Decision on Alshon

adam

With the announcement of his 6th missed game, it is hard for me to see the Bears paying him Top 5 WR money or even franchising him for $12mil. The franchise number is skewed because of Megatron's ridiculous deal which looks even worse today (2016 cap hit $24mil). I think I would be ok with something under $10mil for a couple of years, but even $10mil a year would put him 11th overall. Is he worth it, especially considering the injury history?

If we did go in another direction, these are the best available WR's under 30 this season:

Unrestricted Free Agents:

Travis Benjamin, 25, CLE, 61-893-5

Marvin Jones, 25, CIN, 57-745-4

Rueben Randle, 24, NYG, 51-638-6

Rishard Matthews, 26, MIA, 43-662-4

Mohamed Sanu, 26, CIN, 29-359-0

I wouldn't mind Benjamin or Jones across from White.

Have to franchise tag him, IMO. Or, I don't know what's allowed in the CBA, but if they were to do a long term incentive-laden deal that protects them in case of injury, that would be ideal.

Forte and Cutler basically called him out this week and said he needs to do a better job taking care of his own body after games/practices. This soft-tissue stuff usually becomes an issue when guys aren't doing pre-hab or body maintenance to keep it from becoming a routine occurrence.

Furthermore, isn't it weird that this is happening during a contract year? Usually, it's the opposite. A guy always wants to make sure he's out there during game day to maximize his earning potential. Alshon just comes off to me as lazy, which is something scouts were concerned with when he was coming out of the draft.

I'd franchise him for one year, and if this stuff continues, I would trade him before next year's deadline, or just flat out let him walk.

Tag him or trade him but don't let him walk. I'd name about 30 WRs that I think are better than him pretty easy so I wouldn't break the bank for him. 8/ year

Please do.

Dude is 27th among WRs in yards and he's missed 6 games.

He's 8th in the league in yards per game.

Idk if you're factoring in health or not, but even factoring it in, you can't tell me he's still not a top 30 WR, that's just silly.

In his first 4 years, Gronk played in less games than Alshon has, is he not the best TE in the league? Julio Jones played in less as well, is he not a top 5 WR?

it maybe more then just soft tissue injury, he trains with BMarsh, he was known as a non effort guy while in college. We all thought he changed his ways. but that may not be the case.

I bet dollars to doughnuts, he has something going on in that head of his that Bmarsh planted. Watch if he ends up in New York than my assumptions would be upheld.

The franchise tag is an easy decision as we all know. If we end having Alshon play on that deal for one year then that's ok. We have the cap space and it gives us another year to see if he's handling his health issues better and deserve the big money deal. If not, we move on.

It also gives us the opportunity to trade him if a good deal shows up. You never know someone might throw a late 1st RD pick at us, plus something later. I haven't really looked at WR in the draft but a quick scan at CBSSports shows only two WR in the top 32. The 2nd WR listed is just 5'10". So this draft is not like the last couple years for WRs. If Alshon were drafted again there is zero doubt he'd be a 1st Rd pick.

Still, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush so I think keeping Alshon around for at least a couple years makes the most sense and we hope the coaches and training staff get him setup right for the future. The prospect of having Alshon and White on opposite sides is too enticing. I see Pace willing to pay a little more per year in exchange for the team having a way out if Jeffrey's injury woes continue and I think Jeffrey takes that deal.