Crazy Draft

jason

Can you imagine a scenario where DL goes hot and heavy before the Bears pick?

1. TB – Jameis Winston, QB, FSU

2. TEN – Leonard Williams, DT/DE, USC

3. JAX – Dante Fowler, DE, FLA

4. OAK – Randy Gregory, DE/OLB, NEB

5. WAS – Danny Shelton, NT, WAS

6. NYJ – Marcus Mariotta, QB, ORE

What then?

My thought here is, do the Bears take the 4th best pass rusher with the #7 pick in the draft? I don't like that idea.

Assuming no trade down possibilities, I'm thinking they have to go Bama with either Collins or Cooper.

Guest TerraTor

Doesn't change my pick. Beasley or Collins still

I'd stay far away from Fowler.. looks weak to me... gets by on pure athleticism... plus Florida D guys almost always suck...

Gregory is too small in my opinion

I don't dislike any of the WR in the draft, but not for us. We just gave away a Top 5 WR, AND have another one well have to pay soon. Makes no sense, plus with our QB it won't matter

A pick at 7 shouldn't have questions...

Doesn't change my pick. Beasley or Collins still

A pick at 7 shouldn't have questions...

I would argue that Collins at 7 comes with questions. Questions such as "Are we sure he's that good?" and "We didn't really take him at 7, did we?" He seems like the best of a bad class of safeties.

My sense, and I could certainly be wrong, is that he's behind the grades that guys like Clinton-Dix and Pryor had coming out. Would you trade the #7 pick for one of those guys? If your answer is yes, why not just sign Tashaun Gipson, who has a second-round tender?

I would argue that Collins at 7 comes with questions. Questions such as "Are we sure he's that good?" and "We didn't really take him at 7, did we?" He seems like the best of a bad class of safeties.

My sense, and I could certainly be wrong, is that he's behind the grades that guys like Clinton-Dix and Pryor had coming out. Would you trade the #7 pick for one of those guys? If your answer is yes, why not just sign Tashaun Gipson, who has a second-round tender?

You are not wrong. If Collins goes to us at 7, I would be shocked.

Guest TerraTor

I think the same of Jameus Winston... as an FSU fan, I feel he has a noodle arm and makes awful decisions..

Your absolutely right about that, if he came out last he may have been the 4th or 5th rated safety, there was 4 in the first round. at 18-21-27-30, So at best he wont got until the late teens, which at 7 would be concieve to not be a good valve.

Can you imagine a scenario where DL goes hot and heavy before the Bears pick?

1. TB – Jameis Winston, QB, FSU

2. TEN – Leonard Williams, DT/DE, USC

3. JAX – Dante Fowler, DE, FLA

4. OAK – Randy Gregory, DE/OLB, NEB

5. WAS – Danny Shelton, NT, WAS

6. NYJ – Marcus Mariotta, QB, ORE

What then?

My thought here is, do the Bears take the 4th best pass rusher with the #7 pick in the draft? I don't like that idea.

Assuming no trade down possibilities, I'm thinking they have to go Bama with either Collins or Cooper.

If it fell that way probably the highest rated player would be Cooper. Maybe White if someone likes him better.

I'd prefer Waynes, Peat, or if they do go WR, I like White over Cooper.

Beasley, Waynes, Peat, Flowers OT, Scherff, White, and Cooper would be the big names on the big board. Hard to decide but it would have to be Beasley. Only because I think they have to go defense and pass rush trumps.

This scenario is very realistic and if it fell that way I like Beasley or White. I'm not enamored with any of our edge rushers on the roster and Beasley helps that immediately. White fills the void from the Marshall trade. My third choice is to reach a bit and grab Waynes because two good press corners will help the defensive front 7 and, perhaps more importantly, help our safeties quite a bit. (yes i include Fuller in that assessment).

Cooper is a very good receiver who will help our offense but I don't think he'll be an elite WR. He is not exceptional going up on contested catches. OTOH White could be dominant, he can make the tough catch in traffic and i much prefer throwing to him in the red zone than Cooper, and I don't see his floor being much lower than Cooper's. I'll take the upside.

Please don't take Collins at #7. I think with the Bears signing Rolle it makes this far less likely as there is no great need to give up a shot at a blue chip player just to fill a roster hole.

I'll disagree with Terra on Gregory being too small and if he's there for us I like him as an OLB. He has the frame to get to 250lbs or more without losing a step and his movement in open space is exceptional as is his ability to get off blocks. He is not as fast off the snap as Beasley and Ray are but he may be the better player in space even if he didn't line up there in college. While he's not as quick off the snap he's better when the play comes right at him and I think he'll match up better with TEs in pass coverage than Beasley or Ray but that remains to be seen as it isn't on film.

I don't like Fowler much either and I'm hopeful he'll be off the board before we pick (so somebody I like is still there). At least what I've seen in Fowler is a guy who just makes the easy plays but can't get through other players to create the exceptional play. Not enough bite in that dog for a top 10 pick IMO.

Interesting replies. If this shows anything, it's that the team is an enigma right now. We barely agree at all.

Personally, I think the 4th best pass rusher is a scary proposition. Beasley may end up a stud, but I don't like the value when the #1 WR, #1 OT, and #1 S are on the board.

If it played that way, which of those three would help the team the most?

Cooper - He'd be a great rookie, but wouldn't he essentially be the #3 guy at best?

Scherff - I think he'd be a great addition and would solidify our OL for years to come. Putting him next to Long on the RHS would guarantee running lanes.

Collins - Probable day 1 starter at SS alongside Rolle. That combo would solidify S problems.

I'm thinking Scherff or Collins now.

Interesting replies. If this shows anything, it's that the team is an enigma right now. We barely agree at all.

Personally, I think the 4th best pass rusher is a scary proposition. Beasley may end up a stud, but I don't like the value when the #1 WR, #1 OT, and #1 S are on the board.

Cooper - He'd be a great rookie, but wouldn't he essentially be the #3 guy at best?

Scherff - I think he'd be a great addition and would solidify our OL for years to come. Putting him next to Long on the RHS would guarantee running lanes.

Collins - Probable day 1 starter at SS alongside Rolle. That combo would solidify S problems.

Of those two, i'd go scherff... games are won in the trenches... but if shelton is there, which honestly i think he will be, you gotta get the foundation of the new 3-4 defense.... i can't believe i'm saying this, but thank god he had a bad 40 time...

Why leave out the #1 CB?

I'm not sure Collins/Rolle is a good combo to be honest. I keep reading that Rolle is more of a SS these days and Collins is a SS himself.

Why leave out the #1 CB?

I'm not sure Collins/Rolle is a good combo to be honest. I keep reading that Rolle is more of a SS these days and Collins is a SS himself.

Simple oversight, which is probably the result of Waynes almost never showing up in the top ten of mock drafts.

Simple oversight, which is probably the result of Waynes almost never showing up in the top ten of mock drafts.

He's typically drafted before Collins though, so I think you have to include him.

Looking at the 7 mocks between CBS and NFL.com here is where those 3 stack up.

Waynes- 7, 11, 11, 11, 13, 14, 14

Collins- 9, 11, 11, 20, 22, 20, 29

Schreff- 5, 9, 9, 13, 15, 15, 18

He's typically drafted before Collins though, so I think you have to include him.

Looking at the 7 mocks between CBS and NFL.com here is where those 3 stack up.

Waynes- 7, 11, 11, 11, 13, 14, 14

Collins- 9, 11, 11, 20, 22, 20, 29

Schreff- 5, 9, 9, 13, 15, 15, 18

Collins going at 29 is straight retarded. If he lasts that long, I hope the Bears trade up and select him. Of course, that's fantasy land because the Ravens select a few slots before that, and they'll pick him in a heartbeat because they have a history of being a good drafting team and selecting guys I like.

Why leave out the #1 CB?

I dont think we should base draftees on the 1st or the 4th best player, its about who are the best players. If a S is ranked 20th best player drafting at #7 is a bad valve. There is supposedly 10 plum players in the draft, we need one of them. Forget the draft need crap, we need everything.