Jaye Howard

scs787

Patrick Finley‏Verified account @patrickfinley 19m19 minutes ago DL Jaye Howard got offer from #Bears but left Halas Hall without deal, per source. Door's not closed, though. He passed team's physical FWIW

Hopefully he just wants to "Shop around" a little bit more. Would love to add a healthy Jaye Howard to the defensive line. He could be this years Josh Sitton, a really good vet the Bears pick up after the draft.

I'd imagine he's looking to jumping on a contender. We aren't that.

Yet...

Patrick Finley‏Verified account @patrickfinley 19m19 minutes ago DL Jaye Howard got offer from #Bears but left Halas Hall without deal, per source. Door's not closed, though. He passed team's physical FWIW

Hopefully he just wants to "Shop around" a little bit more. Would love to add a healthy Jaye Howard to the defensive line. He could be this years Josh Sitton, a really good vet the Bears pick up after the draft.

I'd imagine he's looking to jumping on a contender. We aren't that.

Yet...

He's not old so I kinda doubt that. If I'm him I'm taking a short term deal with a team he can start on. Build his value back up then look for a big deal

Patrick Finley‏Verified account @patrickfinley 19m19 minutes ago DL Jaye Howard got offer from #Bears but left Halas Hall without deal, per source. Door's not closed, though. He passed team's physical FWIW Hopefully he just wants to "Shop around" a little bit more. Would love to add a healthy Jaye Howard to the defensive line. He could be this years Josh Sitton, a really good vet the Bears pick up after the draft.

Pace won't over spend, so I imagine he might have bigger thoughts at the moment. Hopefully he comes back

How good is he and what was his injury? I know he was a relatively big name last year and he would seem to fit a need? Does he have room in the tank to be a long term piece?

He's a really solid player from all I've read. Last year before he suffered a hip injury, PFF gave him the 2nd highest grade against the run for a 3-4 DE. Had 5.5 sacks the year before.

He turns 29 this year so maybe he isn't a LONG term piece, but he could be a piece for a year or 2. I'm not convinced that this is some horrible team that isn't going to try and win this year so I think he's worth a shot.

He's a really solid player from all I've read. Last year before he suffered a hip injury, PFF gave him the 2nd highest grade against the run for a 3-4 DE. Had 5.5 sacks the year before.

He turns 29 this year so maybe he isn't a LONG term piece, but he could be a piece for a year or 2. I'm not convinced that this is some horrible team that isn't going to try and win this year so I think he's worth a shot.

I just read that he signed a 1 year deal, but can't find it now.

Yep, just saw it now too. Really solid pickup!

Front 7 could be really good if they actually stay healthy.

Bullard is still the guy to look at for improvement but now the pressure is off , a solid player.

Hicks-Goldman-Howard with Bullard-Jenkins-Unrien-Coward in the wings.

McPee-Tevathan-Freeman-Floyd with Kwiat-Young-Houston(surprised he hasnt been released yet) and another name to look at is Roberson-Harris.

With all the complaining about our draft, we look better on paper this year.

... as seen on that Twitter feed:

Can the Bears defensive front be referred to as HGH (Howard/Goldman/Hicks)?

Anyway, I like this signing. It is hard to say how he failed KC's physical but passed ours two weeks later. That concern will stay with me until we see him in the preseason.

I don't care about the signing of Jaye Howard much. If he were great, he wouldn't have been available. With any luck, however, he'll get back to pre-injury conditions and turn out as a steal. But I do care about the upgrade of 3-4DE.

The biggest aspect of this signing is that Mitch Unrein is off the field. Upgrading the 3-4DE spot was essentially, and I'm still baffled the Bears didn't draft one. Unrein may have been the worst guy on defense last year. So, congrats to Jaye Howard, but any name better than Unrein would have made me happy.