Howard for Landry

bradjock

It’s being reported by Moon Mullin that the Bears would trade Jordan Howard and the #8 overall pick for Jarvis Landry, the #11 pick and a 3rd rounder.

I actually like this. Howard doesn’t fit our new offensive scheme as he’s a terrible pass catcher. It’d also be nice to get a 3rd round pick.

The downside is we’d need to sign Landry to a long term contract extension as he’s been tagged. I’m also not thrilled about dropping from 8 to 11.

But this would take care of our most pressing need.

It’s being reported by Moon Mullin that the Bears would trade Jordan Howard and the #8 overall pick for Jarvis Landry, the #11 pick and a 3rd rounder.

I actually like this. Howard doesn’t fit our new offensive scheme as he’s a terrible pass catcher. It’d also be nice to get a 3rd round pick.

The downside is we’d need to sign Landry to a long term contract extension as he’s been tagged. I’m also not thrilled about dropping from 8 to 11.

I am torn on this because Howard has been pretty near elite for RBs in his first 2 years. I think RBs can be created easier than a WR and they have a shorter NFL life span. If Miami is shopping him, then they know they are not going to meet his contract demands and they will lose him after the season like we did with AJ. Why not be firm on only swapping 2nds. They get Howard and a higher 2nd, we pay JL and gain a 3rd. They do not lose out like we did losing AJ. Pace could learn a thing or two about gaining draft value

I am torn on this because Howard has been pretty near elite for RBs in his first 2 years. I think RBs can be created easier than a WR and they have a shorter NFL life span. If Miami is shopping him, then they know they are not going to meet his contract demands and they will lose him after the season like we did with AJ. Why not be firm on only swapping 2nds. They get Howard and a higher 2nd, we pay JL and gain a 3rd. They do not lose out like we did losing AJ. Pace could learn a thing or two about gaining draft value

That’s a damn good point. I’d take that one further: How much is Landry’s trade value worth vs. Howard? For starters, both are really good but not great players at their position. Neither is considered elite. Landry’s franchise cap hit is 16 million. Then you have to sign him to an extension. Meanwhile Howard only made $600,000 and has two years left on his salary at a real low rate. AND I believe Miami is over the cap or damn close to it.

How about we get Landry and a 3rd for Howard straight up?

That’s a damn good point. I’d take that one further: How much is Landry’s trade value worth vs. Howard? For starters, both are really good but not great players at their position. Neither is considered elite. Landry’s franchise cap hit is 16 million. Then you have to sign him to an extension. Meanwhile Howard only made $600,000 and has two years left on his salary at a real low rate. AND I believe Miami is over the cap or damn close to it.

That would be most ideal to me. If they are shopping him, they don't want to pay him long term unless he proves it on the tag. Doubtful the tag him twice, so I would wait him out a year or give them Howard as you said.

I don't know about either not being elite. Howard is in the top 3 in rushing yards over the last two years and Landry caught the most receptions this year. Both were in crap offenses too, which makes their numbers even better.

I am torn on this move even if it is just a rumor. Wright played decent in the slot, so we would be upgrading from Wright to Landry while going from Howard to potentially a rookie. So we lose a draft pick filling the new RB hole. The assumption has been we would pick up Wilson (KC) or Gabriel (ATL) for the slot, so we wouldn't have to use a draft pick on that position. In this trade, we would need to use one on an RB.

So this seems like a negative sum gain unless Miami gave us an extra pick (3rd rounder).

In the same sense it creates a need IMO. I love Cohen but I don't envision him as an every down back though

I've thought a lot about this, and I've flipped around on both sides. Ultimately, however, it comes to certainty.

Right now, Howard is a certainty. He's been a stud on a garbage offense. He may not perfectly fit into Nagy's system, but his status as a certainty is undeniable.

Similarly, Landry to be a certainty. Conversely, he's a slot WR. He'll never be the #1 who scares opposing defenses. It's pretty safe to assume he'll fit into Nagy's offense, but it's not 100%. Then there is the additional worry that he'll want a massive contract, one in the top-ten of WRs. He is not worthy of a top-ten contract.

Ultimately, Howard is better at RB than Landry is at WR, but mostly because Landry is a slot. The Bears shouldn't fill a hole by creating a hole at RB. In a draft that is deep at RB and super-deep at WR, it doesn't make a ton of sense to create a hole at RB where one is not needed. It's smarter to just draft a WR. Ideally, trade down and draft two.

I've thought a lot about this, and I've flipped around on both sides. Ultimately, however, it comes to certainty.

Right now, Howard is a certainty. He's been a stud on a garbage offense. He may not perfectly fit into Nagy's system, but his status as a certainty is undeniable.

Similarly, Landry to be a certainty. Conversely, he's a slot WR. He'll never be the #1 who scares opposing defenses. It's pretty safe to assume he'll fit into Nagy's offense, but it's not 100%. Then there is the additional worry that he'll want a massive contract, one in the top-ten of WRs. He is not worthy of a top-ten contract.

Ultimately, Howard is better at RB than Landry is at WR, but mostly because Landry is a slot. The Bears shouldn't fill a hole by creating a hole at RB. In a draft that is deep at RB and super-deep at WR, it doesn't make a ton of sense to create a hole at RB where one is not needed. It's smarter to just draft a WR. Ideally, trade down and draft two.

I agree with you. I think I'd much rather sign Albert Wilson who know for a fact fits the offense. Howard will do just fine in the offense and keeps our 2 headed monster at the position. Signing Wilson wont break the bank the either and won't cost us valuable draft picks

I am all in on Wilson:

Albert Wilson (4.43 speed) is a sneaky valuable free agent WR. Stats below from 2017:

2nd in the NFL with 5.0 YAC/Target, per @rotounderworld

3rd in the NFL with 15 missed tackles forced, per @PFF

4th in the NFL with a 72.4% contested catch conversion rate, per @rotounderworld

I would rather have Wilson at half the cost of Landry with Howard, a draft pick (assuming we would have to use one on an RB), and retain our current slots (assuming we would swap with Miami from 8 to 11) than trading for Landry, taking on his salary, drafting a new RB and potentially moving from 8 to 11.

Now I am open to trading Howard if the compensation is comparable, but I don't think Landry-Howard is an even trade.

I think I fall in this category as well. Now I'm also on board as saying I'll take Saquon Barkely at #8 if he's there and then trade Howard. For now, even if Howard is not an ideal fit, there is no need to create a big hole at RB that we could only fill with potential.

What he said. Word...

Bingo!

I simply do not want to lose draft capital...

And as jason said, Howard is the bird in hand. Find another way.

I am all in on Wilson:

I would rather have Wilson at half the cost of Landry with Howard, a draft pick (assuming we would have to use one on an RB), and retain our current slots (assuming we would swap with Miami from 8 to 11) than trading for Landry, taking on his salary, drafting a new RB and potentially moving from 8 to 11.

Now I am open to trading Howard if the compensation is comparable, but I don't think Landry-Howard is an even trade.

This is a smokescreen. They're thinking Barkley may fall, and they want people to think we aren't happy with Howard, so teams will think they may have to trade up with us if he's there. I'm sure it's part of a "top 8 players" game they are playing, and looking at how the board might fall.

I wouldnt give it much thought. It's ALMOST plausible, but Landry isn't actually that good.

This is a smokescreen. They're thinking Barkley may fall, and they want people to think we aren't happy with Howard, so teams will think they may have to trade up with us if he's there. I'm sure it's part of a "top 8 players" game they are playing, and looking at how the board might fall.

I wouldnt give it much thought. It's ALMOST plausible, but Landry isn't actually that good.

Barkley may fall????? Did you miss his combine numbers???? Cleveleand may take him #1 overall and then draft a QB #4. If Cleveland doesn’t, the Giants might jump all over him at #2. Indy would love to take him at #3. And then you have Cleveland at 4. There’s no way in hell he makes it out of the top 4.

Barkley may fall????? Did you miss his combine numbers???? Cleveleand may take him #1 overall and then draft a QB #4. If Cleveland doesn’t, the Giants might jump all over him at #2. Indy would love to take him at #3. And then you have Cleveland at 4. There’s no way in hell he makes it out of the top 4.

Im not predicting that he will fall, Im saying, you play a game at #8, about which 8 players might get taken - not what you predict, but just every scenario.

And if he falls to 8, then everyone would assume we werent interested and the team at 9 could pretty much know hed be available. So teams trading up would do business with them. Now we have insurance against that possibility.

If the QBs all fall and everyone we think we're going to take goes first and no QBs go, were also screwed, but theres no lie we can tell to protect against that, becasue eveyrone knows theres no way we would be shopping Trublisky.

So that's 4 out of the 8 possibles, 3 QBs and Barkley.

Thats all Im saying, I totally agree he wont make it to 8, and I assume Pace knows that too. Still, it's a smart move to make.

It also means that epople assume we're going WR with 8 too, if we need one SO bad that we'd trade Howard, so if say we have our eyes on a pass rusher, having done this smokescreen makes it less likely that a team who wants a pass rusher at 9, leapfrogs us to 7 to get him.

that's all Im saying.