Cutler Back in the NFL

DABEARSDABOMB

Should be interesting to see how Jay does in Miami. I was looking forward to Thursday's broadcast. Will be interesting to see how "in it" Jay is. By all accounts he was very much enjoying retirement and spending time with his family. Presume the Miami situation was about the only situation which would have coaxed him out of retirement (since he can work with Gase again).

Should be interesting to see how Jay does in Miami. I was looking forward to Thursday's broadcast. Will be interesting to see how "in it" Jay is. By all accounts he was very much enjoying retirement and spending time with his family. Presume the Miami situation was about the only situation which would have coaxed him out of retirement (since he can work with Gase again).

I think your right about that being the only spot he'd come back to. It's funny listening to Miami fans. Half think they are getting the Messiah all because gase got Cutler to work pretty well in his system. And the other half well let's just say they are questioning there membership as a dolphins fan. Lol. I've got 1 friend that thinks he's the Messiah. I've been trying to warn him about what they are realistically getting in Cutler.

All I know is that in fantasy, the New England D just got bumped in power ranking! 2 games a year, multiple turnovers!

I think your right about that being the only spot he'd come back to. It's funny listening to Miami fans. Half think they are getting the Messiah all because gase got Cutler to work pretty well in his system. And the other half well let's just say they are questioning there membership as a dolphins fan. Lol. I've got 1 friend that thinks he's the Messiah. I've been trying to warn him about what they are realistically getting in Cutler.

I don't think net results with Cutler running their offense will be that much different from Tannehill, although their style of play is different. There will be some more turnovers but there will also be more big plays. Reality is Miami still has the 2nd best QB in their division and they have a better QB than the Houston Texans. That's not a bad place to end up after losing your starter a week into training camp.

Concern with Cutler isn't all with his turnovers. He has trouble staying healthy.

I don't think net results with Cutler running their offense will be that much different from Tannehill, although their style of play is different. There will be some more turnovers but there will also be more big plays. Reality is Miami still has the 2nd best QB in their division and they have a better QB than the Houston Texans. That's not a bad place to end up after losing your starter a week into training camp.

Concern with Cutler isn't all with his turnovers. He has trouble staying healthy.

To add to the health part, I think I heard Tannehill was the 2nd most sacked QB over the past couple years.

#1 (2013-2014) Jeffery, Marshall, Forte, and Bennett vs #2 (2017) Landry, Parker, Ajayi, and Thomas, who you got? I don't think it is even close. Cutler was 10-16 between 2013-14 with those skill position players.

One of those years (I think it was 2013), the defense was a steamling pile of turd (if it weren't for that, we'd have been pretty good). By 2014, the Trestman wagon had completely fallen apart. Bears did have some really talented offensive personal with Trestman though (and as much as I rip Emery, I will give him credit for that).

One of those years (I think it was 2013), the defense was a steamling pile of turd (if it weren't for that, we'd have been pretty good). By 2014, the Trestman wagon had completely fallen apart. Bears did have some really talented offensive personal with Trestman though (and as much as I rip Emery, I will give him credit for that).

Ok fine, defense was horrible, but look at Cutler's numbers vs McCown's numbers in 2013; they are a really good comparison with basically the same team. Also, the year we hosted the NFCC, we had one of the best defenses in the league, so he has had the full gamut of teams.

2013:

Cutler 19 TD, 12 INT, 7.4 Y/A

McCown 13 TD, 1 INT, 8.2 Y/A

The TD/INT says it all, and per attempt, McCown was better. Then you can fast forward to 2016 and Hoyer does the same thing, Cutler 4/5 and Hoyer 6/0.

What I find interesting is how most of the national media (who hated Cutler) (and didn't like him on the Bears), loves him and finds him a perfect fit in Miami (some say better than Tannehill). Have you looked at their Offensive Line? It is hard to say it is better than ours from last year and he was sacked 17 times in his couple of games.

I just feel like he is going to start our great with an easy schedule (TB, LAC, NYJ, NO) and potentially start 4-0, then lose 5 out of their next 6 and at some point he gets hurt. They go into the bye 5-5 and would be lucky to finish at 7-9 with 2x against NE, BUF, one against KC and DEN.

I hope he works out and plays decent, but it would be tough to see him light it up after never living up to expectations here.

Ok fine, defense was horrible, but look at Cutler's numbers vs McCown's numbers in 2013; they are a really good comparison with basically the same team. Also, the year we hosted the NFCC, we had one of the best defenses in the league, so he has had the full gamut of teams.

2013:

Cutler 19 TD, 12 INT, 7.4 Y/A

McCown 13 TD, 1 INT, 8.2 Y/A

The TD/INT says it all, and per attempt, McCown was better. Then you can fast forward to 2016 and Hoyer does the same thing, Cutler 4/5 and Hoyer 6/0.

What I find interesting is how most of the national media (who hated Cutler) (and didn't like him on the Bears), loves him and finds him a perfect fit in Miami (some say better than Tannehill). Have you looked at their Offensive Line? It is hard to say it is better than ours from last year and he was sacked 17 times in his couple of games.

I just feel like he is going to start our great with an easy schedule (TB, LAC, NYJ, NO) and potentially start 4-0, then lose 5 out of their next 6 and at some point he gets hurt. They go into the bye 5-5 and would be lucky to finish at 7-9 with 2x against NE, BUF, one against KC and DEN.

I hope he works out and plays decent, but it would be tough to see him light it up after never living up to expectations here.

I think there offensive line all comes down to the health of 1 guy. Pouncey. And unfortunately that's a huge question mark for them. Even then cutler might still be seeing ghost's in the back field considering how much we got him destroyed when he first joined us

I think there offensive line all comes down to the health of 1 guy. Pouncey. And unfortunately that's a huge question mark for them. Even then cutler might still be seeing ghost's in the back field considering how much we got him destroyed when he first joined us

Miami's O-Line ranked in the mid-20's, which spells doom for Cutler. He doesn't do well against pressure.

It'll be interesting to see. Fantasy implications could mean those who stream defenses could see an uptick in starting whatever D is playing Miami that week. Does make one wonder about the fantasy implications of Miami's skill positions. I don't think it effects Ajayi much but could effect Landry, Parker, and Stills. It could hurt their value. But also could be a wash. Gase likes a run heavy offense and asks his QB's to be more game managers than play makers. The argument could be made that Gase's offense protected Jay from Jay. It suits Tannenhill fine because he's not that great. Jay has the talent and arm to be great but it's the brain farts that get in the way.

Did read that Jay made the comment albeit likely jokingly about a QB not needing to be in great cardio shape to play. I am glad his ups and downs are no longer our concern.

Miami's O-Line ranked in the mid-20's, which spells doom for Cutler. He doesn't do well against pressure.

Now you're talking about the real issue.

Cutler's skill players haven't been the issue. His OL has been the issue. Once he started taking a ton of hits, he became gun shy.

They will need to protect him to succeed.

I agree. I hope he kills it, and shuts everyone up.

I agree totally. I was always on his side and still think that there was minimal effort to put things in place to help him reach his potential. Good luck Jay.

I agree totally. I was always on his side and still think that there was minimal effort to put things in place to help him reach his potential. Good luck Jay.

I wouldn't say that completely, Marshall, Jeffery, Bennett, and Forte were potentially one of the top 5 skill position groups in the NFL. I am still a fan of Cutler's and hope he does well and ends his career on a high note.

The organizational turnover killed any chance at consistency. They should've hired Gase as the HC instead of Fox. The Bears went into a tailspin after letting Angelo and Lovie go. Cutler then went thru the abortion of Emery/Trestman, and then the Pace/Fox team. So he survived 3 different staffs and even more Offensive Coordinators.

I am just amazed at how the media is reacting to his return. The same haters, who ragged on him constantly when he was on the Bears are now praising him. So it seems that the national media has a bias against Chicago in general, especially the Bears. We win a trade by moving up to grab Trubisky (we had a better return in the trade value chart), HOU, and KC give away 2x first rounders to move up, but we overpaid?

Wow, all Miami QB's looked like crap. Cutler had 2 decent throws, but looked exactly the same. Never seems comfortable in the pocket, throwing off back foot, and threw one into double coverage. He went 3-6 for 24 yards. I didn't know Miami has Fales on the roster. He looked bad and so did Matt Moore. Senorise Perry is on Miami as well, scored a TD and looked good on special teams.

Miami, in general, looked terrible.

Tyrod Taylor was horrible for BUF.

Cutler Game #2, did look better, but first couple of drives were pretty bad, lost a fumble on a sack, and almost threw a pick. He seems to be about the same as always, boom or bust.

5-8, 105 yds, 1 TD, 0 INT, 1 Sack, 1 FL

72 yard pass play, 2 dropped INTs, 1x 65yd DPI call, 1 sack-fumble

So 2 huge chunk plays, 2 horrible throws, and barely touched on the sack fumble. Miami is going to love his big play ability but hate the mistakes. Sound familiar?