QB in the second round

jason

I know there are varying opinions on whether the Bears should spend the #3 pick on a QB.

I also know there are a ton of mocks that have the QBs going all over the place. Often I've seen a "top 3" QB drop into the second round.

Assuming the Bears pass on QB in the 1st, and one of the top 3 QBs slide, is it a guarantee that the Bears pick said QB if he fell to them?

If somehow Trubisky (highly unlikely), Watson (unlikely), or Kizer (fairly unlikely) fell to the Bears in the 2nd round, I think it's a 100% guarantee that the Bears would have to draft said QB.

Agree?

I would tend to also think we go D in the first, then go QB next. However, I do see a possible move up...especially if a few of those names are still sitting there.

I know there are varying opinions on whether the Bears should spend the #3 pick on a QB.

I also know there are a ton of mocks that have the QBs going all over the place. Often I've seen a "top 3" QB drop into the second round.

Assuming the Bears pass on QB in the 1st, and one of the top 3 QBs slide, is it a guarantee that the Bears pick said QB if he fell to them?

If somehow Trubisky (highly unlikely), Watson (unlikely), or Kizer (fairly unlikely) fell to the Bears in the 2nd round, I think it's a 100% guarantee that the Bears would have to draft said QB.

Agree?

Agree?

I think we will draft one of those QB's and might trade-up to get them. Kizer will probably be there (unless he has a great pro-day). Mahomes is the other name not listed who I think we will be looking at in the 2nd round. Watson seems like a guy we like a lot.

I no longer think we'll make a trade up from our 2nd Rd pick into the 1st Rd for a QB. Pace is pretty committed to Glennon as the starter. If any of the top 3 listed are there in the 2nd Rd then I think you are right, we might take one.

I no longer think we'll make a trade up from our 2nd Rd pick into the 1st Rd for a QB. Pace is pretty committed to Glennon as the starter. If any of the top 3 listed are there in the 2nd Rd then I think you are right, we might take one.

The first 3 QB prospects are large question marks to be drafted at the front end of the draft.

None will make it out of the first round, they will be over drafted.

I look at Draftcoundown for some of my information on the draft.

He has Kizer rated 18th

Trubisky is 31th

Watson is 36th

Mahones is 41

Webb is 88

Kaaya is 93

Peterman is 142

Dont know about the rest but I think the first three are realistic

So from what I read, Webb and Perterman has got some scouts thinking.

So I propose we wait into the 3rd round and try to get Perterman or Webb and hope one develop.

The frist 3 have more upside, but the their value does not match a high pick in one.

The first 3 QB prospects are large question marks to be drafted at the front end of the draft.

None will make it out of the first round, they will be over drafted.

I look at Draftcoundown for some of my information on the draft.

He has Kizer rated 18th

Trubisky is 31th

Watson is 36th

Mahones is 41

Webb is 88

Kaaya is 93

Peterman is 142

Dont know about the rest but I think the first three are realistic

So from what I read, Webb and Perterman has got some scouts thinking.

So I propose we wait into the 3rd round and try to get Perterman or Webb and hope one develop.

The frist 3 have more upside, but the their value does not match a high pick in one.

45 days until draft day and it is anybodys guess what the Bears do. I will say this is the first year I am completely lost on trying to guess. FA didnt go as I expected and the draft will probably follow suit.

45 days until draft day and it is anybodys guess what the Bears do. I will say this is the first year I am completely lost on trying to guess. FA didnt go as I expected and the draft will probably follow suit.

Pace the last two years chased high end free agents but would only go so high before it became to risky to pay big money. I personally dont think Gilmore or Bouye are worth their contracts but would still like to have seen one,but Pace is bend on building through the draft and has set values on free agents. I think once we are ready to make the leap and need a few players to get over the hump, he will pay the big money. we are just at least one ,probably two years away from that moment. Every good team has gotten there by drafting well, we are trying to become one of those teams. I think the jury is still out, but if White comes through this year, and we have another good draft, then I would say we are on our way to being one of those teams.

Pace has to say he is committed to Glennon as the starter (anything otherwise would basically give you no leverage if you want to move around in the draft).

The second tier of prospects is where the Bears are probably targeting with Glennon as a 2 year window to this prospect. My second tier is Mahomes, Webb, Kaaya and Peterman are in this group IMO. Peterman because the staff worked with him and could see if what they showed him translated on the field at the Senior Bowl.

Agree?

Agreed 100%. Last year at this time we were hearing rumors about the top 2 QB's moving up. That ain't happening this year.

I think we all agree we'd love to see the Bears get Trubisky, Keizer, or Watson in round #2. Except Cleveland and San Fran fans are thinking the same thing. It ain't happening. And we don't have the ammo to move up.

It's much easier to move around on the 2nd day. Last year we moved down and drafted Cody Whitehair. I could easily see us moving down to take Kaaba, Peterman, or Mahomes.

McShay's latest mock at ESPN doesn't have Kizer even going in the first round. If we could snag Adams or someone at 3 and a QB like Kizer in the 2nd, that'd be pretty intriguing. Certainly would make up for these free agency fumbles.

EDIT: Kiper's mock has Kizer going unselected in the first.

McShay's latest mock at ESPN doesn't have Kizer even going in the first round. If we could snag Adams or someone at 3 and a QB like Kizer in the 2nd, that'd be pretty intriguing. Certainly would make up for these free agency fumbles.

EDIT: Kiper's mock has Kizer going unselected in the first.

I'd be ok with that. I hear rumblings of Trubisky or Watson though. Pace has a two year crush on Watson and really likes Trubisky this year. I can see him going elsewhere now with Glennon too.

I see them set up now to go QB Watson/Trubisky, CB Lattimore, S Adams/Hooker, or OLB Thomas/Reddick with #1.

edit: I have been mixed up on John Jenkins and John Hankins, smh. Hankins would have eliminated a 5T need, Jenkins is depth at NT like others have said. Might still want Allen who can play that, unless they can still sign Hankins.

I've been watching some Mahomes games and I have to say - he terrifies me. He definitely has the best arm talent in the draft. Some of the throws he makes are unreal. But his mechanics are frequently awful. Throws off his back foot. Backpedaling from pressure. Throwing with both feet off the ground. Blind throws. The Jay Cuyler comparisons are concerning and completely warranted, except that Cutler was more pro-ready because he came from an offense much more similar to an NFL offense. You watch the receivers in the Texas Tech and they are frequently wide open. There's a 5% chance Mahomes is Aaron Rodgers 2.0, but there's so much work to do with him and so many ways it can go wrong.v