Notes From Training Camp

DABEARSDABOMB

You sound like an informercial with over-exaggerated hyperbole! We did not give up the entire draft... We might have given up more than many wanted to give up...but it wasn't the entire draft. Like Ditka or the Vikings w/ Walker.

Your point is still made well made w/o going over-board.

I believe he was saying, based on the other teams that had a QB need, none had the ammo to move up to #2 without giving their entire draft. We really were the only team and sort of bet against ourselves.

Now at the end of the day, we didn't give up too much to move up one slot (and actually won the trade based on the draft value chart), but we probably could've gotten Trubisky at #3 without the need to give up picks.

Based on that comment I'll put you in the column that you want cutler back and Glennon and trubisky are garbage

Let me try this one. Glennon and Trubisky are both relative unknowns, and we knew what we had in Cutler. Glennon is making more than Cutler this year and is not "better" than Cutler. Trubisky has the potential to be the best of all 3 of them, but we can't make that assessment today. As of today, Cutler is probably the best of the 3. However, I am ok with the route Pace took. He cut ties with Cutler, which had to be done, and brought in Glennon as a bridge and potentially insurance in the event that Trubisky does not pan out or needs more time.

I think most people were upset with how the draft played out, and where the players were selected, not necessarily the names themselves.

Absolutely nobody can convince me the move up to get Trubisky was a good one. SF wasn't taking him, and no team had the realistic chips to move up to #2 to get him. Every team that was rumored to be involved in a QB trade either stood still because the price was too steep, or sacrificed about as much as they could to get where they got. Moving to #2 was nearly impossible without giving up the entire draft ala-Ditka. Chicago could have stayed at #3 and grabbed their guy, or traded down if someone offered them a deal too good to pass up.

I agree with hindsight that looks like a dumb move but picture yourself sitting there wanting to draft Tribisky and KC just called to try to get your pick and you know they are QB hunting. So do you take the risk of losing your potential franchise QB or what is effect a 3 rd round pick for that right to get who you want. They traded down and got some picks back. QBs in Chicago have not been good since going back to McMahon. The one shot at fixing it , so you take that risk. I dont agree with it but understand why he did it. In 3 years when Tribusky is a top 12 QB, Shaheen is little Gronk, Jackson is a high end safety, Morgan is starting since Sitton will be gone, and Cohen is a version of Tyrek Hill. We will not remember our opinion.

My apologies jason! I totally mis-read what you said then.

Thank you for clarifying that for me Adam.

I believe he was saying, based on the other teams that had a QB need, none had the ammo to move up to #2 without giving their entire draft. We really were the only team and sort of bet against ourselves.

Now at the end of the day, we didn't give up too much to move up one slot (and actually won the trade based on the draft value chart), but we probably could've gotten Trubisky at #3 without the need to give up picks.