Sort of worried

jason

Recently I was at a charity 7-on-7 event that had multiple NFL players. I got a chance to talk to all of them in one-on-on settings. I probably shouldn't divulge who was there, or who said what, but there was a mix of incoming rookies, an all-pro guy, and a few veterans. More than one guy who has played in the SEC. Unfortunately, all were pretty negative about Leonard Floyd. They all think he's fast, explosive even, but they think he's going to get swallowed up by the blockers in the NFL. One player specifically said, "All you have to do is put one hand on him, and he's out of the play."

The players are not the scouts, but they generally have a decent feel about other players.

I'm genuinely worried about Floyd right now.

Recently I was at a charity 7-on-7 event that had multiple NFL players. I got a chance to talk to all of them in one-on-on settings. I probably shouldn't divulge who was there, or who said what, but there was a mix of incoming rookies, an all-pro guy, and a few veterans. More than one guy who has played in the SEC. Unfortunately, all were pretty negative about Leonard Floyd. They all think he's fast, explosive even, but they think he's going to get swallowed up by the blockers in the NFL. One player specifically said, "All you have to do is put one hand on him, and he's out of the play."

The players are not the scouts, but they generally have a decent feel about other players.

Definitely interesting, but it wouldn't change my assessment of him that much with that info. Either it is on the tape or it's not. Floyd is a freak, if he can bulk up a little without losing the explosiveness, I think he will be fine.

I think what you were told is largely correct based on how he played in college. I wasn't too hot on picking Floyd in the 1st Rd because there is so little on tape of him beating OTs off the edge. It was also obvious he was only used as a part time pass rusher and otherwise ran all over the field in different roles so he never had time to focus on edge rushing.

He does have the physical traits you want in a speed rusher off the edge. On film he has an explosive burst and covers a lot of ground with long strides very quickly. I was critical of his 3-cone time but after learning he was sick that day and unable to finish all the drills there is reason to believe that was far from his best. The best evidence that poor 3-cone time was an aberration is the fact the Bears brought him in for a 2-day visit during which he ran a full set of drills. I wasn't aware of that prior to the draft. Coaches, scouts, and GM all saw up close what he can do so they have a better idea of his ability than we were shown. Overall Pace and Fox have done well identifying talent in the last two offseasons so they get a little benefit of the doubt.

Then there is Fangio, a coach who proved to me he can best utilize a players talent last year. Given how well the defense played last year with so many misfits and lack of talent was impressive. Fangio watched Floyd run those drills at Halas Hall so he knows what he can do and how to use him. And Fangio wanted him drafted. Nor is Fangio that concerned that he's a guy who excels at converting speed to power. That was a bit surprising as Fangio generally prefers bigger OLB. Floyd will get stronger but he'll never be like McPhee who is just plain violent and the point of attack. OTOH McPhee will never be like Floyd either and lacks upfield burst and bend around the edge.

There's a lot of wait and see, but Floyd, who can cover TEs, could develop into a great chess piece around the LOS. It will take a couple seasons for us to see that potential. I see that as his floor but you don't draft a guy 9th overall for that role. He has to justify his draft position by developing into a double digit sack artist. That's Floyd's sole focus now. Unfortunately neither of our OTs will be the best challenge for him so I'll be skeptical of positive reports out of training camp. I believe we have the right staff to help Floyd reach his potential but I'm still in wait and see mode.

I don't see why not...

That's some damning information from sources usually not available to us fans.

However, it's not as though those concerns haven't been mentioned by numerous folks here, other sites and the football media.

I think we have reason to be concerned. However, I'm not worried. This defensive staff is one of the better ones in the league. Our HC is one of the better ones in the league. If anyone will push Floyd towards being impactful, it's them.

If the pick is a bust, all other moves have been made to better that D. It would be a clear blemish on the staff for choosing him, but if everything else pans out, it'll just be a swing and a miss.

I hope those multiple NFL players are wrong. Some even said the same about Url getting swallowed up by linemen. Not saying they are remotely the same...just saying he might get swallowed up time to time...but he also might flash some greatness now and then too. It's all about timing. Do the good plays at the right time outweigh the bad at the wrong time?

I don't see why not...

That's some damning information from sources usually not available to us fans.

However, it's not as though those concerns haven't been mentioned by numerous folks here, other sites and the football media.

I think we have reason to be concerned. However, I'm not worried. This defensive staff is one of the better ones in the league. Our HC is one of the better ones in the league. If anyone will push Floyd towards being impactful, it's them.

If the pick is a bust, all other moves have been made to better that D. It would be a clear blemish on the staff for choosing him, but if everything else pans out, it'll just be a swing and a miss.

I hope those multiple NFL players are wrong. Some even said the same about Url getting swallowed up by linemen. Not saying they are remotely the same...just saying he might get swallowed up time to time...but he also might flash some greatness now and then too. It's all about timing. Do the good plays at the right time outweigh the bad at the wrong time?

There is some smart coaches on this team, so I will trust until it proves otherwise.

{J}ust saying he might get swallowed up time to time...but he also might flash some greatness now and then too. It's all about timing. Do the good plays at the right time outweigh the bad at the wrong time?

Hey, if he gets swallowed up half the time, and gets sacks half the time, I'm guessing he gets swallowed up a lot more when he draws double-teams as the season progresses. Enter McPhee, Young, Houston, et al.

Agreed!

I'm also really curious at the impact Hicks and Bullard will have in the mix...

Shotgun theory...all those guys are bullets. One's bound to hit!

Hey, if he gets swallowed up half the time, and gets sacks half the time, I'm guessing he gets swallowed up a lot more when he draws double-teams as the season progresses. Enter McPhee, Young, Houston, et al.