lemon's post FA Mock 1.0

lemonej

Its great to be back posting and here is my most recent mock and currently working on 2.0

8 Denzel Ward CB Ohio State

39 Tyrell Crosby OT Oregon

105  Kemoko Turay OLB Rutgers 

115  Orlando Brown Jr OT Oklahoma

145 Allen Lazard WR Iowa State

181 Grant Haley CB Penn State

224 Jamil Demby OG Maine

I like this draft a lot. I think Lazard is one of those guys who might not have the speed, but the guy just produced. Knows how to get open and knows how to high point the ball.  Ward has shot to be a real playmaker and while we spent money on our 2 primary DB's, its a passing league and injuries, etc. happen, and Ward can cover and looks like the type of guy who will force turnovers.  

Ward would be a good choice only if a few others are gone. Nelson-Edmunds- Fritzpatrick- Landry then I would pick Ward. CB is not a weakness for us and think we will fill other needs first. Our DBs were ranked 10th last year in the league and will be better this year with the growth the young players will have. Fritzpatrick will fit out defense better than Ward with flexibility to place every spot in the D backfield, so I think he has more value than Ward.

19 hours ago, lemonej said:

Its great to be back posting and here is my most recent mock and currently working on 2.0

8 Denzel Ward CB Ohio State

39 Tyrell Crosby OT Oregon

105  Kemoko Turay OLB Rutgers 

115  Orlando Brown Jr OT Oklahoma

145 Allen Lazard WR Iowa State

181 Grant Haley CB Penn State

224 Jamil Demby OG Maine

I am not sold on CB in the 1st either, but lot of people are high on Ward. He is going to be a playmaker. If Fangio and Pace think he can get this D over the top I would be good with him. Like Crosby also, I've been high on him for a couple years now.  If I am Pace, I would consider a taller WR like Lazzard for those times when we might need to throw the ball up and have someone who can get up and make a play. 

1 hour ago, Stinger226 said:

Ward would be a good choice only if a few others are gone. Nelson-Edmunds- Fritzpatrick- Landry then I would pick Ward. CB is not a weakness for us and think we will fill other needs first. Our DBs were ranked 10th last year in the league and will be better this year with the growth the young players will have. Fritzpatrick will fit out defense better than Ward with flexibility to place every spot in the D backfield, so I think he has more value than Ward.

Agreed. I like Fitzpatrick a lot because of his fit at safety. My preference is Nelson if he is there. Otherwise top pass rusher or DB.

If Nelson isn’t there, I am ok moving down as many as five spots as well because I don’t think there is a major drop off in the linebackers. All of them expected to be there around the bears pick have various strengths and weaknesses.

If we want a dB, I do see a distinct drop off after Fitzpatrick and Ward. Jackson from Iowa is good but Fitz and Ward are at another level (prospect wise). 

Ultimately I think we either move up for Chubb or move down and take another linebacker. This is because I expect Nelson to be gone.

First, I've gotta say DAMN!!! For some reason I wasn't able to log in or send any admins messages for help... This new format made recovering my acct possible... second, I'll say this... I'm a huge buckeye fan, and ward is overrated... I'd rather trade back and pick up a late first and second rd. pick... then if you want to go db, go Jackson from iowa, maybe take those two seconds and trade back in to get conner williams, but if you're  gonna go with any osu player this yr, make it hubbard... he will be a helluva olb...

I like that this is a no trade mock.

I still think Edmunds is the next great Chicago ILB. I think he is such a freak at that position, that you kinda gotta take him.

You can find pass rushers that play OLB along the way, maybe next year, and when you pair them with Edmunds, then you have something crazy special.

But Fangio will know what he wants best. I agree the first pick should go to Defense.

Then, the next 2 picks (the 2nd rounder and one of the 4ths) should go to OL, so I like your pick there. Id be OK with Orlando Brown in the 4th, but NOT in the 2nd, his talent deserves it but hes a head case.

The second 4th rounder can go almost anywhere, OLB, DE, ILB (if they dont take Edmunds), WR, CB, S who knows.

So I guess I agree with what you're thinking, but mine looks a little different

1 Edmunds
2 Billy Price OG
4 some OT
4 some pass rusher or DE

I think Edmunds is so very young that he will take a few years to develop. I would like someone that has an impact from day one. I think Chubb, Nelson, and maybe Fitzpatrick could be those that do. If none of them are there, Edmunds or Davenport, possibly Landry should be our choice. At least they have all have upside of being a quality edge rusher, but not guaranteed . I hope they address the Oline in one or two, of course we shouldn't reach for that, still take the BPA if it falls that way.

50 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

I think Edmunds is so very young that he will take a few years to develop. I would like someone that has an impact from day one. I think Chubb, Nelson, and maybe Fitzpatrick could be those that do. If none of them are there, Edmunds or Davenport, possibly Landry should be our choice. At least they have all have upside of being a quality edge rusher, but not guaranteed . I hope they address the Oline in one or two, of course we shouldn't reach for that, still take the BPA if it falls that way.

I think you will see growing pains with any player selected, except for Nelson.  We always want things now, but have to think long term also. 

I'm not a big fan of Ward in the first, and I do mean the first round not just the 8th pick.  I don't even think he can cover the Bears best WR in practice.  I know he has elite athletic traits but he doesn't have the size and strength needed to cover big WRs on the outside and it shows on his tape.   In our D who is he going to successfully jam at the LOS?   At 180lbs, how will he hold up physically tackling big RBs like Jordan Howard on the edge?   If he were on the Packers would you want him covering Robinson in the red zone?   He can run all day with Taylor Gabriel but that's not what I want from the 8th pick in the draft.   I think he ends up being a very good NB,  or a good #2 CB.   While Ward might be a bit better athletically we already have a similar talent in Callahan.  

Rd 2 for Crosby seems a bit high but ok.  

Rd 4 Turay...love this pick.  Excellent edge athlete with little production due to his injury history but when healthy he makes a difference on the field.  In the Senior Bowl practices he was almost unblockable in 1on1 pass rush drills.  In the 4th the risk/reward is in balance IMO.  

Rd 4 Orlando Brown.   I don't want anything to do with this guy.  Ok maybe later because a 5-7th Rd pick is just hope that something good will happen.  In the 4th we can still find productive players with upside.  Keep in mind, part of my opinion is based on the fact that Nagy wants fast athletic Olinemen and the slowest combine runner in history doesn't fit that mold.  We already have one big slow guy on the right side, not sure why we'd need another one who is bigger and slower.    Why not Alex Cappa, Brandon Parker, or Jamarco Jones here?   In this spot, if he's there I'd take Shaquem Griffin.   

145 Allen Lazard...hell yeah.