Fox met with media today

DABEARSDABOMB

@patrickfinley: Interesting that John Fox today said Alshon Jeffery was overweight at times last year.

@ianrappaport Jay Cutler met with #Bears personnel without his agent as deadline approached for guaranteed money in 2016. Team left convinced he’s the guy and are now considered fanboys

@adamjahns

#Bears coach John Fox said Shea McClellin will get first look at inside linebacker in 3-4. He said he was high on him coming out in draft.

Interesting blurb regarding Cutler and Jeffrey. Fox is calling out Jeffrey and I think that is fair given how Alshon disappeared at times last year, this is a good thing. It will be curious how Cutler handles himself with the new coordinator and having a more vocal and forceful guy in Fox. Personally I think having Marshall out of here is a good thing as I think Jay probably found himself in quite a few difficult situations where he didn't want to call out B due to their friendship but B ultimately needed to be called out, etc, probably pretty often.

Interesting blurb regarding Cutler and Jeffrey. Fox is calling out Jeffrey and I think that is fair given how Alshon disappeared at times last year, this is a good thing. It will be curious how Cutler handles himself with the new coordinator and having a more vocal and forceful guy in Fox. Personally I think having Marshall out of here is a good thing as I think Jay probably found himself in quite a few difficult situations where he didn't want to call out B due to their friendship but B ultimately needed to be called out, etc, probably pretty often.

Jeffrey and his weight were an issue when he was at South Carolina and the problem could be resurfacing but wasn't Jeffrey battling some injuries all year? Besides how would a new head coach know what a player on his new team's optimum weight should be? This clearly sounds like motivation since Jeffrey is in a contract year.

@patrickfinley: Interesting that John Fox today said Alshon Jeffery was overweight at times last year.

@ianrappaport Jay Cutler met with #Bears personnel without his agent as deadline approached for guaranteed money in 2016. Team left convinced he’s the guy and are now considered fanboys

@adamjahns

#Bears coach John Fox said Shea McClellin will get first look at inside linebacker in 3-4. He said he was high on him coming out in draft.

Has anyone gone into more detail about meeting with Jay without his agent???

Has anyone gone into more detail about meeting with Jay without his agent???

Agreed because this sounds like rumormill stuff.Also it could have been for a briefing on the offensive system they are going to run and his comfort level with that so why would you need an agent?

Agreed because this sounds like rumormill stuff.Also it could have been for a briefing on the offensive system they are going to run and his comfort level with that so why would you need an agent?

From Fansided:

"The Bears were able to restructure Cutler’s contract on Tuesday so that the Bears got back $5 million in cap savings, according to Spotrac.

And so Cutler appears to be the answer at the position for at least the next two seasons, despite trade rumors and apparent questions from the Bears new brass on whether Cutler is the guy to lead the franchise going forward.

"

From Fansided:

"The Bears were able to restructure Cutler’s contract on Tuesday so that the Bears got back $5 million in cap savings, according to Spotrac.

And so Cutler appears to be the answer at the position for at least the next two seasons, despite trade rumors and apparent questions from the Bears new brass on whether Cutler is the guy to lead the franchise going forward."

Whoa. This is a headline if that's recent info!

From Fansided:

"The Bears were able to restructure Cutler's contract on Tuesday so that the Bears got back $5 million in cap savings, according to Spotrac.

And so Cutler appears to be the answer at the position for at least the next two seasons, despite trade rumors and apparent questions from the Bears new brass on whether Cutler is the guy to lead the franchise going forward.

"

Chile that seems odd that he would restructure his contract without his agent present.

Chile that seems odd that he would restructure his contract without his agent present.

He met with the Bears today without his agent. The story actually says he restructured on Tuesday. I'm not familiar with what it looked like before but Spotrac now shows a "Restructure Bonus" column that probably wasn't there before.

See: http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/chicago-bears/jay-cutler/

He met with the Bears today without his agent. The story actually says he restructured on Tuesday. I'm not familiar with what it looked like before but Spotrac now shows a "Restructure Bonus" column that probably wasn't there before.

See: http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/chicago-bears/jay-cutler/

So no Adam Schefter no Mort no John Clayton confirming any of this. No team tweets nothing but these links that have no confirmation from management.

If you recall, Emery (Cliff Stein?) included clauses in Cutler's contract whereby the Bears had the option to free up cap money by guaranteeing more the next year.

Sounds like they did that.

No need for Cutlers agent, because it's not a negotiation, just an option the Bears have.

If you recall, Emery (Cliff Stein?) included clauses in Cutler's contract whereby the Bears had the option to free up cap money by guaranteeing more the next year.

Sounds like they did that.

No need for Cutlers agent, because it's not a negotiation, just an option the Bears have.

Think they did that last year, not this year, at least I'm fairly certain.

Bears still have around 7M I believe, and with so little out there in terms of free agents it wouldn't make much sense for them to try and create even more cap space this year.

This is when the offseason gets ridiculous. Just bring on the next signing or draft pick. I mean really a guy goes from dangling so far in the offseason to being guaranteed his salary this year plus 10 mil next year to giving some money back. That just doesn't make sense and if the Bears had utilized some option in his contract that would not have escaped the media here locally.

This is when the offseason gets ridiculous. Just bring on the next signing or draft pick. I mean really a guy goes from dangling so far in the offseason to being guaranteed his salary this year plus 10 mil next year to giving some money back. That just doesn't make sense and if the Bears had utilized some option in his contract that would not have escaped the media here locally.

Agreed. Not to mention us pushing money back makes it even harder to cut him next year. It sucks that Jared Allen is owed 12.5 million. He gone if not for that. He seemed like a great fit at the time, but he appears to be a bad fit for this defense.

The Bears have never given full support to Cutler and they've implied that there will be competition for his position. There is no way in hell they do anything that makes it more difficult to cut him next year. If anything, they'd probably rather move 5 million up to this year, swallow the pill, to make it more manageable if they want to cut him later.

Agreed. Not to mention us pushing money back makes it even harder to cut him next year. It sucks that Jared Allen is owed 12.5 million. He gone if not for that. He seemed like a great fit at the time, but he appears to be a bad fit for this defense.

The Bears have never given full support to Cutler and they've implied that there will be competition for his position. There is no way in hell they do anything that makes it more difficult to cut him next year. If anything, they'd probably rather move 5 million up to this year, swallow the pill, to make it more manageable if they want to cut him later.

I think with the new coaches, he cuts down on his turnovers, his biggest flaw. He will have some good games, some bad games and be ranked 15th in the league. We will look at him as a decent QB getting paid to much. He will only be gone when we find his replacement. One more year or maybe two.