Bears Looking at AJ McCarron

DABEARSDABOMB

Personally, I don't think this is a bad view. If you can get him for a 3rd round pick, you get a guy who you think can play now and who has some upside, but if he doens't work out, you aren't tied to him (and realistically, could and should still draft a QB sometime, relatively early in this years draft). The question is, what would Cinncy want to trade AJ. I know Bill Polian had said that AJ was a QB he would target. Polian has also been on record as saying that Cutler is the best available QB right now (not counting Kirk Cousins).

Personally, I don't think this is a bad view. If you can get him for a 3rd round pick, you get a guy who you think can play now and who has some upside, but if he doens't work out, you aren't tied to him (and realistically, could and should still draft a QB sometime, relatively early in this years draft). The question is, what would Cinncy want to trade AJ. I know Bill Polian had said that AJ was a QB he would target. Polian has also been on record as saying that Cutler is the best available QB right now (not counting Kirk Cousins).

I think the problem is this regime is going to have to start showing results in wins this year and do not have a QB in place. To take a chance on a rookie high that will start is the opposite side of trying to win this year so this makes sense. We can still draft a prospect and trade for McCarrin and may be able to finish 8-8 this year and would save Foxys job.

I think the problem is this regime is going to have to start showing results in wins this year and do not have a QB in place. To take a chance on a rookie high that will start is the opposite side of trying to win this year so this makes sense. We can still draft a prospect and trade for McCarrin and may be able to finish 8-8 this year and would save Foxys job.

I tend to think the Bears are going to give Pace / Fox more time then maybe the fans think. Heck, letting Jeffrey walk isn't a move you make if you are right on the cusp of contention. It goes more into the long-term vision of what they are trying to build. I still think it is laughable to lose an asset like that for nothing, but the devil really is in who do we use that cap space on and if we believe in Meredith, that could help fill some of that void. If they think their jobs are in heat, then I think it is much more likely you see them make a move for a vet (or at least a Jimmy G / AJ McCarron) as you'd expect they would be more ready to potentially help you win. None of these QB's at the top of the draft are going to lead us into the playoffs next year (or probably even the following year). Maybe 3 years from now. It flat out takes time.

I tend to think the Bears are going to give Pace / Fox more time then maybe the fans think. Heck, letting Jeffrey walk isn't a move you make if you are right on the cusp of contention. It goes more into the long-term vision of what they are trying to build. I still think it is laughable to lose an asset like that for nothing, but the devil really is in who do we use that cap space on and if we believe in Meredith, that could help fill some of that void. If they think their jobs are in heat, then I think it is much more likely you see them make a move for a vet (or at least a Jimmy G / AJ McCarron) as you'd expect they would be more ready to potentially help you win. None of these QB's at the top of the draft are going to lead us into the playoffs next year (or probably even the following year). Maybe 3 years from now. It flat out takes time.

Excellent assessment and the more I've thought about this offseason, between the talent in FA and the draft, the more I see Pace/Fox focused on building the defense. Given the makeup of the roster this is likely the shortest path to winning.

On the one hand I hear the name 'Osweiler' ringing in my head when I think of our team signing someone else's backup QB to be the starter. On the other hand Bill Polian thinks it would be a good idea to have teams consider McCarron their starter. (OF course he also thought Cutler would be the best FA available when available).

I can't understand why Cincy is so steadfast on getting better than a 3rd or 4th round for him. They only chose him in the 5th round to begin with and it's not like he's lit it up in his 3(?) starts. Just good I'd say. I saw another article that proposed a 'player for player' trade. In this instance it suggested SF bring the idea of trading for McCarron in exchange for DE Armestead and a 6th(?) pick. Apparently Cincy is in need of some DL help. If we were to go that route do we have a player they might could use and a better draft pick? Say our 5th? Or maybe McCarron straight up for one of our 4th's?

I like the fact Pace is floating around that we're not "all-in" on Garoppolo. McCarron in my view is no better or worse than Hoyer. Giving up a draft pick for him makes him a little worse as we might as well grab our own QB like Webb or Peterman with that pick.