Loggains officially promoted to OC

DABEARSDABOMB

Oddly we agree, I'm not excited about the hire either. Hope I'm wrong. With that said, I'm surprised we aren't hearing from the "Catering to Cutler" crowd since this is clearly an attempt to keep the same system in place so Jay can take another step forward. Bringing in an outsider would give him (and his fans) the ability to say "Yeah but... Another OC!"

Not sure how it'll all work out but I kinda got used to an entire staff that was either former HC's or highly thought of candidates to become an HC. This is simply the price of hiring those well thought of folks. Unfortunately we didn't get the high level success that usually comes with losing people like Gase the following season. But in the end, I think even Gase would say 2015 wasn't his best year. I thought the offense was professionally run but it never blew my doors off. Not that I mind conservative offense when your D is so suspect...

I know you weren't advocating this position but it sparked some thoughts on the whole catering to Cutler theme...

It's not clear to me why we wouldn't want to keep continuity in a system where Cutler has had his best year in many statistical categories. Belichick caters to Brady's strengths with the spread offense and short passing game, he's labeled a genius. Harbaugh caters to Kaepernick's strengths with the read-option and he's a genius. Ken Whisenhunt was a genius when he allowed his offense to cater to Kurt Warner's strengths. He was no longer a genius when he spent too much to get Kolb, a QB with no strengths to cater to, and he failed. Packers get credit all the time for always keeping the same offense year after year.

Now we finally had two guys in Loggains and Gase who got through to Cutler to just play it smart, and he did. Why it took so damn long we'll never know but I personally think Cutler himself had a lot to do with it. Part of that might have been the huge guaranteed contract that basically said you get all this whether your good or not so no need to worry about the stats anymore, and he decided to try something different. Regardless, if Fox feels Loggains is ready to ascend to this role under his supervision, and maintaining continuity with his QB and the rest of the offense is certainly a legitimate reason for wanting this, then why not?

I don't think Loggains will light it up this year but I also don't feel like there will be a terrible step backward into the unknown.

Agreed on Forte. I've become suspect of Bennett. Seems to me like a lot of picks happen on Bennet's watch...thrown to him. Like he's not in the right place too often.

What may hurt worse than a change at OC will be the possible loss of Forte and Bennett. Two comfortable targets for Cutler. We'll see.

But not last year... For many reasons. But, I think when you to the scale balance test, there seems to be more reasons to move on than retain. I don't think he's a long term solution, so moving on may be best. Especially if we can get something... Raiders have a lot of cap. maybe they can give us a 6th and work a deal.

Good point. But he's also got a lot of catches over the years.

Some comments from Long in regards to Loggains:

"He's [Loggains] somebody that works so well with Jay," Long said. "He's with him every day, all day. I couldn't see Jay Cutler without him, and I couldn't see this offense without him because of his ability to hold guys accountable."

"I couldn't have been happier that was the direction [the team] decided to go in."

"You know I say over and over again that guys on this coaching staff hold you accountable," Long said. "That could have been said with Gase too, but this guy [Loggains] will seek out a little face-to-face with you in order to get the point across. That's what you need sometimes."

I like the fact that he mentioned accountability and illustrated it with the seeking out a little face-to-face comment.

You have to start somewhere to be an up and coming coach. It sounds like he has player endorsements and their respect. The Fox regime had a clean slate, quickly earned the players respect after Trestman and crew were fired. Gase set the table for Loggains to step in with an upbeat squad. That is a difference from Tucker, who came into an old vet squad with a team that was bitter from the Lovie firing. Fingers are crossed that Loggains has the experience now after a couple failures to succeed. With Fox at the helm and a decent lineup, he should be fine. Invest in the oline and he may be the next hot coaching prospect.