Super Bowl Open Thread

adam

Does anyone hate that SMC is in this game?

Not the way the Pats are playing.

Falcons are dominating, Pats are old and tired.

If Pats lose, Brady will be 4-3 in Super Bowls, still GOAT? If they win, then no doubt.

Lady Gaga was actually decent.

Sorry, no one is GOAT. It's greatest per era. In in that, Brady is the greatest of this era. Montana the last. Etc. The game is too different era to era as in every sport. It's a fault of media and people in general to have short term memories.

But, damn if Atlanta didn't choke. Literally the biggest choke on the biggest stage. At least in this modern era! The only close one is the Bills and Titans...I think.

Ryan is great in fantasy, not so good in reality.

Brady is GOAT, no doubt now, but man, Atlanta choked.

Matty Ice was melted, he is going to end up one of those guys that can put up great post season numbers but comes up short in the post season.

Sorry, no one is GOAT. It's greatest per era. In in that, Brady is the greatest of this era. Montana the last. Etc. The game is too different era to era as in every sport. It's a fault of media and people in general to have short term memories.

But, damn if Atlanta didn't choke. Literally the biggest choke on the biggest stage. At least in this modern era! The only close one is the Bills and Titans...I think.

atlanta... complete chumps. had the game won twice and pissed it away. in reality, i find it hard to believe any coaching staff is that stupid. a field goal signs the pats death warrant and they do the SAME thing twice in a row and end up punting? smells like week old dead fish.

again, the refs determined the outcome of this superbowl. the first TD was due to the refs giving the pats TWO golden penalties to give them the first touch down. subtract that and who wins?

One thing not really mentioned is luck.

I've never seen one franchise have so much talent, and so much luck at once. It's usually one or the other.

atlanta... complete chumps. had the game won twice and pissed it away. in reality, i find it hard to believe any coaching staff is that stupid. a field goal signs the pats death warrant and they do the SAME thing twice in a row and end up punting? smells like week old dead fish.

again, the refs determined the outcome of this superbowl. the first TD was due to the refs giving the pats TWO golden penalties to give them the first touch down. subtract that and who wins?

i thought the refs did a pretty good job. they certainly were correct in throwing th eflag one a least 4 holding calls...really not even a question.

The calls were pretty justified, if you were talking about the holding calls, those were easy calls. I actually thought Atlanta got away with a few late hits on Edelman out of bounds that weren't called.

Thoughts on MJ being the GOAT of basketball?

The game is very different era to era. Its one of the reasons even before this SB victory that I thought Brady was the best Qb of all time. What he has done without a Jerry Rice type WR is amazing(he did have Randy Moss for a couple of seasons but if I remember correctly it was 2 seasons). He has never had a Terry Bradshaw Steeler defense or Lyn Swan WR or Franco Harris RB. He has had good talent around him but no Hall of Famer counterparts, Gronk will be a hall of famer but other then that maybe Weds Welker (not sure tho). He has always had guys around him that he makes look really good.

The game is very different era to era. Its one of the reasons even before this SB victory that I thought Brady was the best Qb of all time. What he has done without a Jerry Rice type WR is amazing(he did have Randy Moss for a couple of seasons but if I remember correctly it was 2 seasons). He has never had a Terry Bradshaw Steeler defense or Lyn Swan WR or Franco Harris RB. He has had good talent around him but no Hall of Famer counterparts, Gronk will be a hall of famer but other then that maybe Weds Welker (not sure tho). He has always had guys around him that he makes look really good.

MJ is the GOAT, regardless of era.

Brady is clearly the GOAT now, in terms of QB's. Just take a look as his leading receiver and leading rusher every year. It is borderline comical what he has done with some of those guys, and Cutler couldn't do half that with Marshall, Jeffery, Bennett, and Forte.

The one that surprised me was the one in OT in the end zone. It was indeed PI, but historically, that's not called in that tight of a game. Especially the SB. The best example of that recently is Kaepernick not getting the PI call against the Ravens on the last play of that SB. It's a lack of consistency. So either SF got screwed or ATL did. That said, NE was going in for the TD regardless.

i thought the refs did a pretty good job. they certainly were correct in throwing th eflag one a least 4 holding calls...really not even a question.

In that era yes. Others say Wilt or Bill Russell in older generations. If I'm picking one player in history to take my shot, it's MJ... But, I'm Chicago biassed!

He also didn't get punished the way QB's in Montana's day did. Also, the WR's run free...whereas there was far more contact, etc back in the day. I am not downplaying Brady's greatness in the modern era. I simply think it's not logical to say one one player from one era is the greatest of all time. By the way, he's had amazing defenses. He's had some damn good receivers. Edelman is no slouch. He's also had incredible and consistent coaching. And incredible and consistent luck...from the tuck rule to the Edelman grab last night. All that said, again...great. Just not fair to say of all time.

In that era yes. Others say Wilt or Bill Russell in older generations. If I'm picking one player in history to take my shot, it's MJ... But, I'm Chicago biassed!

He also didn't get punished the way QB's in Montana's day did. Also, the WR's run free...whereas there was far more contact, etc back in the day. I am not downplaying Brady's greatness in the modern era. I simply think it's not logical to say one one player from one era is the greatest of all time. By the way, he's had amazing defenses. He's had some damn good receivers. Edelman is no slouch. He's also had incredible and consistent coaching. And incredible and consistent luck...from the tuck rule to the Edelman grab last night. All that said, again...great. Just not fair to say of all time.

I've never heard of any of the Pats D compared to the Steel Curtain,

I've never heard of any of the Pats D compared to the Steel Curtain,

Interestingly enough, if you compare their defensive pts against rank for their Super Bowl wins, it amazingly close:

NE 5 wins: 1st, 8th, 2nd, 1st, 6th

PIT 4 wins: 5th, 1st, 2nd, 2nd

So NE actually won 2 years when they had the #1 scoring defense, and Pittsburgh only did it once, and Pittsburgh had a top 5 offense every year they won.