Let's play an offseason game

jason

Let's play a game. Pick three free agents:

1. Max contract, the Bears spend & do everything to land this big name. Strippers sent to his house, midget telegrams, private jet pickups, Bears greats wine and dine him.

2. Big contract, a second tier guy with potential, looking for big money.

3. A promising young player or veteran with years left or fills a big hole

And then draft (no trade downs) based upon your free agent pickups.

FA #1 -

FA #2 -

FA #3 -

1. Max contract, the Bears spend & do everything to land this big name. Strippers sent to his house, midget telegrams, private jet pickups, Bears greats wine and dine him.

good idea, will have to give it more thought but for this now:

FA #1 - Eric Berry/FS the need for play makers is the most important thing

FA #2 - Trmaine Johnson /CB the same reason

FA #3 - Kawann Short/DT can play the 5t spot for strong front line

I haven't really done much draft prep yet, but I'll go with this (I assume retaining Jeffery doesn't count as a FA move):

FA #1 - Eric Berry, S, Chiefs - If's we're going to go big, go with the best player who solves the biggest problem on the team. It's hard for me to see Pace getting into a big bidding war for him, though, so someone like Jonathan Cyprien from the Jaguars might end up being the consolation prize.

FA #2 - AJ Bouye, CB, Texans - Came relatively out of nowhere to be the Texans best corner this year. He fits the Pace mold of a young, up and coming player.

FA #3 - Marquise Goodwin, WR, Bills - The Bears still don't have much speed on offense and will probably lose WR depth when they cut Royal and lose Thompson and Wilson, so I'd like to see what Goodwin can do.

1. Malik Hooker, S, Ohio State - The reinvention of the safety position is complete.

2. Desmond King, CB, Iowa - The reinvention of the secondary is complete.

3. Pat Mahomes, QB, Texas Tech - QBs always slip after the first round. One of the decent QBs will still be around here, I hope it's Mahomes.

4. Javarius Leamon, OT, SC State - Need a developmental OT prospect behind the starters.

4. Jake Butt, TE, Michigan - Injury will cause him to slip, but the Bears can be patient with him. We had a Butkus, why not a Butt?

5. Ejuan Price, DE/OLB, Pitt - Can never have too many pass rushers.

7. Zane Gonzalez, K, Arizona State - Need to solve the K situation.

FA #1 - Calais Campbell DL - massive size 6'8" 300# can pass rush, hold an edge. Bears still think Bullard can develop, Campbell gives him another season to groom.

FA #2 - Eric Berry FS - experienced center fielder to lead young guys. Bears Safties all seem to be tweeners SS/FS

FA #3 - Tony Jefferson SS - Promising young stud.

1. Deshone Kizer QB - has the size, arm, iq. Like Luck vs RG3, Kizer played pro style O. ND was a mess, his stock took hit

2. Desmond King CB- a 1sr RD talent should fall, CB or S. Picked CB sinc I had us taking two S in FA.

3. Chad Wheeler OT-watched a little tape today, wasn't impressed to be nfl LT. Didn't like his feet as a pass blocker. Maybe as RT.

4. Devonte Fields OLB

4. Kevin King CB

5. Kendall Beckwith ILB

7. Speedy Noil WR

FA #1 - Matt Kalil, OT or Riley Reiff, OT, either would significantly improve our OLine and offense while making a divisional opponent worse.

FA #2 - Stephon Gilmore, CB, we need a true #1 Corner, Gilmore would fill that role

FA #3 - John Cyprien, S, we need help at Safety, and if we can't get Reed, then Cyprien would be a nice consolation

1. Jonathan Allen, DE/DT

2. Desmond King, CB

3. Antonio Garcia, OT

4. Donnie Miles, S

4. Isaiah Ford, WR

5. Cole Hikutini, TE

7. Andy Phillips, K

FA #1 - Matt Kalil, OT or Riley Reiff, OT, either would significantly improve our OLine and offense while making a divisional opponent worse.

FA #2 - Stephon Gilmore, CB, we need a true #1 Corner, Gilmore would fill that role

FA #3 - John Cyprien, S, we need help at Safety, and if we can't get Reed, then Cyprien would be a nice consolation

1. Jonathan Allen, DE/DT

2. Desmond King, CB

3. Antonio Garcia, OT

4. Donnie Miles, S

4. Isaiah Ford, WR

5. Cole Hikutini, TE

7. Andy Phillips, K

Cyprien? we need play makers, he has had two interceptions in 4 years. We can do better than that.

Gilmore is quite the stud, 30 PDs and 8 int in the last two years.

Allen would be great but didnt draft a QB, that will not happen this year.

FA #1 - Eric Berry, if were going to spend money get the best playmaking FS.

FA #2 - Trumaine Johnson/CB grab a good corner, also could be A.J. Couye or Gilmore.

FA #3 -Kewann Short/5T a playmaker in the front line

1. Marlon Humphrey/CB I would like to take a OT here but there just not rated high enough to make it at this spot.

2.Dion Dawkins/LT a huge man that could start from day one

3. Jordan Leggett/TE grabbing a quality TE is huge for our offense

4. Cooper Rush or C.J. Beathard we grab our prospect for the future

4. Ejuan Price/edge rusher big stats

5.Amara Darboh/WR a speedster with some production

7.Karter Schult/5T/Northern Iowa big and good stats

We have two new CBs and the best FS in the game

add a LT that can start from day one

a legit TE

a sleeper QB prospect

Short will make our front 7 one of the top 7 in the league.

Cyprien? we need play makers, he has had two interceptions in 4 years. We can do better than that.

Gilmore is quite the stud, 30 PDs and 8 int in the last two years.

Allen would be great but didnt draft a QB, that will not happen this year.

Cyprien was my #3 FA, so not the biggest or best signing. He is a tackling machine though and would be definitely be an upgrade over what we have right now.

FA #1 - Eric Berry FS (like duct tape across the entire secondary Berry fixes all sorts of gaps)

FA #2 - Terrelle Pryor WR (Cam Meredith gives the Bears a bit of confidence in the WR corps and the Bears decide to move on from Alshon Jeffrey and field the most athletic tandem of big WRs in the NFL)

FA #3 - Kyle Juszczyk FB (with no good options at QB the 2017 Bears will rely on their running game. Go out and get one of the best FBs in the NFL to help clear space for Jordan Howard. Juszczyk is versatile, good in pass pro, can catch/run as well as make excellent lead blocks and is good on special teams where we could use leadership. Forget what FBs "make", use some of that Cutler/QB position savings and just pay the man)

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/...1227-story.html

1. QB Trubisky/Kizer I'm waiting on more draft info, right now I lean toward Trubisky over Kizer.

2. OT Garrett Bolles Good feet, good power, bad attitude.

3. CB Adoree Jackson Not quite the size Fangio wants but has all the athleticism needed to match up well on the outside and he has balls skills. I think he falls a bit just because so many CBs go ahead of him teams start drafting other positions and he has some work to do as a CB. His ability as a KR/PR is also welcome.

4. TE Adam Shaheen He has the size to be a good inline blocker yet can run/catch. DII so he's got a lot to learn but I'll let the man-among-boys tape do the talking

4. WR Artavis Scott fits the need at slot WR has some deep speed and can return kicks

5. RB Brian Hill competes to backup Howard

7. ILB Jaylen Reeves-Maybin more of good coverage LB, which was Timu's biggest liability.

Maybe I should have posted it like this because I haven't seen a single complaint and this is a thread Jason started. :)

FA #1 - Eric Berry FS (like duct tape across the entire secondary Berry fixes all sorts of gaps)

FA #2 - Terrelle Pryor WR (Cam Meredith gives the Bears a bit of confidence in the WR corps and the Bears decide to move on from Alshon Jeffrey and field the most athletic tandem of big WRs in the NFL)

FA #3 - Kyle Juszczyk FB (with no good options at QB the 2017 Bears will rely on their running game. Go out and get one of the best FBs in the NFL to help clear space for Jordan Howard. Juszczyk is versatile, good in pass pro, can catch/run as well as make excellent lead blocks and is good on special teams where we could use leadership. Forget what FBs "make", use some of that Cutler/QB position savings and just pay the man)

1. QB Trubisky/Kizer I'm waiting on more draft info, right now I lean toward Trubisky over Kizer.

3. CB Adoree Jackson Not quite the size Fangio wants but has all the athleticism needed to match up well on the outside and he has balls skills. I think he falls a bit just because so many CBs go ahead of him teams start drafting other positions and he has some work to do as a CB. His ability as a KR/PR is also welcome.

4. TE Adam Shaheen He has the size to be a good inline blocker yet can run/catch. DII so he's got a lot to learn but I'll let the man-among-boys tape do the talking

4. WR Artavis Scott fits the need at slot WR has some deep speed and can return kicks

7. ILB Jaylen Reeves-Maybin more of good coverage LB, which was Timu's biggest liability.

Maybe I should have posted it like this because I haven't seen a single complaint and this is a thread Jason started. :)

You want a complaint? :) I really dislike your draft. Literally every single pick.

Then I must be on to something. I am surprised you don't like on OT in the 2nd Rd. I've seen Bolles mocked as high as 20th in the 1st Rd, ahead of Robinson.

Nah, you're off. As far as I'm concerned, the Bears draft history allows us to critique the franchise heavily. And since none of our picks were made, we can't know if we would have done better. I'm convinced, however, that most on this board would have done better over the last 10+ years in the draft department.

As for Bolles, I just am not fond of him. I think he's a bit overrated.

For the record, the more I look at the DII TE, the more I'm intrigued. I'm also warming up to Adoree Jackson as a potential play-maker.

I'm not trying too be critical of your draft but it's too unrealistic to have three first round graded players as your top three picks AZ.

At the time I did this I used the top 100 board here: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings

All players were within about 5 spots of where I selected them. Things are changing quickly and a day after doing this Bolles suddenly showed up on a CBS Mock at pick #20. When I did this I think he was ranked about 30th overall. Jackson was shown as 54th overall and as I said I think he might slip back to early 3rd. That will likely change once the combine is over.

At the time I did this I used the top 100 board here: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings

All players were within about 5 spots of where I selected them. Things are changing quickly and a day after doing this Bolles suddenly showed up on a CBS Mock at pick #20. When I did this I think he was ranked about 30th overall. Jackson was shown as 54th overall and as I said I think he might slip back to early 3rd. That will likely change once the combine is over.

I have seen Bolles in the first round im several mocks. I think if we got him in the second that would be a plus. Although Robinson and the Wis LT would be preferable, they wont make it out of the first round. One LT , I think may have huge upside would be Dion Dawkns from Temple. The more I read about him the more I think he end up being a starter either drafted in the 2nd or more likely the 3rd.

Look at GBN draft report and see there ratings , i find them to be realistic to my thoughts so far on the draft.( a former NFL scout)

FA #1 - Matt Kalil, OT or Riley Reiff, OT, either would significantly improve our OLine and offense while making a divisional opponent worse. FA #2 - Stephon Gilmore, CB, we need a true #1 Corner, Gilmore would fill that role FA #3 - John Cyprien, S, we need help at Safety, and if we can't get Reed, then Cyprien would be a nice consolation 1. Jonathan Allen, DE/DT 2. Desmond King, CB 3. Antonio Garcia, OT 4. Donnie Miles, S 4. Isaiah Ford, WR 5. Cole Hikutini, TE 7. Andy Phillips, K

Just say no to Kalil, he's been one of the worst tackles in the league for a couple years now. Reiff was moved to RT and that is prob where he belongs.

1. Stephen Gilmore CB- Probably the best corner in this year's group.

2. Tony Jefferson S- For whatever reason signing Berry to a huge contract kinda scares me.

3. Gavin Escobar TE- Loved him out of the draft. Could be the next the to step out of Wittens shadow to shine(like Marty B)

1. Myles Garrett OLB- one way to really help the secondary is by building a dominant pass rush.

2. Pat Mahomes QB- Some might view this as a reach, but I loveeee me some Pat Mahomes.

3. Taylor Motion OT- I think he rises and won't be here but the only 7 round mock I see has him there sooo...

4. Kevin King CB- Huge 6'3" corner

5. Justin Jackson RB- Homer pick to compete with Langford as the backup

7. Austin Carr WR- Back to back Homer picks. Carr is a perfect slot guy and it's a shame he gets no draft buzz

Just say no to Kalil, he's been one of the worst tackles in the league for a couple years now. Reiff was moved to RT and that is prob where he belongs.

1. Stephen Gilmore CB- Probably the best corner in this year's group.

2. Tony Jefferson S- For whatever reason signing Berry to a huge contract kinda scares me.

3. Gavin Escobar TE- Loved him out of the draft. Could be the next the to step out of Wittens shadow to shine(like Marty B)

1. Myles Garrett OLB- one way to really help the secondary is by building a dominant pass rush.

2. Pat Mahomes QB- Some might view this as a reach, but I loveeee me some Pat Mahomes.

3. Taylor Motion OT- I think he rises and won't be here but the only 7 round mock I see has him there sooo...

4. Kevin King CB- Huge 6'3" corner

5. Justin Jackson RB- Homer pick to compete with Langford as the backup

7. Austin Carr WR- Back to back Homer picks. Carr is a perfect slot guy and it's a shame he gets no draft buzz

We have two 4th round picks

The Bears were 12th in the league with 37 sacks, yet somehow they were last in the league in takeaways. That tells me there were several coverage sacks, and a lot of opportunities missed.

With multiple key contributors missing for the entire year, that no doubt affected the results. Floyd, Goldman, and McPhee playing the entire year likely means at least 5 more sacks, which puts the Bears at a tie for 3rd in the NFL. If the Bears were healthy, however, I don't think they would have had that many more takeaways. Other guys missed some time as well, but none of them appear to be the game-changer takeaway guys the Bears need.

Let's assume full health next year. That means Kyle Fuller is playing for his life and hopefully does better, and the collection of LBs (especially Trevathan) put in a bit better work. But the Bears still probably need someone to catch those INTs. Because of that, I'm steering more towards the idea that the Bears need 3-4 secondary players in FA or in the draft.

FAs -

1. Eric Berry - Do everything to get Eric Berry. Hookers, condos, deep-dish, add in incentives and bonuses, let him choose a retired number, absolutely everything to get him.

2. Riley Reiff - He fills a need, he's one of the best available, he's still relatively young, and is better than either OT on the Bears. Added bonus: poaching within the division.

3. A J Bouye or Malcolm Butler - This is Kyle Fuller insurance. Fuller, Bouye, and Butler are all probably #2 CBs, and could start if the Bears couldn't get a lockdown #1 CB in the draft.

Draft

1. MG or JA - Either one transforms the Bears Defense when they replace Unrein, who is a place-holder and backup. Adding Myles Garrett or Jonathan Allen as the DE in the 1st adds sacks, minimizes the pocket time of opposing QBs, and increases the chances for INTs.

2. Lock-down CB - I'm sold on the idea that CBs with potential in this class are thin after the 2nd round. One must be grabbed fairly early. There are multiple there, and I think I prefer Desmond King at this spot, but if we were going with my philosophy of needing play-makers,

, despite me not being his biggest fan (see above), might be the best bet. There is no denying he is an explosive, ball-hawk CB. Also, he doesn't quite pose the "super athlete"-enigma that Jabrill Peppers poses (e.g. Devin Hester). Jackson has always been a CB, who just happens to be such a great athlete that they get him some snaps on O & ST. He'd likely be in the kick return mix as well.

3. Jordan Leggett, TE, Clemson - I like him or Evan Engram here. I think either is a future pro-bowler, but Legget's size is hard to ignore. He would be a great weapon for a young QB.

4. Ryan Switzer, WR, North Carolina - The Bears need sure hands. Few hands are surer than Switzer's. He immediately fills Eddie Royal's disappointing and likely departure. He also competes with Adoree Jackson for kick return duties. He becomes the young QB's security blanket. This is also somewhat hedging the bets on needing sure-handed guys since Kevin White is an unknown, and Alshon is likely gone IMO. There will be a lot of short passing and running, which is fine because it fits the defense-first team well.

4. Chad Kelly, QB, Ole Miss - Speaking of young QBs, here he is. This guy is still probably the best on-field QB in the draft. His ACL injury will drop him in the draft, and he was already going to drop because of his off-field personality. I've been on record many times saying I don't care about that stuff much. He's a leader in the same way McMahon was a leader.

- He has 15 INTs in the last two years, with
, and is a very willing tackler. After someone on the board mentioned him a while back, I've done some research. He seems to win every 50/50 ball, has good route anticipation, and destroys plays on the edge. He comes in like a strong safety just itching to blow up RBs on sweeps and WRs on screens. He should be getting more love. He may go earlier than this.

7. Weston Steelhammer, SS, Air Force - With his size, stats, and production, I don't know why he's not getting more love. Last year I called out Kwiatkowski as a guy I thought should be getting more pub. This year I'm about to get on board the Steelhammer train. Great name, tackling machine, rangy in pass defense, great hands, and a rare ball-hawk at SS. Being from a military academy means virtually no character concerns. I wouldn't be surprised if this 7th rounder beats someone out for a position.

The Bears were 12th in the league with 37 sacks, yet somehow they were last in the league in takeaways. That tells me there were several coverage sacks, and a lot of opportunities missed.

With multiple key contributors missing for the entire year, that no doubt affected the results. Floyd, Goldman, and McPhee playing the entire year likely means at least 5 more sacks, which puts the Bears at a tie for 3rd in the NFL. If the Bears were healthy, however, I don't think they would have had that many more takeaways. Other guys missed some time as well, but none of them appear to be the game-changer takeaway guys the Bears need.

Let's assume full health next year. That means Kyle Fuller is playing for his life and hopefully does better, and the collection of LBs (especially Trevathan) put in a bit better work. But the Bears still probably need someone to catch those INTs. Because of that, I'm steering more towards the idea that the Bears need 3-4 secondary players in FA or in the draft.

FAs -

1. Eric Berry - Do everything to get Eric Berry. Hookers, condos, deep-dish, add in incentives and bonuses, let him choose a retired number, absolutely everything to get him.

2. Riley Reiff - He fills a need, he's one of the best available, he's still relatively young, and is better than either OT on the Bears. Added bonus: poaching within the division.

3. A J Bouye or Malcolm Butler - This is Kyle Fuller insurance. Fuller, Bouye, and Butler are all probably #2 CBs, and could start if the Bears couldn't get a lockdown #1 CB in the draft.

Draft

1. MG or JA - Either one transforms the Bears Defense when they replace Unrein, who is a place-holder and backup. Adding Myles Garrett or Jonathan Allen as the DE in the 1st adds sacks, minimizes the pocket time of opposing QBs, and increases the chances for INTs.

2. Lock-down CB - I'm sold on the idea that CBs with potential in this class are thin after the 2nd round. One must be grabbed fairly early. There are multiple there, and I think I prefer Desmond King at this spot, but if we were going with my philosophy of needing play-makers,

, despite me not being his biggest fan (see above), might be the best bet. There is no denying he is an explosive, ball-hawk CB. Also, he doesn't quite pose the "super athlete"-enigma that Jabrill Peppers poses (e.g. Devin Hester). Jackson has always been a CB, who just happens to be such a great athlete that they get him some snaps on O & ST. He'd likely be in the kick return mix as well.

3. Jordan Leggett, TE, Clemson - I like him or Evan Engram here. I think either is a future pro-bowler, but Legget's size is hard to ignore. He would be a great weapon for a young QB.

4. Ryan Switzer, WR, North Carolina - The Bears need sure hands. Few hands are surer than Switzer's. He immediately fills Eddie Royal's disappointing and likely departure. He also competes with Adoree Jackson for kick return duties. He becomes the young QB's security blanket. This is also somewhat hedging the bets on needing sure-handed guys since Kevin White is an unknown, and Alshon is likely gone IMO. There will be a lot of short passing and running, which is fine because it fits the defense-first team well.

4. Chad Kelly, QB, Ole Miss - Speaking of young QBs, here he is. This guy is still probably the best on-field QB in the draft. His ACL injury will drop him in the draft, and he was already going to drop because of his off-field personality. I've been on record many times saying I don't care about that stuff much. He's a leader in the same way McMahon was a leader.

- He has 15 INTs in the last two years, with
, and is a very willing tackler. After someone on the board mentioned him a while back, I've done some research. He seems to win every 50/50 ball, has good route anticipation, and destroys plays on the edge. He comes in like a strong safety just itching to blow up RBs on sweeps and WRs on screens. He should be getting more love. He may go earlier than this.

7. Weston Steelhammer, SS, Air Force - With his size, stats, and production, I don't know why he's not getting more love. Last year I called out Kwiatkowski as a guy I thought should be getting more pub. This year I'm about to get on board the Steelhammer train. Great name, tackling machine, rangy in pass defense, great hands, and a rare ball-hawk at SS. Being from a military academy means virtually no character concerns. I wouldn't be surprised if this 7th rounder beats someone out for a position.

I like the way you are thinking, the only thing I might change is a WR instead of a TE. I am worried about the WR position if we don't get AJ back, KW is a big question mark and all we have is CM that is worthy of starting besides AJ.