and now we add the Rimington Trophy winner in the 4th. If we plan on running the ball more Garza has to go.

6R- Garrett Grayson QB Colorado St- No chance he falls this far but I'll take what they give me.

7R- James Castleman DT OK St- I love this dude after watchin him in his bowl game. Big enough to play NT, agile enough to play DE, and maybe just maybe, we can see him as a FB as well in special packages.

Seems we fall into the same category for draft picks. Brown DT looks like a Fox DT with his size. I'm starting to think Sutton won't fit unless he can play end in a 3-4. I can see the Bears running a similiar 4-3 D they ran in Denver.

3R-

Allen is the only guy that I don't think fits but he can be cut without detriment to the cap (dead money doesnt count against the cap).

Houston would actually be an ideal 3-4 DE. Young has what it takes to make the conversion to OLB like so many other "Traditional DEs" have done before.

Paea doesnt have to be resigned, Ratliff already has already made it to a pro bowl as a 3-4 player, Ego is stout enough to play either NT or DE, and Sutton can possibly hang on at DE as well.

I think the transition is certainly possible if that's the direction they wanna go. Either scheme is probably gonna need a year (2 drafts/offseasons) to build anyway.

Allen has a $12.5 cap hit (dead money) if he is cut in 2015, but in 2016 he can be cut with zero dead money, so he will be a Bear in 2015 (unless traded).

Unless there are two Chris Harris on the Broncos, one just signed a long extension last month and is not a FA.

Man I'm really off my game. I attribute it to working from a tablet and not my typical desktop. Can't really do as much digging as I typically do.

I think Ego and Ratliff can play the NT position, but we are staving for 5T ends. Houston, I think could but not sure Sutton has a spot. Allen definitely not. If they switch, and I doubt that, we need two more 5T ends that you didnt address.

If this team is going to get back to traditional Bears defense why would they switch to a different front? In todays NFL most teams play hybrids of whatever their base defense is anyway. Do we have the lock down corners to make a switch to a heavy blitzing scheme? No! This team can still play the same scheme with a solid addition at LB and a top CB prospect as well as control the ball more on offense.

The top defense in our division Detroit plays a 4-3. In most 3-4 fronts throughout the years since teams started using that front more than 40 years ago would rush 4 players on every down. The most famous one from the 80's that featured Lawrence Taylor coached by Belichick rushed Taylor on most downs and had Carson, Banks and Reasons play traditional LB roles. The secondary wasn't as acclaimed as the front seven but with 2 HOF players in the front seven any one could play behind that group. Right now this team doesn't have the type of players to implement the scheme and I don't want to endure more losing for them to be able to change a scheme. 3 of the four teams in this division play 4-3.The one team that doesn't is the packers and theirs only works because they have the QB to over come whatever lapses they have.

I think Ego and Ratliff can play the NT position, but we are staving for 5T ends. Houston, I think could but not sure Sutton has a spot. Allen definitely not. If they switch, and I doubt that, we need two more 5T ends that you didnt address.

Houston, at least size wise is perfect, hopefully he can get back to the level of play that got him a good chunk a change. Ratliff, Ego, and Brown (in my mock) are all versatile enough to play both the nose and the 5. Ego, in some scouting reports last year was actually talked more aboutnas a 5 vs a NT

If this team is going to get back to traditional Bears defense why would they switch to a different front? In todays NFL most teams play hybrids of whatever their base defense is anyway. Do we have the lock down corners to make a switch to a heavy blitzing scheme? No! This team can still play the same scheme with a solid addition at LB and a top CB prospect as well as control the ball more on offense.

The top defense in our division Detroit plays a 4-3. In most 3-4 fronts throughout the years since teams started using that front more than 40 years ago would rush 4 players on every down. The most famous one from the 80's that featured Lawrence Taylor coached by Belichick rushed Taylor on most downs and had Carson, Banks and Reasons play traditional LB roles. The secondary wasn't as acclaimed as the front seven but with 2 HOF players in the front seven any one could play behind that group. Right now this team doesn't have the type of players to implement the scheme and I don't want to endure more losing for them to be able to change a scheme. 3 of the four teams in this division play 4-3.The one team that doesn't is the packers and theirs only works because they have the QB to over come whatever lapses they have.

I'm certain not saying they can't run a 4-3, I'm simply basing this off the fact that there's been 4 DCs rumored about the Bears DC job that ran a 3-4, so that thought has to be going through the organizations mind.