Here's a unique mock draft

dawhizz

I think there's a lot of fluff in the PFF approach, but it does force me to look into prospects no one else is talking about. They certainly march to their own beat.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2016/...und-mock-draft/

It is interesting. Although at this point, I don't know if anyone has Jared Goff ranked ahead of Carson Wentz. And it has the Bears taking Chris Jones at #11. For what it's worth, Scounts Inc. has him ranked as the #32 prospect and Nolan Nawrocki has him #62. Although upsets happen in the draft every year.

I think there's a lot of fluff in the PFF approach, but it does force me to look into prospects no one else is talking about. They certainly march to their own beat. https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2016/...und-mock-draft/

They put a twist into the everyday mock draft read. I have been high on Chris Jones for a while, not sure pick 11 high though. I am not a fan of taking RB RD2 either.

They put a twist into the everyday mock draft read. I have been high on Chris Jones for a while, not sure pick 11 high though. I am not a fan of taking RB RD2 either.

I would love that draft, just not who they have us picking... I would love to see Ronnie Stanley in the first and A'shawn Robinson in the second, followed up with Darren lee in the third and move him to safety.... that would bring a smile to my face!!!

This years DL class is insanely talented and there is almost no difference between the 3rd ranked guy and the 10th ranked guy. I really wouldn't be shocked to something like Jones going top 15 at all.

I'm not a big fan of going RB that early, but with them trying to sign Anderson, it's not crazy to think they might go after a RB early.

I would love that draft, just not who they have us picking... I would love to see Ronnie Stanley in the first and A'shawn Robinson in the second, followed up with Darren lee in the third and move him to safety.... that would bring a smile to my face!!!

I was thinking Stanley and Robinson too.

This years DL class is insanely talented and there is almost no difference between the 3rd ranked guy and the 10th ranked guy. I really wouldn't be shocked to something like Jones going top 15 at all.

I'm not a big fan of going RB that early, but with them trying to sign Anderson, it's not crazy to think they might go after a RB early.

Buckner, Butler, and Jones are my targets at DT. I once had hope that Buckner would be my RD1 option, Butler my RD2, and Jones my RD3. If all 3 are gone, then maybe Adolphus Washington RD3 becomes a name to watch.

Regardless, DT should be a priority imo since Ferguson has a suspension to start the season and Sutton isn't a ideal fit. That leaves Goldman, Hicks, Unrein, Washington, and Sutton as bodies that can dress.

It will be interesting again to see what they plan on doing with Washington since he has athletic skills and size to play either OLB or DE. I figure he will return to DE since he was slotted there last season.

Buckner, Butler, and Jones are my targets at DT. I once had hope that Buckner would be my RD1 option, Butler my RD2, and Jones my RD3. If all 3 are gone, then maybe Adolphus Washington RD3 becomes a name to watch.

Regardless, DT should be a priority imo since Ferguson has a suspension to start the season and Sutton isn't a ideal fit. That leaves Goldman, Hicks, Unrein, Washington, and Sutton as bodies that can dress.

It will be interesting again to see what they plan on doing with Washington since he has athletic skills and size to play either OLB or DE. I figure he will return to DE since he was slotted there last season.

Anybody paying attention to Austin Johnson from PSU, has game.

I didn't realize it was as reeediculous as it is. I'll take this please:

1. Ronnie Stanley, OT, Notre Dame

2. A'Shawn Robinson, DE, Alabama

3. Kevin Dodd, OLB, Clemson

PFF continues to make some of the dumbest football statements and articles in the NFL world. :rolleyes:

And yet last year 7 playoff teams were clients of PFF.

I'm gonna bookmark the mock draft and look back to see how these guys do.

As part of no doubt thousands of other resources. Besides, why compile data someone else has already compiled? My issue is not their data, it is their conclusions and some of their interpretive stuff.

Depth overall is one thing but there is a difference between the players fitting your scheme and need. So if we're serious about adding a DT starter we can't just sit back and take whoever is left in Rd 3. When the Colts traded up to get Dwight Freeney and shocked the pundits they simply said it doesn't matter: If he's your guy then he's your guy and you need to go get him.

I'm a fan of Chris Jones but I used to think we could definitely grab him in Rd 2. He's strong against double teams and he can uproot an OG 1on1. He doesn't offer much in lateral movement skills. Now he's moved up on so many boards and mocks (back-filling a sliding Nkemdiche) I think he'll be gone in Rd 1. #11 seems to rich for that pick but if we trade back to #15 and if he's our guy then we should just take him.

My problem is I don't know what Fangio views as his Dline need. Does he want to keep Goldman at NT or move him to DE? Hicks is definitely one DE starter. Interest in Ian Williams in FA says we want Goldman at DE. Then we flipped and signed Hicks at DE. If we're looking for a NT we could very well go with A'Shawn Robinson at #11. If DE is the preference then that's not Robinson and someone like Jones fits the bill better IMO.

The plus side to putting Goldman at either NT or DE is that we have some flexibility and can wait until Rd 2 to grab best available of either. Rd 3 might leave us with Dline who fit 4-3 schemes better, or at least not starter quality players. We already have those in Ferguson and Sutton.

Here is what PFF looked like last year in their final mock:

1. Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Jameis Winston, QB, Florida State

2. Tennessee Titans – Marcus Mariota, QB, Oregon

3. Jacksonville Jaguars – Vic Beasley, Edge, Clemson (Fowler, OLB)

4. Oakland Raiders – Amari Cooper, WR, Alabama

5. Washington Redskins – Dante Fowler JR, Edge, Florida (Scherff, OG)

6. New York Jets – Randy Gregory, Edge, Nebraska (Williams, DE)

7. Chicago Bears – Leonard Williams, Defensive Interior, USC (White, WR)

8. Atlanta Falcons – Shane Ray, Edge, Missouri (Beasley, OLB)

9. New York Giants – La’el Collins, OT, LSU (Flowers, OG)

10. St. Louis Rams – DeVante Parker, WR, Louisville (Gurley, RB)

11. Minnesota Vikings – Kevin White, WR, West Virginia (Waynes, CB)

12. Cleveland Browns – Danny Shelton, Defensive Interior, Washington

13. New Orleans Saints – Nelson Agholor, WR, USC (Peat, OT)

14. Miami Dolphins – Jaelen Strong, WR, Arizona State (Parker, WR)

15. San Francisco 49ers – Henry Anderson, Defensive Interior, Stanford (Armstead, DT)

16. Houston Texans – Todd Gurley, RB, Georgia (Johnson, CB)

17. San Diego Chargers – Melvin Gordon, RB, Wisconsin

18. Kansas City Chiefs – Andrus Peat, OT, Stanford (Peters, CB)

19. Cleveland Browns (from Buffalo Bills) – Devin Smith, WR, Ohio State (Erving, C)

20. Philadelphia Eagles – Dorial Green-Beckham, WR, Oklahoma (Agholor, WR)

21. Cincinnati Bengals – Trey Flowers, Edge, Arkansas (Ogbuechi, OT)

22. Pittsburgh Steelers – Landon Collins, SS, Alabama (Dupree, OLB)

23. Detroit Lions – Grady Jarrett, Defensive Interior, Clemson (Tomlinson, OG)

24. Arizona Cardinals – Hau’oli Kikaha, Edge, Washington (Humphries, OT)

25. Carolina Panthers – Ereck Flowers, OT, Miami (Thompson, OLB)

26. Baltimore Ravens – Breshad Perriman, WR, UCF

27. Dallas Cowboys – Jalen Collins, CB, LSU (Jones, CB)

28. Denver Broncos – Brandon Scherff, G, Iowa (Ray, DE)

29. Indianapolis Colts – Marcus Peters, CB, Washington (Dorsett, WR)

30. Green Bay Packers – Jordan Phillips, Defensive Interior, Oklahoma (Randall, FS)

31. New Orleans Saints (from Seattle Seahawks) – Maxx Williams, TE, Minnesota (Anthony. ILB)

32. New England Patriots – Troy Hill, CB, Oregon (Brown, DT)

They got 6 correct picks, 7 correct positions, and 19 wrong picks and positions.

I didn't realize it was as reeediculous as it is. I'll take this please:

1. Ronnie Stanley, OT, Notre Dame

2. A'Shawn Robinson, DE, Alabama

3. Kevin Dodd, OLB, Clemson

PFF continues to make some of the dumbest football statements and articles in the NFL world. :rolleyes:

Hell in the 3rd, you could take Darron Lee or even Connor Cook.

Depth overall is one thing but there is a difference between the players fitting your scheme and need. So if we're serious about adding a DT starter we can't just sit back and take whoever is left in Rd 3. When the Colts traded up to get Dwight Freeney and shocked the pundits they simply said it doesn't matter: If he's your guy then he's your guy and you need to go get him.

I'm a fan of Chris Jones but I used to think we could definitely grab him in Rd 2. He's strong against double teams and he can uproot an OG 1on1. He doesn't offer much in lateral movement skills. Now he's moved up on so many boards and mocks (back-filling a sliding Nkemdiche) I think he'll be gone in Rd 1. #11 seems to rich for that pick but if we trade back to #15 and if he's our guy then we should just take him.

My problem is I don't know what Fangio views as his Dline need. Does he want to keep Goldman at NT or move him to DE? Hicks is definitely one DE starter. Interest in Ian Williams in FA says we want Goldman at DE. Then we flipped and signed Hicks at DE. If we're looking for a NT we could very well go with A'Shawn Robinson at #11. If DE is the preference then that's not Robinson and someone like Jones fits the bill better IMO.

The plus side to putting Goldman at either NT or DE is that we have some flexibility and can wait until Rd 2 to grab best available of either. Rd 3 might leave us with Dline who fit 4-3 schemes better, or at least not starter quality players. We already have those in Ferguson and Sutton.

I think the other related question is, if we do want a NT, what kind of NT do we want? Ian Williams is only 6'1" 305. So if we were looking at the body type at the nose, it would be really interesting if we envision, for instance, Goldman and Hicks at the DEs and take Sheldon Rankins and put him at the NT (I've even heard some draft profiles suggesting he could play the nose in a 3-4). To be honest, I just don't know enough about what Fangio wants in his DL to determine that, but it would be one way to go.

I think the other related question is, if we do want a NT, what kind of NT do we want? Ian Williams is only 6'1" 305. So if we were looking at the body type at the nose, it would be really interesting if we envision, for instance, Goldman and Hicks at the DEs and take Sheldon Rankins and put him at the NT (I've even heard some draft profiles suggesting he could play the nose in a 3-4). To be honest, I just don't know enough about what Fangio wants in his DL to determine that, but it would be one way to go.

If we draft Rankins and put him at NT I'd be curious to see how that works.

FWIW both Chris Jones and Vernon Butler have been invited to the draft. Typically they only invite 1st rounders. I think those 2 are gonna surprise some people by how high they go. I hope I'm wrong and one of the 2 are there in the 2nd for the Bears to take.

Butler could surprise but no way jones goes in the first. He has 2nd or 3rd round grade.

Butler could surprise but no way jones goes in the first. He has 2nd or 3rd round grade.

I think we will be lucky if we can get Nkimdiche, Butler, or Jones with our 2nd Round pick. Chris Jones's potential is what will propel him into possible RD1, his size and athletic ability puts him next to Buckner.

If a run on DT's starts up, don't be surprised if we trade back up to get one of those 3. Or ideally, we trade down from #11.