Khalil Mack traded to Bears for 2x 1st Round Picks

Urlacker54

36 minutes ago, bowlingtwig said:

Dude is in his prime and the entire team is very young and good cheap contract

I agree with everything except the contract. Part of this is a new deal from him that they are negotiating now. YOu can bet it will eclipse Donald's deal, and he will be the highest paid defensive player in the league.

And almost certainly worth it too.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, BearFan NYC said:

I agree with everything except the contract. Part of this is a new deal from him that they are negotiating now. YOu can bet it will eclipse Donald's deal, and he will be the highest paid defensive player in the league.

And almost certainly worth it too.

The key to that deal is it will mostly cover Trubisky's rookie contract window, and by the time Trubisky is due a new contract, most of Mack's money will have already been paid out. So Pace has put all his chips in on Nagy, Trubisky, and Mack. The core of the team is now set. 

Assuming the Bears finish in the upper half of the league, and Raiders in bottom half, consider this scenario:

Bears with 20th overall pick and Raiders 10th the next two years (to me this is worst case scenario...I see the Bears doing better and Raider doing worse)

Bears give up:
2019 - 1st (850), 6th (13)
2020 - 1st (850), 3rd (170)

Raiders give up:
Khalil Mack = 5th Overall pick (1700)
2020 - 2nd (480), conditional 5th (28)

If you consider Mack for 2x 1st's is even (in terms of draft value), the additional picks give the Bears a net positive of 397 w/o the conditional pick and 425 with it. 397 would net you Pick #51 in the 2nd round and 425 would net you #48. So either way the Bears got value equivalent to the pick we used on Anthony Miller back in the Mack trade.

I like the fact his previous contract was not voided, this is an extension. So we have him locked up for seven years. He will be 34 in February after the end of his last season under the contract. Basically, we have him under contract for the remainder of his career. 

YEAR - AGE - CAP HIT - DEAD MONEY
2018 (27) - $13.8 MIL - $60 MIL
2019 (28) - $22.3 MIL - $46.2 MIL
2020 (29) - $24 MIL - $24.1 MIL
2021 (30) - $24 MIL - $13.6 MIL
2022 (31) - $24.5 MIL - $6.8 MIL
2023 (32) - $22.9 MIL - $0
2024 (33) - $23.2 MIL - $0

So the Bears are locked into Mack until at least 2022, Trubisky's first year on his second contract. The Bears could get out of Mack's contract for only $6.8 dead money after 2021 (if they needed to), which is not bad all things considered. So it ends up being $21.6 Million average for the first 5 years (2018-2022).

2 hours ago, adam said:

YEAR - AGE - CAP HIT - DEAD MONEY
2018 (27) - $13.8 MIL - $60 MIL
2019 (28) - $22.3 MIL - $46.2 MIL
2020 (29) - $24 MIL - $24.1 MIL
2021 (30) - $24 MIL - $13.6 MIL
2022 (31) - $24.5 MIL - $6.8 MIL
2023 (32) - $22.9 MIL - $0
2024 (33) - $23.2 MIL - $0

So the Bears are locked into Mack until at least 2022, Trubisky's first year on his second contract. The Bears could get out of Mack's contract for only $6.8 dead money after 2021 (if they needed to), which is not bad all things considered. So it ends up being $21.6 Million average for the first 5 years (2018-2022).

Great job finding those details. This makes me feel even better about the deal overall. Can't wait for the season to start. Why oh why did I have to get married on opening weekend of the season. Maybe I can convince her we need to watch the game lol

9 hours ago, adam said:

The key to that deal is it will mostly cover Trubisky's rookie contract window, and by the time Trubisky is due a new contract, most of Mack's money will have already been paid out. So Pace has put all his chips in on Nagy, Trubisky, and Mack. The core of the team is now set. 

agree!

Over at WindyCityGridiron Josh Sunderbruch did an excellent analysis of the Mack trade.   Once you read that you'll come away feeling this deal is even better than it first appears.  

https://www.windycitygridiron.com/2018/9/1/17810200/chicago-bears-khalil-mack-trade-better-than-you-think-ryan-pace-mitchell-trubisky-nfl-2018

One other thought:  When considering whether it was worth it to make this trade naturally Pace consulted his coaches.  I'm sure Fangio stated the obvious but IMO the key here is that Nagy had to game plan for him twice a season the last four years.  He knows as well as anyone how much trouble Mack can cause an offense, and what kind of options he takes away from an offense because of the need to focus on stopping him.  We all see the highlight plays but a player like Mack has additional value in the scheme changes opposing offenses have to make whether it's the obvious double team blocking, keeping RBs in for pass protection, or just running away from him.    

first of all, the price, the contract doesn't matter because the most important players on this team are far away from a second contract. MT-Floyd-Smith- Miller(yet to be proven).

This put us in the position to be the elite defense in the league.

Bringing Mack in will line Floyd up to make a pro bowl with all attention going to Mack. Pressure from both sides. 

Smith will develop into a pro bowl player, making potentially 3 pro bowl LBs with Trevathan as a very good player still.

Then we have 2/3 of a stellar DL with Hicks , Goldman and the developing Bullard or Roy R-H. 

Our DBs ended up being a strength of the D last year and they will have another year together.

Barring injuries, defense will rock. Imagine Hicks and Mack on the right side tearing up the OL.

As far as the draft picks we are virtually trading Mack for 2019 first rounder. We give up a 2020 for a second and a 3rd for a conditional 5th. Considering we will be drafting no lower than a 15 in the next few years, and Raiders will have higher picks, this trade does not look as a bad value at all.

Remember we are getting a top 5 player in return that is being put on a Vic Fangio defense, that will be like Fangio going to heaven. Mack-Floyd-Smith-Hicks- Goldman, this is an elite defense and Fangio will know how to use them. Give this 2 weeks for Mack and Smith to blend in before the monsters come to play every Sunday.

2 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

first of all, the price, the contract doesn't matter because the most important players on this team are far away from a second contract. MT-Floyd-Smith- Miller(yet to be proven).

This put us in the position to be the elite defense in the league.

Bringing Mack in will line Floyd up to make a pro bowl with all attention going to Mack. Pressure from both sides. 

Smith will develop into a pro bowl player, making potentially 3 pro bowl LBs with Trevathan as a very good player still.

Then we have 2/3 of a stellar DL with Hicks , Goldman and the developing Bullard or Roy R-H. 

Our DBs ended up being a strength of the D last year and they will have another year together.

Barring injuries, defense will rock. Imagine Hicks and Mack on the right side tearing up the OL.

As far as the draft picks we are virtually trading Mack for 2019 first rounder. We give up a 2020 for a second and a 3rd for a conditional 5th. Considering we will be drafting no lower than a 15 in the next few years, and Raiders will have higher picks, this trade does not look as a bad value at all.

Remember we are getting a top 5 player in return that is being put on a Vic Fangio defense, that will be like Fangio going to heaven. Mack-Floyd-Smith-Hicks- Goldman, this is an elite defense and Fangio will know how to use them. Give this 2 weeks for Mack and Smith to blend in before the monsters come to play every Sunday.

Two weeks is good because I have my tickets for week 3 against the Cardinals.  

9 hours ago, AZ54 said:

Over at WindyCityGridiron Josh Sunderbruch did an excellent analysis of the Mack trade.   Once you read that you'll come away feeling this deal is even better than it first appears.  

https://www.windycitygridiron.com/2018/9/1/17810200/chicago-bears-khalil-mack-trade-better-than-you-think-ryan-pace-mitchell-trubisky-nfl-2018

One other thought:  When considering whether it was worth it to make this trade naturally Pace consulted his coaches.  I'm sure Fangio stated the obvious but IMO the key here is that Nagy had to game plan for him twice a season the last four years.  He knows as well as anyone how much trouble Mack can cause an offense, and what kind of options he takes away from an offense because of the need to focus on stopping him.  We all see the highlight plays but a player like Mack has additional value in the scheme changes opposing offenses have to make whether it's the obvious double team blocking, keeping RBs in for pass protection, or just running away from him.    

Adding some film breakdown to backup my point about how Mack affects or limits what an offense can do. 

This might be my favorite quote from the Mack trade :

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2018/9/1/17810362/chiefs-gm-brett-veach-on-khalil-mack-trade-were-excited

We were excited. Yeah, we were excited,” Veach said during a conference call Saturday. “I think I was probably the first one to call Matt (Nagy) [Saturday], and I congratulated him and I said, ‘The Bears and the Chiefs just got better today.’”

2 hours ago, bowlingtwig said:

Yeah that's the biggest thing. We need people to stay on the field this yr.  Personally I still don't like our depth but the roster is slowly coming together

Here are the depth guys:

QB - Daniel (knows system, great QB mentor)
RB - Cunningham (starting experience, can catch the ball out of the backfield)
WR - White, Wims (will they even be needed?)
TE - Sims, Brown, Braunecker (Sims is a former starter, both B's have decent hands)
OL - Kush, Coward, Sowell (Kush and Sowell have both started)

DL - Bullard, Nichols, Williams (Bullard has started before)
LB - Kwiatkowski, Acho, Lynch, Fitts, Irving, Iggy (Kwiat, Acho, and Lynch all with experience)
CB - Cooper, Callahan, Toliver (Cooper and Callahan have started before)
S - Bush, DHC (both have experience)

Would we like these guys to be better? Sure, but where are you going to upgrade and get better output as a sub? Sims, White, and Cooper probably bring you the lowest bang for your buck, but the other guys have decent value for what they are paid. 

2 hours ago, adam said:

Here are the depth guys:

TE - Sims, Brown, Braunecker (Sims is a former starter, both B's have decent hands)

LB - Kwiatkowski, Acho, Lynch, Fitts, Irving, Iggy (Kwiat, Acho, and Lynch all with experience)

Would we like these guys to be better? Sure, but where are you going to upgrade and get better output as a sub? Sims, White, and Cooper probably bring you the lowest bang for your buck, but the other guys have decent value for what they are paid. 

Your post here also points to the draft. This team is nearly set other than adding an OT and maybe DB depth. 2019 we get developmental players to groom.

3 hours ago, adam said:

Here are the depth guys:

Where do I start. Personally I don't get all the love for the TE position. Sure Sims has started before but he's garbage and the B's I just don't trust period. I also don't care for the OL at all. Coward is playing there because he sucked on the DL. That doesn't exactly give me trust. I don't like Bullard at all and don't think he belongs on our roster at all. Williams was cut only to be brung back when Shaheen hit the IR. At LB I love kwit and I like acho for depth. While Lynch on paper says he use to be good now it tells us that he can't even stay on the field anymore. No more example than this preseason. Did he even take a snap lol. Seriously you want to bring up Cooper as great depth.  Look no further than what has happened since he joined us when he's been on the field. I'm sorry but just because someone has experience doesn't mean he's any good. Obviously this is all my personal opinion and I understand I don't see eye to eye with most.