Drafting to the offensive depth chart

jason

At this point the roster is nearly complete, and the Bears need to focus on what positions will need updating, and which will benefit the team the most. I think we might be able to glean some info from the depth chart:

Offense
LWR    12    Robinson, Allen U/Jax    18    Ayers, Demarcus SF17    80    McKay, Mekale SF17    00    Fowler, Bennie R/Den        
RWR    11    White, Kevin 15/1    15    Bellamy, Josh W/Was    19    Gentry, Tanner CF17                
SWR    18    Gabriel, Taylor U/Atl  

LT    72    Leno Jr., Charles 14/7                                
LG    79    Sowell, Bradley U/Sea    67    Morgan, Jordan 17/5    63    Lee, Cameron CF17    62    Averill, Travis SF17        
C    65    Whitehair, Cody 16/2    55    Grasu, Hroniss 15/3    64    Kush, Eric W/LAR                
RG    75    Long, Kyle 13/1    00    Watford, Earl U/Arz    60    Greene, Brandon CF17                
RT    70    Massie, Bobby U/Arz                                
TE    88    Sims, Dion U/Mia    87    Shaheen, Adam 17/2    85    Brown, Daniel W/Bal                
TE    80    Burton, Trey U/Phi    84    Braunecker, Ben CF16    82    Thompson, Colin SF17                
QB    10    Trubisky, Mitch 17/1    4    DANIEL, CHASE U/NO    9    Bray, Tyler U/KC                
RB    24    Howard, Jordan 16/5    29    Cohen, Tarik 17/4    33    Mizzell, Taquan W/Bal    30    Cunningham, Benny U/LAR        
FB    46    Burton, Mike W/Det

Long story short, the WRs are partial need, and the OL is a pressing need. Leno (LT) has no real backup, Massie (RT) has no real back up, and neither of those guys is better than average. I'd say they're both below average. And the LG position is a poo-poo platter, with no real winners in there.

Based solely on the offensive depth chart, and the fact there are only 7 picks, I could see 2 or 3 OLinemen selected, and WR getting ignored.

Sowell is the OT backup plan so far. They will draft one.

The starter right now is Eric Kush at LG. We have no idea the influence of H. Heinstand to the play of existing players. I would say it boosts every starter one step forward. 

They have added Watford, just a experience backup -nothing special. 

They have moved Coward to OG with the concept of developing him for the future. unknown and probably be stashed on the practice squad for future considerations.

I would have no problem if they drafted OL with the first two picks but probably be a OT prospect and a potential starter at OC or OG depending on the Nelson draft pick.

I see a D player at one and the 2nd round maybe a center, Price, or Daniels, have read a lot of good things about Frank Ragnold. 

Another option is draft Connor Williams at 8 and play him at OG. A potential blue chip pick.

Ideally we move back. And grab one OLB and 2 OL with the next few picks.

I wish I can find a scouting report on the oline I read earlier. It broke down the top 10 prospects at each position and said which blocking scheme they would fit best at.  As for the draft, I can see them drafting one or two OT's.  Only McGlinchey from what I read is deemed a day one starter where the rest will take development and strength to get to that point.  Since Leno recently signed, I think they target a swing OT to backup and take over for Massie next season around rd3 or 4 and then another later.   If there is a G/C they like, they may take a 3rd lineman but I think they are fine going in with the guys they have if they remain healthy (which never happens). Still see them drafting OLB, ILB, WR, DB, OL. Doubling up on OLB and OL.  

why doubling up on OLB? Floyd is certainly a long term solution, don't they just really need one?

I see our needs as (in no particular order) EDGE, DE, OLB, ILB, WR, OG, OT

We will get some good players at some of those positions, but we will still have holes filled by guys like Lynch, Jenkins, Kwitkowski, Kush, Fowler etc. Maybe one of them will step up, but more likely the team will be more complete in 2019.

I believe there are enough pieces to grow this year, and possibly even sniff the playoffs.

Floyd is absolutely a long-term solution, however, I think to have a dominant defense you want two dominant rushers and that could come with 2 dominant OLB's or you can have an edge rusher in the 3-4.  To me, adding a real high quality OLB who can attack the QB and go all over the field would be tremendous for this defense. Real impact player.  If we were to draw out htis draft, I would say my ideal position to land would be a stud pass rusher followed by a stud LT.  There isn't a stud LT in the draft (at least based upon current draft position), however, there could be some pretty good OLB's.  

Chubb is a guy I love...even if he isn't the "perfect" fit. Not only tremendous athlete / football player, but from the little I've seen of him on the ESPN show that is following him, seems to have good character.  

I think its highly possible that our draft goes OLB / ILB in the 1st two drafts.  I could also see us moving down in the 2nd round, accumulating picks, and taking a wideout.  I quietly wonder if we will take Fitzpatick.  Have heard so little about "DB's" it makes me wonder if that is actually where we will go in the draft.  

Yes for sure we need another OLB on this team, but Ashkum said doubling up on OLB, and I dont see two picks going there unless one guy is a long term developmental late round kind of guy who can contribute on special teams or something.

I think we need two pass rushers, Floyd has yet to play a full season. The possibility exists we could get grab Fitzpatrick. He could play at either S spot, the off CB, and the slot CB. He is known as a play maker and Fangio could easily throw him all over the place and still have plenty of snaps for all of our starters right now. Also could be Ward/CB, R. Smith/ILB, D. James/S or Edmunds. I see as a spoiler the possibility we could draft H. Landry/OLB or Vita Vea/DT.

big board order:

Chubb

Nelson

Fritzpatrick

Edmunds

Ward

James

Landry

Vea

1 hour ago, BearFan NYC said:

Yes for sure we need another OLB on this team, but Ashkum said doubling up on OLB, and I dont see two picks going there unless one guy is a long term developmental late round kind of guy who can contribute on special teams or something.

Agree with that.  Don't see the need to draft 2 OLB's. Would prefer any developmental guy being brought in more as a UDFA.  We have too few draft picks to invest two at OLB (unless they can also shift inside).  

3 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

I think we need two pass rushers, Floyd has yet to play a full season. The possibility exists we could get grab Fitzpatrick. He could play at either S spot, the off CB, and the slot CB. He is known as a play maker and Fangio could easily throw him all over the place and still have plenty of snaps for all of our starters right now. Also could be Ward/CB, R. Smith/ILB, D. James/S or Edmunds. I see as a spoiler the possibility we could draft H. Landry/OLB or Vita Vea/DT.

big board order:

Chubb

Nelson

Fritzpatrick

Edmunds

Ward

James

Landry

Vea

If we draft Landry, who I am okay with taking, I think we have to draft him after a trade down.  I just don't see the value at 8. Basically you are betting on the fact that something was going on which mitigated his success and we ultimately expect him more to be the guy he was a season ago (when he would have been a sure fire top 10 pick).  Having not followed him closely, for those proposing drafting him on the earlier side, what is the rationale for the step back in his play?  I didn't get the feel (from what I've read) that it was because of too many double-teams, etc, but maybe that played in a fact.  Most of the stuff I read just said he was less explosive, his motor was down, etc.  

5 hours ago, BearFan NYC said:

Right now they have Floyd, Acho, and Lynch. If they had two studs then they could go for one, but they don't. They have Floyd who hasn't lasted a season. Lynch who is in a one year prove it deal, and Acho who is decent depth and ST. Oh, and Isaiah Irving...  Let's say they draft Carter RD2 and another RD 6 like Dorance Armstrong. Neither of these guys will be ready until game 4 or 6, maybe get some snaps but not be main rotational player or starter.  This gives the 2 chances for one to make it and depth for the following season if Lynch doesn't deserve a second contract. Another option is to bring Lamar Houston back or draft Edmund's knowing he can play ILB and OLB. Either way, they need one who can contribute soon and extra depth would help would help down the road. 

4 hours ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

Agree with that.  Don't see the need to draft 2 OLB's. Would prefer any developmental guy being brought in more as a UDFA.  We have too few draft picks to invest two at OLB (unless they can also shift inside).  

That’s crazy talk.  When has Fangio not had at least 5 quality OLB’s?  Two years ago, we had Pernell McPhee, Willie Young, and Lamarr Houston.  We not only drafted Floyd, but we traded up to get him.  

Two years later, after we had to convince Fangio to return, we have Floyd, who shows flashes of brilliance but is inconsistent and hurt.  Lynch from San Fran, who isn’t very good, and Sam Acho who makes a very nice #5 OLB.   This is the position Fangio covets the most—and it sucks. 

I could see us drafting 3 OLBers.  

2 hours ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

Right now they have Floyd, Acho, and Lynch. If they had two studs then they could go for one, but they don't. They have Floyd who hasn't lasted a season. Lynch who is in a one year prove it deal, and Acho who is decent depth and ST. Oh, and Isaiah Irving...  Let's say they draft Carter RD2 and another RD 6 like Dorance Armstrong. Neither of these guys will be ready until game 4 or 6, maybe get some snaps but not be main rotational player or starter.  This gives the 2 chances for one to make it and depth for the following season if Lynch doesn't deserve a second contract. Another option is to bring Lamar Houston back or draft Edmund's knowing he can play ILB and OLB. Either way, they need one who can contribute soon and extra depth would help would help down the road. 

round 6, sure. I wouldnt have an issue with that.

8 hours ago, bradjock said:

That’s crazy talk.  When has Fangio not had at least 5 quality OLB’s?  Two years ago, we had Pernell McPhee, Willie Young, and Lamarr Houston.  We not only drafted Floyd, but we traded up to get him.  

Two years later, after we had to convince Fangio to return, we have Floyd, who shows flashes of brilliance but is inconsistent and hurt.  Lynch from San Fran, who isn’t very good, and Sam Acho who makes a very nice #5 OLB.   This is the position Fangio covets the most—and it sucks. 

I could see us drafting 3 OLBers.  

3 OLBs?  Are you out of your mind. I get that the position is very weak but no way do we spend half our draft capital on 1 position. That's absurd

5 hours ago, bowlingtwig said:

3 OLBs?  Are you out of your mind. I get that the position is very weak but no way do we spend half our draft capital on 1 position. That's absurd

I could see rd 1 Edmund's, Rd 2 Carter, and a late rd prospect. Could look at that as 3, by I think Fangio would move him all over

7 hours ago, BearFan NYC said:

well by that definition sure, I just have been thinking of Edmunds as an ILB primarily. He's got Urlacher ability to run with receivers and shut down the middle of the field.

He has that and I think more. Maybe not the brain Brian had, but many think he could be a chess piece a move to either giving Fangio a great tool to disguise blitzes and coverages.

1 hour ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

He has that and I think more. Maybe not the brain Brian had, but many think he could be a chess piece a move to either giving Fangio a great tool to disguise blitzes and coverages.

I agree. Unless he really has his eye on a pass rusher that we don't see, Edmunds would be a great chess piece. WHo knows, maybe he secretly like Roquon Smith better.

Im loving the options and the not knowing.

I have NO idea what Pace will do, but I bet I will be happy with the pick and he will improve the team. It's almost like... a real team with a real GM... WHAT?!?

1 hour ago, BearFan NYC said:

I agree. Unless he really has his eye on a pass rusher that we don't see, Edmunds would be a great chess piece. WHo knows, maybe he secretly like Roquon Smith better.

Im loving the options and the not knowing.

I have NO idea what Pace will do, but I bet I will be happy with the pick and he will improve the team. It's almost like... a real team with a real GM... WHAT?!?

Agree completely.  NFL.com has Leonard Floyd as 6-6 242.  Edmunds is 6-5 253.  Pretty comparable.  Meanwhile, Smith is 6-1 236 making him more of a pure ILB.  While I’d be happy with Smith, ILB is not nearly as valuable of a position and it’s not nearly as great a need. 

After being a miserable Bear fan for over a year, I’m excited.  

Read where Whitehair has been at the OC spot in OTAs. I think they end up leaving him there. I think it is possible, if we trade back that we could draft Connor Williams at OG. He was the highest rated OT going into the college year and had a bad year. I have read,. a lot think he could easily be places at OG.

First round at 8 only has one option of value in Q. Nelson.

I think if we move back in the draft, C. Williams (at OG), Hernandez, Wynn, M. McGlinchey   are in play.

I think there is a chance one of those drop into the second plus in play as a pick is Daniels, Price, Corbert, and T Crosby.

I think a couple wildcard sneeky picks that could go at 2 are Frank Ragnow/OC and Branden Smith/OG.

A sleeper for later in the draft is Skyler Phillips/OG/Idaho State.

I watched several games for him and he knocks a lot of people on the ground.