Notes From Training Camp

DABEARSDABOMB

Thought it would be nice to have a general thread with various notes from training camp.

Andrew Link‏ @BearsLink82 4m4 minutes ago

Glennon to Miller with Trevathan, yes Trevathan, in coverage. Would've blown him up if live

Great to see Trevathan getting practice in (given how rough of an injury he is working back from.

Robert Zeglinski‏ @RobertZeglinski 5m5 minutes ago

Jonathan Bullard has been utterly unblockable today. Incredibly disruptive as a rusher and two-gap run defender.

He has been doing good all of camp and has apparently been dominanting today during practice. Great to see, since he really had a quiet first year (but has lots of athleticism). Would be awesome if he emerged in year 2.

Robert Zeglinski‏ @RobertZeglinski 2m2 minutes ago

Eddie Jackson lays out Meredith deep over the middle - still makes the catch.

Chris Emma‏Verified account @CEmma670 38s39 seconds ago

Eddie Jackson has flashed all throughout camp. Good early developments for the rookie safety.

Great to see. Would be nice to have a ballhawk safety for the first time in forever.

Great to see. Would be nice to have a ballhawk safety for the first time in forever.

Yeah I heard today he also covered a lot of ground to deflect a pass. Only criticism I've heard regarding him in camp is he's not picking them off. But after last yr I'll settle for a guy who can at least deflect passes and not get burned every play

Yeah I heard today he also covered a lot of ground to deflect a pass. Only criticism I've heard regarding him in camp is he's not picking them off. But after last yr I'll settle for a guy who can at least deflect passes and not get burned every play

His weakness in college (outside of staying healthy) was his ability to tackle, so it will be interesting to see how he plays with pads. If he's healthy though, I think we have a player (but health is a big if, guy really had a hard time staying on the field and has had a couple serious leg injuries).

The player who has really improved is Leonard Floyd. He's reportedly been un-blockable most plays and is doing a great job setting up and executing his moves so it's not pure athleticism getting him to the QB.

Yep. Reportedly he put on 15 pounds of muscle while retaining the same speed. It is key, because Floyd is literally the only player on our D capable of being a game-changer (imo).

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/footb...#nt=oft02a-1li3

Trib has some good articles on practice. If you don't have access, just take that link and copy/paste it into google and then click on the link and you can read for free. These articles are usually a pretty good summary of some key themes of each days practice.

A couple key notes from the article:

- Trubisky wasn't as accurate as usual today

- Gentry continues to impress as wide-out (will be interesting to see if that holds up in game action..since last year Braverman was the guy lighting things up until the games started)

- Fuller ended up practicing (despite being sore) and was torched on a route (still I view the fact that he was practicing through injury a plus)

One thing I did find odd...I didn't see any mention of Kevin White today, so I must presume he had a day off?

Gentry continues his practice dominantion

Chris Emma‏Verified account @CEmma670 6s7 seconds ago

Mitchell Trubisky with a long touchdown connection to undrafted rookie Tanner Gentry, who continues to flash in camp.

Jacob Infante‏ @jacobinfante24 2m2 minutes ago

WOAH. Trubisky with a deep ball caught by Tanner Gentry over two defenders! His phenomenal camp continues. #Bears

Zach Zaidman‏Verified account @ZachZaidman 38s38 seconds ago

Tanner Gentry just made the catch of the day, going left to right to make a diving snag in the end zone of a Mitchell Trubisky fastball.

Bob LeGere‏ @BobLeGere 3m3 minutes ago

WR Tanner Gentry hauls in deep sideline route in endzone from QB Mitch Trubisky, as S DeAndre Houston-Carson whiffs on INT

Jeff Dickerson‏Verified account @DickersonESPN 3m3 minutes ago

Really strong camp for undrafted rookie WR Tanner Gentry. He just continues to make plays every practice.

Adam Hoge‏Verified account @AdamHoge 1m1 minute ago

Gentry with another highlight TD catch on a bomb from Sanchez. Kid keeps making plays. #Bears

Zach Zaidman‏Verified account @ZachZaidman 1m1 minute ago

Another highlight grab for Tanner Gentry. Touchdown #Bears.

Robert Zeglinski‏ @RobertZeglinski 1m1 minute ago

Sanchez throws up a prayer and Gentry comes down with the ball one-handed for a TD. Kyle Fuller has not liked covering him.

Robert Zeglinski‏ @RobertZeglinski 1m1 minute ago

I know some would like to compare Gentry to a certain camp phenom from last year but that just isn't comparable: this dude belongs.

Zach Zaidman‏Verified account @ZachZaidman 5m5 minutes ago

Another TD catch for Tanner Gentry. That's three today.

Adam Jahns‏Verified account @adamjahns 1m1 minute ago

Undrafted rookie WR Tanner Gentry has caught three TDs in various team drills from #Bears No. 2 QB Mark Sanchez and Mitch Trubisky today.

I heard that trubisky is very good at it however Glennon isn't to bad at himself

This draft will go down as one of the best draft ever for the Bears.

First and foremost we will eventually have our franchise QB.

Shaheen and Cohen will make day one contributions and end up being on the all rookie team

Jackson will start early and be our playmaker in the DBfield.

Gentry will make the team and end up being one of our top 3 WRs going forward.

Morgan will come along slower but will be a starter once Sitton is let go.

Many reasons to be optimistic, with all the negativity going on with our draft this year, everybody will look back to this year and say (OMG)

Shaheen and Cohen will make day one contributions and end up being on the all rookie team

Many reasons to be optimistic, with all the negativity going on with our draft this year, everybody will look back to this year and say (OMG)

Right now it is looking like a pretty good draft class. One thing about Pace is that he's bringing in good talent among the UDFAs. I don't think we've had this many UDFAs over a 3 year period contribute or show this much potential early. Meredith is at the top of the list, Callahan, Timu, Braunecker, HJQ, RRH looks like he could eventually contribute at DE even if he only makes the practice squad this year as he transitions to a new position, and Gentry has turned heads all throughout camp. Expand out to UDFA finds from other teams and we've added LeBlanc, and Brown. I think Brown is in position to take Miller's spot on the roster.

That's not to say these players are stars but they are good depth on the roster, or potentially so in the case of Gentry and

RRH. It's no longer UDFAs hanging around because of the lack of talent on the roster.

I think most people were upset with how the draft played out, and where the players were selected, not necessarily the names themselves.

Absolutely nobody can convince me the move up to get Trubisky was a good one. SF wasn't taking him, and no team had the realistic chips to move up to #2 to get him. Every team that was rumored to be involved in a QB trade either stood still because the price was too steep, or sacrificed about as much as they could to get where they got. Moving to #2 was nearly impossible without giving up the entire draft ala-Ditka. Chicago could have stayed at #3 and grabbed their guy, or traded down if someone offered them a deal too good to pass up.

I can't wait to see what this kid can do. I see ppl saying how much of a great deep ball guy the kid is and combining that with Glennon and Tru who are light yrs better than Cutler ever was at could cause real trouble for a defense

WHAT? That's just plain ridiculous. Neither Glennon or Trubisky are light years better at absolutely anything related to being a quarterback than Cutler. If anything, Trubisky has a slight edge in accuracy throwing through tires, and Glennon has an advantage in neck length.

Robert Zeglinski‏ @RobertZeglinski 5m5 minutes ago

Jonathan Bullard has been utterly unblockable today. Incredibly disruptive as a rusher and two-gap run defender.

The player who has really improved is Leonard Floyd. He's reportedly been un-blockable most plays and is doing a great job setting up and executing his moves so it's not pure athleticism getting him to the QB.

Does anyone else think this is likely happening because the Bears have one of the worst tackle tandems in the NFL?

I think most people were upset with how the draft played out, and where the players were selected, not necessarily the names themselves.

Absolutely nobody can convince me the move up to get Trubisky was a good one. SF wasn't taking him, and no team had the realistic chips to move up to #2 to get him. Every team that was rumored to be involved in a QB trade either stood still because the price was too steep, or sacrificed about as much as they could to get where they got. Moving to #2 was nearly impossible without giving up the entire draft ala-Ditka. Chicago could have stayed at #3 and grabbed their guy, or traded down if someone offered them a deal too good to pass up.

I agree most of us were not thrilled with the draft at the time because it didn't go the way we'd thought it should go. It's why it got such bad press because it didn't go the way the "experts" thought it should. The trade thing is something we may never find out the truth about what phone conversations were made etc. We very well could have stayed at 3 and gotten Mitch, but Pace and the entire draft team had strong conviction on Trubisky made the move to ensure we got him. I know it would have taken a lot for some of the other teams but we've seen crazier things happen on draft night. At the end of the day if Trubisky turns out to be a stud, and the majority our draft class turns out good to great, no one will care how or why we drafted who. Time will tell. There's reason to be optimistic though.

How awesome would it be if Trubisky turned out to be a stud for a decade or more. What would make that sweeter would be to see Aaron Rodgers retire and the packers struggle for the next 2 decades to find a competent QB. He has practically carried that team and their sub par D. Take him away and they are average at best. I for one am ready for the tide to turn and let their arrogant fan base suffer as we have.

Does anyone else think this is likely happening because the Bears have one of the worst tackle tandems in the NFL?

No, because this man said it:

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/article-1...19-0b7755a274c0

"he'll be a damn good player."

I enjoy reading everyone's opinion here and I respect them, including yours, but I really respect Fangio's opinions. If says that about Floyd then he's seeing not just physical talent but maturation in the technical skills and understanding of the defense and what the offense is trying to do. In fact, I'm not even sure I've ever heard Fangio compliment any Bears defender beyond "he's doing good".

I think Bullard has been able to take advantage of Long's absence and then Kush's absence to abuse some backups. However, if he were to be playing at a starter level wouldn't you expect him to play well against backup Oline players? He certainly wasn't doing that last year in camp so that, combined with Fangio's comments that Bullard has improved, make me think he has improved quite a bit. How much we won't know until we see him in the regular season. I'm not expecting Jason Smith I just need him to be better than Unrein. Admittedly that's a not the highest bar but it does mean we've improved. If he can achieve that before game 1 then I think it's reasonable to assume that after another full season he'll be even better.

WHAT? That's just plain ridiculous. Neither Glennon or Trubisky are light years better at absolutely anything related to being a quarterback than Cutler. If anything, Trubisky has a slight edge in accuracy throwing through tires, and Glennon has an advantage in neck length.

Based on that comment I'll put you in the column that you want cutler back and Glennon and trubisky are garbage

You sound like an informercial with over-exaggerated hyperbole! We did not give up the entire draft... We might have given up more than many wanted to give up...but it wasn't the entire draft. Like Ditka or the Vikings w/ Walker.

Your point is still made well made w/o going over-board.

Moving to #2 was nearly impossible without giving up the entire draft ala-Ditka.