Why did we pay Dion Sims?

adam

After two games, I am trying to figure out what the role of Sims is and why we paid so much for him. He has 2 receptions (the same as White on IR and Gentry who was released), and none vs TB (though one INT was targeting him).

I thought he would have an expanded role with how much they paid him, but after two games, that doesn't seem the case. If he is just a blocking TE, we overpaid severely. He is on pace for 16 receptions and 176 yards for the year ($333k per reception).

After two games, I am trying to figure out what the role of Sims is and why we paid so much for him. He has 2 receptions (the same as White on IR and Gentry who was released), and none vs TB (though one INT was targeting him).

I thought he would have an expanded role with how much they paid him, but after two games, that doesn't seem the case. If he is just a blocking TE, we overpaid severely. He is on pace for 16 receptions and 176 yards for the year ($333k per reception).

well blame that on the QB and OC for not getting him into the game plan

Or Travathan? Or Freeman? Or McPhee? Nakamura? Demps? Glennon? All these FA's are walking wounded or not so good...

Maybe Pace doesn't know how to judge FA's? Maybe, we just lucked into Tru? Given all the bad karma, you'd figure we'd get it right once by pure luck...

I am now doubting Pace. It's been 3 years, and there isn't much reason for fans to attend the games... Yet. I need some freaking results already.

Or Travathan? Or Freeman? Or McPhee? Nakamura? Demps? Glennon? All these FA's are walking wounded or not so good...

Maybe Pace doesn't know how to judge FA's? Maybe, we just lucked into Tru? Given all the bad karma, you'd figure we'd get it right once by pure luck...

I am now doubting Pace. It's been 3 years, and there isn't much reason for fans to attend the games... Yet. I need some freaking results already.

With the lack of WR's, you would think that Sims would've been targeted more than what he has to this point. He is getting paid as a #1 TE, not a blocking TE. Also, we signed him and could've had Terrelle Pryor for a comparable deal. With the other TEs on the roster at the time of the signing, this one is still confusing. Were the Bears masking the early drafting of Shaheen by signing Sims to such a large deal?

Other team in the league: "Man, there is no way the Bears are drafting a QB in the 1st after paying Glennon that type of money"

Another team "Yeah, and with the signing of Sims, there is no way they are going TE early in the draft"

So was Pace overpaying to mask his intentions? What else could it be?

I know Shaheen is still "raw" but 0 targets? Brown - 0 targets. Miller has been targeted 15 times, Sims - 4? So Miller has almost 4 times the amount of targets than Sims/Shaheen/Brown, yet we spent a 2nd on Shaheen and a lot of money on Sims.

Something just doesn't feel right.

With the lack of WR's, you would think that Sims would've been targeted more than what he has to this point. He is getting paid as a #1 TE, not a blocking TE. Also, we signed him and could've had Terrelle Pryor for a comparable deal. With the other TEs on the roster at the time of the signing, this one is still confusing. Were the Bears masking the early drafting of Shaheen by signing Sims to such a large deal?

Other team in the league: "Man, there is no way the Bears are drafting a QB in the 1st after paying Glennon that type of money"

Another team "Yeah, and with the signing of Sims, there is no way they are going TE early in the draft"

So was Pace overpaying to mask his intentions? What else could it be?

I know Shaheen is still "raw" but 0 targets? Brown - 0 targets. Miller has been targeted 15 times, Sims - 4? So Miller has almost 4 times the amount of targets than Sims/Shaheen/Brown, yet we spent a 2nd on Shaheen and a lot of money on Sims.

Something just doesn't feel right.

BINGO!

That's the entire offseason by Pace. Misdirection. He was willing to toss away money for two guys who would likely do average at best, because he had no intention of making them long term parts of the Bears' future. It's a calculated plan for sure. It's the only thing that makes sense, and why I hated how he has handled the offseason.

If all of it works out, and the combo of Trubisky and Shaheen dominate for a decade, then he'll look like a genius. I mean, if you KNOW something like that, then why not hide it? The problem, of course, is that he doesn't know 100%, and it's a big risk, particularly for a team that could have used that money elsewhere to lure a better FA.

Wait and see...it all hinges on Trubisky in the future.

BINGO!

That's the entire offseason by Pace. Misdirection. He was willing to toss away money for two guys who would likely do average at best, because he had no intention of making them long term parts of the Bears' future. It's a calculated plan for sure. It's the only thing that makes sense, and why I hated how he has handled the offseason.

If all of it works out, and the combo of Trubisky and Shaheen dominate for a decade, then he'll look like a genius. I mean, if you KNOW something like that, then why not hide it? The problem, of course, is that he doesn't know 100%, and it's a big risk, particularly for a team that could have used that money elsewhere to lure a better FA.

Wait and see...it all hinges on Trubisky in the future.

Exactly. Also, Sims' dead money for next year, only $666,667. Basically a one-year deal.

In an interesting comparison, Demps' dead money for 2018: $666,667. Did Demps' 3yr deal make Jackson available to us? I wouldn't go that far, but for our 1st and 2nd round picks, it looks like Pace used our salary cap flexibility this year to mask his intentions. Now let's hope it works, otherwise, he will look like Lloyd Christmas.