Best draft in a long time

jason

Impossible to know the results, but on face value this is the best draft in quite some time.

Fill needs? Check (for the most part...only six picks)

Draft BPA related to needs? Check

No big reaches? Check

No stupid small school picks? Check

No injury history guys? Check

I don't know how any Bear fan can be truly disappointed with this draft. Even if someone would have preferred different players, it turned out very well. Even Langford, the lone head scratcher, possesses home-run spped at tailback, something the Bears haven't had for quite some time. Between him and White, this team may have an explosive aspect to it in the near future.

Bravo Pace!

Seems like the local media don't like it too much. Saying we drafted to fix last years draft bc we too a DT, RB, S, and OT in the same slots as last year. I like the prospects and regardless of who we took last year we need the depth at those positions this year and especially for next year.

I like the player, but why a Center in the 3rd...

BC the center we signed was a backup most of last year and went in after injury. He did well, but is 32 and one a one year deal. Eventually you have to draft one to be your starter for years. The Bears can groom him a year if need to be. He needs to add some muscle, but has time to get it done. I thought it was a good pick to fill a need. He may be a starter this season if he gets to were he needs to be.

Seems like the local media don't like it too much. Saying we drafted to fix last years draft bc we too a DT, RB, S, and OT in the same slots as last year. I like the prospects and regardless of who we took last year we need the depth at those positions this year and especially for next year.

That is more of a coincidence than anything else. There is no way they said "ok Emery went with Ferguson, lets correct that with Goldman". That is just silly, the media will find any angle. Goldman is better than Ferguson and Sutton, Amos is better than Vereen, and Langford has a higher ceiling than Carey.

I like the player, but why a Center in the 3rd...

He was drafted one round sooner than he should have, been he wouldnt have been there one round later. He is Olin Kreutz and once he takes over the center position and stays there for 10 years, you will be praising this pick in four years when he goes to a pro bowl. Probably my favorite pick of this draft.

He was drafted one round sooner than he should have, been he wouldnt have been there one round later. He is Olin Kreutz and once he takes over the center position and stays there for 10 years, you will be praising this pick in four years when he goes to a pro bowl. Probably my favorite pick of this draft.

There were some picks I thought there were better choices for, but the more I read about these prospects the more I like them.

Amos and Langford stick out the more you read about them.

The 6th round tackle, if we control his weight could be a RT starter for years. Has great core strength, and if he stays at 325 could be a Big Cat clone.

Glenn and Timu could stick with this team also. There lack of speed caused them not to get drafted, but are hard working, tough football players that could eventually find a place to play. Glenn needs to add 10 lbs but would be a good nickel corner.

Goldman will shine,White is a total stud, with work ethic, will be a top 10 WR in three years. He will surpass Jeffery in a few years. A better Marshall with speed and a good attitude.

This draft could have 6 future starters in it, how cool would that be.

I saw the subject line and first though, without even looking, is this has to be from Jason. :D

When we go across the board I'd say that you are correct. Not a lot of sizzle in this draft but I like all of the picks until we got to 6th Rd. But at that point it's whatever. I don't dislike Fabuluje per se but when a guy moves around from one place to another throughout college it's a red flag to me that he might not have the work ethic needed to take advantage of his talent. He gets to prove me wrong.

From what I see Goldman looks like a twin of Ferguson at the LOS. I don't mind seeing them side by side on 1st and 2nd downs. They will almost always command 3 blockers between them on running plays. Never more than two on passing plays though.

I do like the RB pick. I was calling for it for weeks, 2 years really, especially the need for speed. I liked Carey coming out of UofA but he needs to do more to impress me this preseason. I still think he'll be a good backup RB for us and hopefully the transition to a more run oriented offense will benefit him.

For a young first time GM I think Pace did very well, his enthusiasm and passion shows in his pressers very refreshing from the old nerd who talked down to people and drafted like he though was the smartest guy in the room. We've come a long way from last years collapse and dumpster fire of a season. We have a new GM who has passion, enthusiasm, well organized, and hard working, a new coaching staff that knows what success looks like and how to coach success. It's almost like the scene at the end of Terminator 2 when Sarah is saying for the first time she looks at the future with hope. For the past several seasons we've expectedly watched in horror as our "braintrust" crapped draft after draft down their legs. And had to be overactive in FA to cover for their drafting ineptitude. This has been such a refreshing offseason, and we as fans approached the the draft with a sense of hope. No draft is perfect, and no draft will suit every fan's expectation on every pick. But I feel like overall I'm pleased with this draft and feel like there is a lot of potential in this group as well as some of the UDFA signings. For once it's nice to walk away from the draft with optimism vs disappointment, confusion, and hope that somehow something good comes out of it. It's too early to tell how this draft will look in the next few years but I for one definitely walked away more hopeful about this years class than I have in many years. Could the tide be finally turning for us long suffering Bears fans. Time will tell.

No way he would have lasted until the 4th

No way he would have lasted until the 4th

He could've easily went in the late 2nd and would've been gone before we picked in the 4th, 4 Offensive Linemen went between our 3rd and 4th pick.

He was the 16th Offensive Linemen drafted and 3rd Center. He was easily a top 10 OLine prospect and at least the 2nd best Center.

Guest TerraTor

Praising.. sure

It'll be a while before we know anything about this draft. On paper you're right but frankly that's because for the first three rounds this draft was pure chalk. I'm not sure what that means. It almost feels like a young guy (Pace) not feeling confident in his own scouting reports just yet (too new a staff, his own experience and opinions not developed given all the transition in his life) so he went with consensus picks in areas of need.

The best you can say about this draft is that he correctly noted our needs and made a good faith effort to fill those holes.

I liked the draft. I'd give it a B to B+ but as is always the case, time will tell.

Regardless, Pace is doing a great job. His overall body of work has exceeded my expectations. I can't wait to see this team hit the field in training camp.

It'll be a while before we know anything about this draft. On paper you're right but frankly that's because for the first three rounds this draft was pure chalk. I'm not sure what that means. It almost feels like a young guy (Pace) not feeling confident in his own scouting reports just yet (too new a staff, his own experience and opinions not developed given all the transition in his life) so he went with consensus picks in areas of need.

The best you can say about this draft is that he correctly noted our needs and made a good faith effort to fill those holes.

I liked the draft. I'd give it a B to B+ but as is always the case, time will tell.

Regardless, Pace is doing a great job. His overall body of work has exceeded my expectations. I can't wait to see this team hit the field in training camp.

Please give me a GM who will do that year in and year out. That's how successful franchises are built.

Please give me a GM who will do that year in and year out. That's how successful franchises are built.

agree, even if a smart pick is a consensus, logical, even a predictable one. if it's a smart pick it's still a smart pick. Far better than a pick that makes pretty much everyone say Whaaaaa? And the pick requires your GM to have to sell the pick after the fact. I'll take the former every day of the week and twice on Sundays. The point is to add talent to build your team with not just make waves on the clock.

agree, even if a smart pick is a consensus, logical, even a predictable one. if it's a smart pick it's still a smart pick. Far better than a pick that makes pretty much everyone say Whaaaaa? And the pick requires your GM to have to sell the pick after the fact. I'll take the former every day of the week and twice on Sundays. The point is to add talent to build your team with not just make waves on the clock.

Exactly, you don't take Scherff at #5 when game changing playmakers are staring at you. I don't think Scherff will be a bad player at all but if you asked me about the gap between him and Grasu in the 3rd I don't think it's that big. They have different styles of play but both are very effective.

I do thank the man for helping White fall to us.

Exactly, you don't take Scherff at #5 when game changing playmakers are staring at you. I don't think Scherff will be a bad player at all but if you asked me about the gap between him and Grasu in the 3rd I don't think it's that big. They have different styles of play but both are very effective.

I do thank the man for helping White fall to us.

I agree that White > Scherff, but I don't think that has anything to do with position. If Johnathen Ogden falls into your lap, you draft him over just about every playmaker in the history of the game. That dude was a playmaker maker. He should have had a shirt that said, "I make playmakers."

But in general, I want a GM who doesn't try to outsmart everyone and pick a surprise like SMC. The majority here knew it was a bad pick, and some vehemently defended it, but it just didn't make sense then or now. That type of GM is not who I want. It may be boring to pick the BPA and link that up to team needs, but that's the best approach.

I agree that White > Scherff, but I don't think that has anything to do with position. If Johnathen Ogden falls into your lap, you draft him over just about every playmaker in the history of the game. That dude was a playmaker maker. He should have had a shirt that said, "I make playmakers."

But in general, I want a GM who doesn't try to outsmart everyone and pick a surprise like SMC. The majority here knew it was a bad pick, and some vehemently defended it, but it just didn't make sense then or now. That type of GM is not who I want. It may be boring to pick the BPA and link that up to team needs, but that's the best approach.

Well of course I agree with you here but as we both know, Scherff was far from Ogden's ability, and that was my point.

I don't know if the majority defended the SMC pick. I think it's more the majority said a) WTF then B) Who is this guy? then after another beer c) We need to give him a chance. That chance didn't pay off. I know I felt Chandler Jones fit our needs better, or even Nick Perry who ended up with the Packers and hasn't done much at all as an OLB. I even thought a guy like DeCastro would have been a better choice. After we've given up 50pts in several games here we are.

if the Redskins really was hooked on scherf, you'd thing the bears could have traded up for little for williams.

if the Redskins really was hooked on scherf, you'd thing the bears could have traded up for little for williams.

We were no way in hell trading up for anybody, we didnt have enough picks as it was, and giving a 2 away to move a couple of picks what have been stupid.