Finding the next Kwiatkoski

jason

I've seen rumors about LB being a secondary priority for the Chicago Bears recently, and I think it's borderline crazy. Way too many other needs.

If the Bears do need a guy, however, because they're worried about Trevathan's injury, I think they need to find the next Kwiatkoski.

They should look for:

-ILB

-Tackling machine

-Unheralded by national media

-Missing one or two "must have" physical traits

Last year I was all aboard the Kwiatkoski express, and this year I am starting to really like another guy of the same mold. Ladies and Gents, I present to you:

Blair Brown, LB, Ohio

Watch this highlight and tell me you don't love him.

I see a player who willingly engages blockers and sheds them, a LB who runs through offensive linemen regularly, diagnoses the play with lightning speed, and absolutely destroys screens like he was in the offensive huddle.

He had 128 tackles and 4.5 sacks last year, and right now he's flying way under the radar. He's the 27th ranked OLB on Walter's rankings, and that's fine with me. I think he really an ILB. And for those of you who are PFF fans, he's apparently the second rated run defense LB in the nation, behind Reuben Foster.

What a coincidence, the Bears have multiple 4th round draft picks this year. I wouldn't mind seeing Brown picked up with the second of those picks. If he's there in the 6th, that's a no-brainer.

See, I think you already found Kwiatkoski. You have two starters at ILB that just signed multi-year contracts, Kwiatkoski, and Timu/Anderson (who were OK when they were in there), plus Christian Jones and play inside in a pinch. Is a late round pick going to be a real upgrade from Timu? I tend to doubt it.

I think you need to find a Kwiatkoski type at OLB. Floyd is obviously a long term-starter, but Houston and Young are nearing the end of their deals and are prime cut/trade candidates. Acho is mostly a special teamer and Robertson-Harris sounds like he's transitioning to DE, so there's no young talent at OLB except Floyd. I'd like to see a well-rounded tackling machine/unheralded guy in the 5th or 7th (we don't have a 6th round pick) to develop at OLB. Maybe Blair Brown can be that guy. My "guy" is Jalen Reeves-Maybe out of Tennessee. He's a little undersized and missed his senior year with a shoulder injury, but racked up great numbers in his sophomore and junior years (101 tackles, 11 for loss, two sacks as a sophomore, 105 tackles, 14 for loss, six sacks, four pass breakups as a junior). He'd probably be a 3rd round pick without the injury, so he's definitely worth the risk for me in the later rounds as a developmental guy.

See, I think you already found Kwiatkoski. You have two starters at ILB that just signed multi-year contracts, Kwiatkoski, and Timu/Anderson (who were OK when they were in there), plus Christian Jones and play inside in a pinch. Is a late round pick going to be a real upgrade from Timu? I tend to doubt it. I think you need to find a Kwiatkoski type at OLB. Floyd is obviously a long term-starter, but Houston and Young are nearing the end of their deals and are prime cut/trade candidates. Acho is mostly a special teamer and Robertson-Harris sounds like he's transitioning to DE, so there's no young talent at OLB except Floyd. I'd like to see a well-rounded tackling machine/unheralded guy in the 5th or 7th (we don't have a 6th round pick) to develop at OLB. Maybe Blair Brown can be that guy. My "guy" is Jalen Reeves-Maybe out of Tennessee. He's a little undersized and missed his senior year with a shoulder injury, but racked up great numbers in his sophomore and junior years (101 tackles, 11 for loss, two sacks as a sophomore, 105 tackles, 14 for loss, six sacks, four pass breakups as a junior). He'd probably be a 3rd round pick without the injury, so he's definitely worth the risk for me in the later rounds as a developmental guy.

I wouldn't mind Blair Brown with a late round pick. Timu/Anderson are on non guaranteed contracts and they don't have much upside. Jones is guaranteed and he is a little more flexible in were he can play, so keeping him around one more year is fine.

I've seen rumors about LB being a secondary priority for the Chicago Bears recently, and I think it's borderline crazy. Way too many other needs.

They should look for:

-ILB

-Tackling machine

Last year I was all aboard the Kwiatkoski express, and this year I am starting to really like another guy of the same mold. Ladies and Gents, I present to you:

Blair Brown, LB, Ohio

I see a player who willingly engages blockers and sheds them, a LB who runs through offensive linemen regularly, diagnoses the play with lightning speed, and absolutely destroys screens like he was in the offensive huddle.

He had 128 tackles and 4.5 sacks last year, and right now he's flying way under the radar. He's the 27th ranked OLB on Walter's rankings, and that's fine with me. I think he really an ILB. And for those of you who are PFF fans, he's apparently the second rated run defense LB in the nation, behind Reuben Foster.

What a coincidence, the Bears have multiple 4th round draft picks this year. I wouldn't mind seeing Brown picked up with the second of those picks. If he's there in the 6th, that's a no-brainer.

If this guy is second rated to Foster, I'm in. I personally wouldn't mind if they chose Foster at three or whatever 1st round position they end up at. Suspect Trevathan is done or won't be a factor anymore.

As far as OLB; I've always been a fan of Jones' and if memory serves he was a pretty successful OLB at Florida State...in a 3-4 no less. Perhaps Fangio sees potential in him now that he's seen him play the last two years? Maybe why his contract was renewed like it was? Draft will help us figure that one out a little better.

If the Bears do need a guy, however, because they're worried about Trevathan's injury, I think they need to find the next Kwiatkoski.

They should look for:

-ILB

-Tackling machine

Blair Brown, LB, Ohio

Watch this highlight and tell me you don't love him.

There is no rumors we are going to need a ILB that is just people that dont know what there talking about pretending to know what there talking about.

Other than OG,OC ILB is the least of our worries.

We have 7 picks, in those picks there will be a QB, 1 DL-1 S-1 CB-1-TE-1 WR and hopefully a OT or K but no where a ILB.

If this guy is second rated to Foster, I'm in. I personally wouldn't mind if they chose Foster at three or whatever 1st round position they end up at. Suspect Trevathan is done or won't be a factor anymore.

As far as OLB; I've always been a fan of Jones' and if memory serves he was a pretty successful OLB at Florida State...in a 3-4 no less. Perhaps Fangio sees potential in him now that he's seen him play the last two years? Maybe why his contract was renewed like it was? Draft will help us figure that one out a little better.

I'd throw up if they picked Foster. ILB is about the tenth most position of need, and there are similarly rated players at positions of greater need.

There is no rumors we are going to need a ILB that is just people that dont know what there talking about pretending to know what there talking about.

Other than OG,OC ILB is the least of our worries.

We have 7 picks, in those picks there will be a QB, 1 DL-1 S-1 CB-1-TE-1 WR and hopefully a OT or K but no where a ILB.

I agree, but you'd be surprised at what people think. Even in this thread Alaska said he wouldn't mind an OLB. When the Bears met with Foster, it became a thought process some came up with considering Trevathan's injury and Chicago's constant search for the next great MLB.

I agree, but you'd be surprised at what people think. Even in this thread Alaska said he wouldn't mind an OLB. When the Bears met with Foster, it became a thought process some came up with considering Trevathan's injury and Chicago's constant search for the next great MLB.

Not sure what that exactly means but I will reiterate this; how many here picked Floyd as the 1st pick last year? Or even Kevin White the year before that? I didn't endorse picking an OLB (in this thread) unless you thought I did by saying I like Foster. I did say I would like to see Christian Jones play better at OLB, or at least how well he could be if given the chance. I don't agree that any position is absolutley off the table; save maybe Guard, RB, Punter or Kicker.

Not sure what that exactly means but I will reiterate this; how many here picked Floyd as the 1st pick last year? Or even Kevin White the year before that? I didn't endorse picking an OLB (in this thread) unless you thought I did by saying I like Foster. I did say I would like to see Christian Jones play better at OLB, or at least how well he could be if given the chance. I don't agree that any position is absolutley off the table; save maybe Guard, RB, Punter or Kicker.

Kicker is off the table?

Probably/maybe not. Maybe there's another Robeto Arguyo (or Sebastian Janikowski) waiting to be discovered.

we wont be drafting a ILB, unless Foster slips to the 4th and we just say freak and draft him. OLB may be drafted but that is an edge rusher type in this defense.

Probably/maybe not. Maybe there's another Robeto Arguyo (or Sebastian Janikowski) waiting to be discovered.

I just don't think Barth is the long term answer. Gonzalez or Elliott are the only two I would consider, and it would be in the 7th.

On the main topic, I don't see us going ILB earlier than the 2nd 4th round pick. So if Brown is that guy, go for it.

I just don't think Barth is the long term answer. Gonzalez or Elliott are the only two I would consider, and it would be in the 7th.

On the main topic, I don't see us going ILB earlier than the 2nd 4th round pick. So if Brown is that guy, go for it.

The problem with taking a ILB on any picks, we have to many other holes to fill.

OT could use an upgrade there

WR add another playmaker with Jeffery gone

TE in a run first offense, a great TE would be huge

QB , yes but not high

OLB we can always use pass rushers

DL could use one more stud there

S and CB are no brainers.

So that is 8 positions we could upgrade with only 7 picks.

I think if you go back, you'll find that several people mentioned Floyd last year and White the year before.

I honestly thought you were saying you'd like the Bears to pick Foster. I mean, you said, "I personally wouldn't mind if they chose Foster at three or whatever 1st round position they end up at."

I honestly thought you were saying you'd like the Bears to pick Foster. I mean, you said, "I personally wouldn't mind if they chose Foster at three or whatever 1st round position they end up at."

I did say I'm good with them picking Foster, but not as an OLB.

My question to you was about this remark: "I agree, but you'd be surprised at what people think. Even in this thread Alaska said he wouldn't mind an OLB." As it was an inference to Stinger's comment that people who mention Foster (or any other ILB) "...don't know what they're talking about".

I did say I'm good with them picking Foster, but not as an OLB.

My question to you was about this remark: "I agree, but you'd be surprised at what people think. Even in this thread Alaska said he wouldn't mind an OLB." As it was an inference to Stinger's comment that people who mention Foster (or any other ILB) "...don't know what they're talking about".

My bad. That was just a mistake. I still would hate it as ILB.

My bad. That was just a mistake. I still would hate it as ILB.

I looked into your claim of many talking about Floyd as an option last year. As much as it pains me to admit, you suggested that he could be. Not many others agreed with that thought but nevertheless whether it be intuition, crystal ball, tarot cards or just luck, you predicted correctly.

At any rate we'll see how this all shakes out in a little over a week. And as someone else pointed out this has been a difficult one to call. Could just about be anyone at this point in the first round.