Loggains officially promoted to OC

DABEARSDABOMB

Dave Ragone, former Louisville stud QB, is one names that has been mentioned. He was with the Skins this year (not sure what role, but Cousins took some steps forward).

I think it was Brad Biggs who thought it was going to be WR's coach Mike Groh promoted to be quarterbacks coach. The quick hiring of Loggains goes along with what Fox said in that there would be consistency, they have a system in place, and not to expect any changes.

On hindsight, at that press conference they knew it was likely Gase was gone and they new it would be Loggains.

I'm a little surprised that we didn't go with a bigger name like Wisenhunt. But I was initially surprised we went with Gase as the OC because of his age. So I trust Foxy on this one.

I like it for a couple of reasons.

1. He was highly involved in what they did last year, clearly was able to take notes from Gase who is known for his in game play calling. He knows what worked and didn't work

2. System stays the same and the terminology stays the same, offense doesn't have to learn an entire new playbook

2. Already has OC experience, was not a fan of Tice being hired to be a OC with no experience

3. Has a good relationship with Cutler, Cutler has wanted to work to work with him for a long time

The last significant coordinator hiring from within the organization that I can recall was Bob Babich and he was in way over his head. In this case, I like the fact we have continuity. Fox statement that this is "our" system means Loggains isn't bringing in his offense. That's something I didn't want to go through all over again and it would have been that way if we'd hired someone with more experience.

Fox knew there was a strong likelihood Gase would be gone this year so he's been able to keep an eye on Loggains, and other coaches, this past season to see if he had a realistic candidate for OC. We know Loggains was heavily involved in devising the game plans each week when we had so many injuries so it appears he has a good handle on adapting the system to what the players can do as opposed to those who want to adapt players to the system.

It's one thing to pass that test. Up in the air is if Loggains can adapt the play calls to what the defense is doing on game day. People learn and grow over the course of their career so we might not want to put too much weight into how Loggains fared in his work as the Titans OC. We have a stud DC in Fangio who needs no help from Fox. That means Fox can slide over to the offensive side in practice and prep meetings to ensure he's getting what he wants in the game plans.

Not to compare...but Browns fans said the same when the Pats hired Billicheck...

For me, the key is that Fox is in control. He is conservative.

Agreed, that I am not pumped. But, I've heard bad things about Wisenhunt that he loses locker rooms. So, who knows... Let's hope for the best as you said.

My hard core Titan fan friends have texted me with apologies for the hiring. Multiple have been the same text, "Sorry you got Low Gains."

Not pumped. Hope he proves everyone wrong.

I think Loggains is far more qualified than Babich ever was...

I (and I'm sure everyone here), just is hoping he'll be successful regardless of qualifications.

The last significant coordinator hiring from within the organization that I can recall was Bob Babich and he was in way over his head. In this case, I like the fact we have continuity. Fox statement that this is "our" system means Loggains isn't bringing in his offense. That's something I didn't want to go through all over again and it would have been that way if we'd hired someone with more experience.

Fox knew there was a strong likelihood Gase would be gone this year so he's been able to keep an eye on Loggains, and other coaches, this past season to see if he had a realistic candidate for OC. We know Loggains was heavily involved in devising the game plans each week when we had so many injuries so it appears he has a good handle on adapting the system to what the players can do as opposed to those who want to adapt players to the system.

It's one thing to pass that test. Up in the air is if Loggains can adapt the play calls to what the defense is doing on game day. People learn and grow over the course of their career so we might not want to put too much weight into how Loggains fared in his work as the Titans OC. We have a stud DC in Fangio who needs no help from Fox. That means Fox can slide over to the offensive side in practice and prep meetings to ensure he's getting what he wants in the game plans.

My hard core Titan fan friends have texted me with apologies for the hiring. Multiple have been the same text, "Sorry you got Low Gains."

Not pumped. Hope he proves everyone wrong.

Oddly we agree, I'm not excited about the hire either. Hope I'm wrong. With that said, I'm surprised we aren't hearing from the "Catering to Cutler" crowd since this is clearly an attempt to keep the same system in place so Jay can take another step forward. Bringing in an outsider would give him (and his fans) the ability to say "Yeah but... Another OC!"

Not sure how it'll all work out but I kinda got used to an entire staff that was either former HC's or highly thought of candidates to become an HC. This is simply the price of hiring those well thought of folks. Unfortunately we didn't get the high level success that usually comes with losing people like Gase the following season. But in the end, I think even Gase would say 2015 wasn't his best year. I thought the offense was professionally run but it never blew my doors off. Not that I mind conservative offense when your D is so suspect...

I hope Loggains can do a good job. He's young and has worked with some good coaches. That said, last time we tried to keep a system the same, we had Tucker and our defense and it turned into a disaster. However, Fox is not Trestman and he has a strong track-record of identifying the right candidates and getting the most of out his candidates. Clearly he was impressed with Loggains in the past year and thought it made sense to reward him with the position. If he wasn't impressed, Fox has the clout to get someone else. He clearly thought Loggains was the best man for the job. If for some reason it doesn't work out, well, I'm sure Fox will resolve the matter, but given his track record, I put my support behind the move (and agree that the path to consistency makes sense).

I also can't blame Loggains for the Titans. They had garbage talent, yet he got massive stats from Chris Johnson.

Stealing this from our old pal Balta who posted this on another board....

For anything you want to complain about, John Fox has a very strong record of moving coaching talent upwards. Gase started as Denver's WR coach for 2 years, then was their QB coach for 2 years, then moved up to OC and now is off to head coach. He replaced Mike McCoy who had the same path - QB coach, then coordinator, then in-demand HC candidate. That shouldn't be an unexpected promotion and it's hard to say Fox hasn't earned some benefit of the doubt on promoting his coordinators from within when they're all hired as head coaches within 2-3 years.

Don't forget about Mike Tice. He was the last OC promoted from within.

Stealing this from our old pal Balta who posted this on another board....

This post is supportive of why Marshall got moved his former WR coach in Denver was Gase and obviously he didn't want to deal with Marshall or else he would have emphasized how vital he would have been to his offensive scheme.