Alshon gets Tagged.

scs787

I saw something on three different Bears-related FB pages that said he was tagged. As well as ESPN. I'm guessing he was tagged and Hoge doesn't know WTF he's talking about.

Others are saying the same now too.

I hope they get something long term done. The 14M Cap hit wouldn't be the worst thing, but a long term deal would lower that number significantly.

Leming, Wiederer, Hoge, others all saying expectation is that a deal will be reached.

Aaron Leming ‏@AaronLemingNFL 1h1 hour ago

If I had to guess, I'm going to say that #Bears don't need to use the tag on WR Alshon Jeffery. Things moving positively, fast.

9 retweets 11 likes

Dan Wiederer ‏@danwiederer 53m53 minutes ago

At this point, Jeffery almost certainly will remain a Bear in 2016. And likely beyond. Next big news really will be #s on new contract.

Adam Hoge ‏@AdamHoge 1h1 hour ago

#Bears & Jeffery’s camp are still negotiating. And yes, they will tag him if a deal isn’t done. In other words, nothing has changed.

6 retweets 6 likes

Reading it might be the nonexclusive tag that is put on Jeffery. According to Leming that would mean he can negotiate with other teams but the Bears can match any offer or take 2 1st rounders.

I expect them to match, but 2 first rounders would be pretty intriguing.

Reading Alshon wants market value, one of getting him market value would be to actually test the market with the Bears having the option to match. Would be interesting to see how much teams are willing to pay him, and where those teams pick at.

Edit.....it is indeed the nonexclusive tag.

Reading it might be the nonexclusive tag that is put on Jeffery. According to Leming that would mean he can negotiate with other teams but the Bears can match any offer or take 2 1st rounders.

I expect them to match, but 2 first rounders would be pretty intriguing.

Reading Alshon wants market value, one of getting him market value would be to actually test the market with the Bears having the option to match. Would be interesting to see how much teams are willing to pay him, and where those teams pick at.

Edit.....it is indeed the nonexclusive tag.

If he holds to the "market value" (whatever that is) and the Bears end up paying it something tells me we're going to regret it. Not 100% sure he's worthy. Hasn't really done much other than those two years and because of injury or perhaps sulking (last year). I hope he turns into the next Megatron rather than the next David Terrell.

If he holds to the "market value" (whatever that is) and the Bears end up paying it something tells me we're going to regret it. Not 100% sure he's worthy. Hasn't really done much other than those two years and because of injury or perhaps sulking (last year). I hope he turns into the next Megatron rather than the next David Terrell.

Unless a team with a top 10 pick offers him a contract, you gotta hang on to him. If they let him go and he turns out to be Megatron for the great of his career the FO would get crucified.

He's a top 5 talent when healthy, and it's not like he's been injured more often than not.

I even hesitate at a top 10 pick to be honest.

He was officially tagged. Reports are it was the non-exclusive tag, meaning he is free to negotiate with other teams and sign deal. If he signs, Bears have opportunity to match contract or let him walk for 2 1st round picks.

Honestly? If the Bears can get two first rounders for Alshon, then I'd love it. I feel that way about most players that aren't sure fire HOFers. I know neither situation is exactly the same, but that's the type of draft pick stock-piling that turned the Cowboys of the 90s into a dynasty, and the current Patriots into a dynasty.

Thought here...which teams are in play? I see the following requirements:

1. Has a WR deficiency

2. Close to being contenders

3. Salary cap room to sign Alshon long term

With all that said, I think the two 1st rounders would likely be something mid-round this year, and something later next year. Still probably worth it in my opinion.

Chiefs?

Baltimore?

Rams?

Thought here...which teams are in play? I see the following requirements:

1. Has a WR deficiency

2. Close to being contenders

3. Salary cap room to sign Alshon long term

With all that said, I think the two 1st rounders would likely be something mid-round this year, and something later next year. Still probably worth it in my opinion.

Honestly? If the Bears can get two first rounders for Alshon, then I'd love it. I feel that way about most players that aren't sure fire HOFers. I know neither situation is exactly the same, but that's the type of draft pick stock-piling that turned the Cowboys of the 90s into a dynasty, and the current Patriots into a dynasty.

Just saw this, as I posted similarly on another thread. So, yes, I'm in!