Bears GM Ryan Pace: “We’re moving forward with Jay Cutler”

madlithuanian

Again I say....

Jeff Dickerson ‏@ESPNChiBears 16m16 minutes ago

Pace continues to insist the #Bears never explored trading Jay Cutler.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 16m16 minutes ago

On Jay Cutler: I spoke with as many QB-needy teams as I could to see if #Bears GM Ryan Pace tried to trade Cutler. None said he did.

Ian Rapoport@RapSheet · 40m 40 minutes ago

On Jay Cutler: I spoke with as many QB-needy teams as I could to see if #Bears GM Ryan Pace tried to trade Cutler. None said he did.

If he was being shopped, someone would've said something.

Again I say....

Jeff Dickerson ‏@ESPNChiBears 16m16 minutes ago

Pace continues to insist the #Bears never explored trading Jay Cutler.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 16m16 minutes ago

And his endorsement was not a rousing one. No matter how you read it. We all know why they have to go forward with him. Now the trick will be to make it work.

This really comes down to, Pace & Fox don't want to go with a total unknown at QB, which would have been crap in yr 1. There was no legitimate upgrade for Jay who could step in next year on a team which contends. I don't think they are banking their future on Jay, they just know that if they went another direction, we are talking about a 2 win football team. If we were sitting with the top pick in the draft, I'm guessing the answer would have been different and Jay would be somewhere else.

I don't think this means we won't be considering drafting a QB though. Everything was about Jay being our QB for 2015.

IMO this is about nothing more than sending a clear signal, rallying the troops, etc. It had to be said even if it was obvious that they didn't have much in the way of options. Since rumors were out there they took a leadership position on it and killed the rumors. It isn't unlike Lovie's "Rex is our Quarterback" statement but somehow it seems different.

At the end of the day, the contract, the holes elsewhere and the lack of other viable options in the draft/FA make this a no brainer. And Jay's prior experience with Gase should pay dividends.

All I know is Jay has ZERO left in terms of excuses. I was his biggest backer for a while and it's clear to me that he's let everyone down and played a role in getting two head coaches fired. This coaching regime will be standing after jay Cutler is an afterthought on this team so he either gets his shit together ASAP or we'll be moving on without him.

If you still need a starting calibe QB after tomorrw that you only have to pay 26 mil too, do you do it. Pace has to say that if he wants to get a real deal and value for Cutler. If the rumuored Gase offense is to run the ball and do play action to minimize the turnovers and take some decision making out of Cutler's hands ala Mike Martz( a Gase supporter), then you can do the same thing with a rookie or a journeyman still out there.

If you still need a starting calibe QB after tomorrw that you only have to pay 26 mil too, do you do it. Pace has to say that if he wants to get a real deal and value for Cutler. If the rumuored Gase offense is to run the ball and do play action to minimize the turnovers and take some decision making out of Cutler's hands ala Mike Martz( a Gase supporter), then you can do the same thing with a rookie or a journeyman still out there.

I'd say make a run for Drew Brees at this point but alas, not to be. *sigh*

IMO this is about nothing more than sending a clear signal, rallying the troops, etc. It had to be said even if it was obvious that they didn't have much in the way of options. Since rumors were out there they took a leadership position on it and killed the rumors. It isn't unlike Lovie's "Rex is our Quarterback" statement but somehow it seems different.

At the end of the day, the contract, the holes elsewhere and the lack of other viable options in the draft/FA make this a no brainer. And Jay's prior experience with Gase should pay dividends.

All I know is Jay has ZERO left in terms of excuses. I was his biggest backer for a while and it's clear to me that he's let everyone down and played a role in getting two head coaches fired. This coaching regime will be standing after jay Cutler is an afterthought on this team so he either gets his shit together ASAP or we'll be moving on without him.

I would also add that if you are a free agent considering the Bears would you want to join a team in a complete rebuild year? The players know Cutler is far from elite but also know he is also far from garbage. I doubt some free agents would want to come and play if the Bears just dumped Cutler without a viable replacement.