Jimmy G....paid

madlithuanian

49ers, Jimmy Garoppolo agree to five-year deal

Posted by Michael David Smith on February 8, 2018, 1:36 PM EST

Getty Images

The 49ers have their franchise quarterback locked up for years to come.

Jimmy Garoppolo has agreed to a five-year deal with the 49ers, according to multiple reports.

The full numbers aren’t out yet, but Mike Garafolo of NFL Network reports that the total value is $137.5 million, which would make it just a bit better than the five-year, $135 million deal Matthew Stafford got from the Lions last year. At $27.5 million a year it’s the biggest per-year average on a long-term contract in NFL history, although there’s no word on how much of that money is guaranteed.

The 49ers could have used the franchise tag to lock Garoppolo in for this year, but they wanted to get a long-term deal with him done now so there would be no question that he’s their starting quarterback for the foreseeable future.

Garoppolo played very well after arriving last season in a trade with the Patriots. The 49ers were 1-10 when Garoppolo became their starter, but they went 5-0 in games he started. Now they’ll see if he can turn the 49ers back into a Super Bowl team again.

Getty Images

Jimmy Garoppolo has agreed to a five-year deal with the 49ers, according to multiple reports.

The full numbers aren’t out yet, but Mike Garafolo of NFL Network reports that the total value is $137.5 million, which would make it just a bit better than the five-year, $135 million deal Matthew Stafford got from the Lions last year. At $27.5 million a year it’s the biggest per-year average on a long-term contract in NFL history, although there’s no word on how much of that money is guaranteed.

The 49ers could have used the franchise tag to lock Garoppolo in for this year, but they wanted to get a long-term deal with him done now so there would be no question that he’s their starting quarterback for the foreseeable future.

Garoppolo played very well after arriving last season in a trade with the Patriots. The 49ers were 1-10 when Garoppolo became their starter, but they went 5-0 in games he started. Now they’ll see if he can turn the 49ers back into a Super Bowl team again.

I'm interested to see what the actual details look like

It's great for SF to get their franchise QB (which is still debatable), but besides maybe Brees, I don't know of many teams that won the Super Bowl with a young team and a new franchise QB making more than 20% of the cap. The sweet spot is to win before the rookie contract ends, or with an established team once the inflated QB contract levels off. SF will not really be in either of those categories for several years.

It's great for SF to get their franchise QB (which is still debatable), but besides maybe Brees, I don't know of many teams that won the Super Bowl with a young team and a new franchise QB making more than 20% of the cap. The sweet spot is to win before the rookie contract ends, or with an established team once the inflated QB contract levels off. SF will not really be in either of those categories for several years.

Luckily for the 49ers, they had the highest projected cap space with 117 million available. Even with JG taking 27 of that at least, they still have plenty of room to bring some big players in on. I suppose the Bears will always be linked with them since the trade for the 2nd pick, so it will be interesting to watch how these teams develop over the next few years.

Luckily for the 49ers, they had the highest projected cap space with 117 million available. Even with JG taking 27 of that at least, they still have plenty of room to bring some big players in on. I suppose the Bears will always be linked with them since the trade for the 2nd pick, so it will be interesting to watch how these teams develop over the next few years.

It seems like we are linked with CLE, SF, and to an extent HOU and KC. CLE and SF passed on Trubisky and HOU and KC didn't trade up to get him but traded up for other QBs. So it will be interesting to see who's plan worked out the best (I think we can remove CLE from that discussion).

It seems like we are linked with CLE, SF, and to an extent HOU and KC. CLE and SF passed on Trubisky and HOU and KC didn't trade up to get him but traded up for other QBs. So it will be interesting to see who's plan worked out the best (I think we can remove CLE from that discussion).

KC and Hou have the edge imo with more experience. SF and Chi will have more youth who can turn the page quickly. Hopefully we will see a JAX/LAR type turn around. Man I hope the Bears win this, I dont think I can take any more resets.

Getty Images

I'm really bummed out about this. After the draft last year I was assured John Lynch was the smartest GM in the NFL. Now he gives a QB who has played a total of 7 games in the NFL the largest QB contract ever. Say anything you want about his play; good, bad, great, whatever, he still only has 7 games and just 5 in that offense. Very little body of work here to base this decision on. If your GM can't drive a better bargain than making him the highest paid player in the league then he's not doing his job well.

Until NFL defenses have film and tendencies on your QB it is caveat emptor. I don't think Garoppolo will be a bust but it's ridiculous to make him the highest paid player. At least Joe Flacco had a Superbowl ring on his hand when he was given a huge deal.

I'm really bummed out about this. After the draft last year I was assured John Lynch was the smartest GM in the NFL. Now he gives a QB who has played a total of 7 games in the NFL the largest QB contract ever. Say anything you want about his play; good, bad, great, whatever, he still only has 7 games and just 5 in that offense. Very little body of work here to base this decision on. If your GM can't drive a better bargain than making him the highest paid player in the league then he's not doing his job well.

Until NFL defenses have film and tendencies on your QB it is caveat emptor. I don't think Garoppolo will be a bust but it's ridiculous to make him the highest paid player. At least Joe Flacco had a Superbowl ring on his hand when he was given a huge deal.

Agreed completely. Giving out a record breaking deal to a guy who hasn't started half a season is crazy.

Agreed. I like Jimmy G. but he hasn't earned this contract.

Peace :dabears

SF made a huge mistake by not signing him long term at the time of the trade when SF had all the leverage. But they waited which shifted all the leverage to Jimmy G. Love him or not. He had all the leverage so I knew he was going to break the bank because they could ask for the moon and SF had to give in or tag him especially after the way he played down the stretch once he became the starter

We can't go and get all wrapped up in who won or lost these decisions. The only thing that matters is developing trubisky. As long as he works out I don't care if SF, KC or HOU all do well or not. It is very possible for all to work out

Sure, and it's possible all the teams can win, which would be cool too. CHI vs SF in the NFCC, and HOU and KC in the AFCC.

SF made a huge mistake by not signing him long term at the time of the trade when SF had all the leverage. But they waited which shifted all the leverage to Jimmy G. Love him or not. He had all the leverage so I knew he was going to break the bank because they could ask for the moon and SF had to give in or tag him especially after the way he played down the stretch once he became the starter

What leverage did they have when he could just not sign the deal and become a free agent or get tagged? There was no rush for him to sign a deal and the only way it would've backfired on him is if he struggled in his starts and they lowballed him based on the small sample size.

Finally saw a good breakdown on this deal over at overthecap.com. Essentially this deal is good for both team and player. It's extremely front loaded. The team has outs after the 2019 and 2020 seasons by April 1. So if he doesn't perform he's gone and SF doesn't have a huge dead money problem. Unlike over in Buffalo where they can't get out of the tyrod Taylor situation. He basically got an extra $9M in the 1st seasons compared to if he was tagged this yr and next. I really like the deal overall

Finally saw a good breakdown on this deal over at overthecap.com. Essentially this deal is good for both team and player. It's extremely front loaded. The team has outs after the 2019 and 2020 seasons by April 1. So if he doesn't perform he's gone and SF doesn't have a huge dead money problem. Unlike over in Buffalo where they can't get out of the tyrod Taylor situation. He basically got an extra $9M in the 1st seasons compared to if he was tagged this yr and next. I really like the deal overall

I'm not buying that this was a good deal for SF.

From OTC.com

"The effective guarantee is the first two years of the deal minus the per game bonuses which is about $59.6 million. That is about $9 million more than he would have earned if tagged twice so that’s a big number.

---------------------

Therefore the point that they have him for 2 years well they could have done that for less money. Certainly for far less risk if they just franchised him this year, then worked on the long term deal next year.

---------------------

back to OTC.com

"From a salary cap perspective the 49ers frontloaded the contract for a whopping $37 million cap hit this year (and perhaps more if they did that acceleration trick) but took a modest $20 million cap hit in 2019. This surprised me a little as I expected big cap charges in the first two years so this tells me two things. One is that the team still isn’t sold on him being a sure thing just yet as doing this would have forced them to raise the two year cash flow level by about $6 million. Secondly it tells me that they are going to be active in free agency and this gives them a better chance to spend next year as well. Here is the breakdown of the contracts cap structure:"

-------------------------

OTC makes hte point that this deal falls in line with Rodgers, Stafford, Wilson, Luck, Roethlisberger, and even Carr. There is still the fact all of them were far more accomplished in their body of work than Garoppolo.

The thought that the franchise had no leverage in this doesn't fly either because they had the franchise tag for two years as a cheaper way out. JimmyG could only negotiate with one team for two years if that's what SF wanted. If Jimmy wanted more money now for long term security he could have settled for less than the franchise tag on an annual basis but with more guaranteed money. He has the same risk as the team: He's only had 7 games and if he gets exposed as being less of a franchise QB by the end of next year, or he gets injured again as he did in his 2nd start in NE which also raises long term questions, then the balance of the contract equation changes in the team's favor.

I still think it's horrible negotiating for Lynch to pay him on par with QBs who have a much better body of work including Superbowl victories. He had options and he never even got close to the franchise tag deadline much less using the tag to add leverage to his side. He was owned by the player's agent who is still out celebrating his victory.

From OTC.com

"The effective guarantee is the first two years of the deal minus the per game bonuses which is about $59.6 million. That is about $9 million more than he would have earned if tagged twice so that’s a big number.

---------------------

Therefore the point that they have him for 2 years well they could have done that for less money. Certainly for far less risk if they just franchised him this year, then worked on the long term deal next year.

---------------------

back to OTC.com

"From a salary cap perspective the 49ers frontloaded the contract for a whopping $37 million cap hit this year (and perhaps more if they did that acceleration trick) but took a modest $20 million cap hit in 2019. This surprised me a little as I expected big cap charges in the first two years so this tells me two things. One is that the team still isn’t sold on him being a sure thing just yet as doing this would have forced them to raise the two year cash flow level by about $6 million. Secondly it tells me that they are going to be active in free agency and this gives them a better chance to spend next year as well. Here is the breakdown of the contracts cap structure:"

OTC makes hte point that this deal falls in line with Rodgers, Stafford, Wilson, Luck, Roethlisberger, and even Carr. There is still the fact all of them were far more accomplished in their body of work than Garoppolo.

The thought that the franchise had no leverage in this doesn't fly either because they had the franchise tag for two years as a cheaper way out. JimmyG could only negotiate with one team for two years if that's what SF wanted. If Jimmy wanted more money now for long term security he could have settled for less than the franchise tag on an annual basis but with more guaranteed money. He has the same risk as the team: He's only had 7 games and if he gets exposed as being less of a franchise QB by the end of next year, or he gets injured again as he did in his 2nd start in NE which also raises long term questions, then the balance of the contract equation changes in the team's favor.

I still think it's horrible negotiating for Lynch to pay him on par with QBs who have a much better body of work including Superbowl victories. He had options and he never even got close to the franchise tag deadline much less using the tag to add leverage to his side. He was owned by the player's agent who is still out celebrating his victory.

I think they front loaded the contract because they have cap room now and in two years will give them flexibility to resign or add players when they will be competing.

From OTC.com

---------------------

---------------------

back to OTC.com

I get the whole body of work argument and I agree he isn't worth that. However the reason he got it is because he had all the leverage because SF failed to get something done when they 1st acquired him. SF made the mistake and they have paid for it. However they have over $100M cap room so this deal won't hurt them financially if it doesn't work out