Moving forward: Seattle at Chicago Official Game Thread

Alaskan Grizzly

I'm honestly not as down on trubisky as many seem to be.  Very few QBs are franchise guys the second the step into the NFL. For most it takes time to develop them. Look at big ben. Those 1st several years they won inspite of him. He wasn't a franchise guy but he certainly grew into one with enough coaching he became very good. And now the only reason they win games is because of him and that offense. 

With trubisky I see the progressions he's making. He's going through his reads nicely and he's generally making the correct read. Right now his biggest flaw is accuracy especially that 15+ yds down field.  Like the underthrown ball that was picked. He made the correct read. Single coverage on the outside with our best WR out there. He just underthrew it. Or the Gabriel play on the left. Wide open streaking across the field 18 yds down. Correct read just over threw him. Don't we kind of expect growing pains like this when everyone is brand new. Tru has never played with any of these receivers before and to add to it everyone is brand new to this system. So I at least expect pains. For now he's been good enough to get by.  So I'm optimistic

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Stinger226 said:

When you look at MTs development , you can pick out the good things you see or you can find things to criticize. The Bears have been bad for so long it seems that a lot of you look for failure because that is what were use to . I swear you cheer for failure so you can say look at me, i was right. This team is not the same as other teams we have been use to. It is at the stage where it is to about to take the next step and be on the winning side of a record. Pace has made many mistakes to get to this point in a total rebuild of the team. I also might add he is did many good changes also. We get one of the best 3 defensiveness players in the league and instead of enjoying the ride, you want to complain we paid to much. I see us on the verge of being a very good team. For some it seems like it has to be instant success or the whole plan is failure. When we finally get on the right side of winning, they will be people on here than complains about how flawed it is . If you want to be debbie downer all the time , good luck with that, but I am going to enjoy the ride. We win a game and so many on here want to pick everything a part. If perfection is what you seek, I suggest you pick a different sport because you won't find that in football.

I don't think it's the Debbie Downer stuff so much as people really want to know we have a franchise QB in Trubisky.   It's been a very long time since we had one.  Although after so many bad seasons it feels like there is a component of worry that we'll never be a competitive team again.  The media doesn't help either but they are all front-runners.  Sam Darnold throws one deep pass that is a few feet short and the Detroit CB let's it go through his hands for a TD.  The next day the NY papers declare Darnold to be a franchise QB.  Trubisky throws a similar pass and it's intercepted and he's now called "dumpster juice".     

In the Mahomes video his inaccurate throws and poor mechanics don't matter when the result is a TD because the coverage was so poor.  The media ignores the mechanics and accuracy issues.  It wasn't too long ago Pace was slammed for not drafting Dak Prescott.  12 months afterward many, but not all, Cowboy fans were ready to move on from Dak at the end of 2017.  For 2018 Dak is below Trubisky in yards thrown and this is his 3rd year in their system.      

Trubisky hasn't been consistently good through all 4 quarters of a game, neither has he been consistently as bad as "dumpster juice."  If you want to compare QBs in similar situations look at Cousins and Trubisky.  Through the first 3 quarters against the Packers the Trubisky led offense outplayed Kirk Cousin's, and it wasn't close... 20pts to 7pts.  Cousins had another week to prepare with his team too, and he has a few more years experience reading defenses.  Can't say Trubisky was helped by a better defense either.   

I don't think it can be known if Trubisky is our franchise QB until his 3rd season, although I agree we should have some good signs of that by the end of this season.  With this new offense, and knowing the time it took Wentz and others to shine in it, I didn't expect those good games to show up until the 2nd half of the season.  The first two games starting out with TDs actually makes me more optimistic that we'll see a good game sooner rather than later as he and the rest of the offense get comfortable with more and more plays.   

3 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

When you look at MTs development , you can pick out the good things you see or you can find things to criticize. The Bears have been bad for so long it seems that a lot of you look for failure because that is what were use to . I swear you cheer for failure so you can say look at me, i was right. This team is not the same as other teams we have been use to. It is at the stage where it is to about to take the next step and be on the winning side of a record. Pace has made many mistakes to get to this point in a total rebuild of the team. I also might add he is did many good changes also. We get one of the best 3 defensiveness players in the league and instead of enjoying the ride, you want to complain we paid to much. I see us on the verge of being a very good team. For some it seems like it has to be instant success or the whole plan is failure. When we finally get on the right side of winning, they will be people on here than complains about how flawed it is . If you want to be debbie downer all the time , good luck with that, but I am going to enjoy the ride. We win a game and so many on here want to pick everything a part. If perfection is what you seek, I suggest you pick a different sport because you won't find that in football.

+1

20 hours ago, jason said:

Same. Only, Cutler proved he could be a stud in Denver, but got to Chicago and got worse because he was behind a horrible OL for several (most) years with the Bears. Right now, Trubisky hasn't even proven he can be Cutler.

And to be quite honest, the comparison is scary for one other reasons: interceptions. Trubisky could easily have 2-3 more interceptions this year already. He sails a few per game, and it's just a matter of time before one of them is a crossing route that goes into a Free Safety's hands. Also, the out route he threw this past week was a stupid throw, barely complete by inches. It was awesome to be sure, but it was also the type of risky throw that leads to more INTs.

So I agree with you on the bold. To be honest what bugged me the most about Mitch was that awful throw he made near the end of the 1st half (where he threw to 2 Seattle defenders at the end zone) which should have been pick. I have zero idea what he read or saw and can't figure out what happened there. Horrendous decision.  The other throw I didn't like was the one I bolded above, which was on our first drive of the game and extremely close to being a pick 6. Just struck me as way too dangerous of a throw.  Outside of those two throws, I didn't have an issue with any other reads he made. His pick to Robinson was the right read just a bad throw and I think that with time, he will be fine. He's not adjusted to this offense and with that, his mechanics are out of synch a bit when he's in the pocket and that led to him throwing a bad ball there. Similarly, he made a bad throw to Gabriel...again mechanics plus a linemen impacted him...but the read was crisp and throw was the right one...just not accurate.

When you see him just "play", i.e., when he gets out on the roll, etc, his footwork gets back to normal (since he isn't over-thinking...like most young QB's do) and his accuracy sharpens up.  I'll believe what everyone says about his accuracy (that is it a huge asset) and thus presume that with time and him gelling in the offense and building comfort, he'll fall back to those natural good accurate tendencies.

I will also say, it isn't often that Mitch makes throws like that one he made at the end of the 1st half, but if starts doing that regularly, than yes, we can start about having a Jay Cutler on our hands. I also think some of this is Nagy wants Mitch to take calculated risks and it is taking Mitch a while to get that into his head because Fox was so hard on him about not making mistakes / turnovers.  

3 hours ago, bowlingtwig said:

I'm honestly not as down on trubisky as many seem to be.  Very few QBs are franchise guys the second the step into the NFL. For most it takes time to develop them. Look at big ben. Those 1st several years they won inspite of him. He wasn't a franchise guy but he certainly grew into one with enough coaching he became very good. And now the only reason they win games is because of him and that offense. 

With trubisky I see the progressions he's making. He's going through his reads nicely and he's generally making the correct read. Right now his biggest flaw is accuracy especially that 15+ yds down field.  Like the underthrown ball that was picked. He made the correct read. Single coverage on the outside with our best WR out there. He just underthrew it. Or the Gabriel play on the left. Wide open streaking across the field 18 yds down. Correct read just over threw him. Don't we kind of expect growing pains like this when everyone is brand new. Tru has never played with any of these receivers before and to add to it everyone is brand new to this system. So I at least expect pains. For now he's been good enough to get by.  So I'm optimistic

I agree with you. Great post.  

1 hour ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

So I agree with you on the bold. To be honest what bugged me the most about Mitch was that awful throw he made near the end of the 1st half (where he threw to 2 Seattle defenders at the end zone) which should have been pick. I have zero idea what he read or saw and can't figure out what happened there. Horrendous decision.  The other throw I didn't like was the one I bolded above, which was on our first drive of the game and extremely close to being a pick 6. Just struck me as way too dangerous of a throw.  Outside of those two throws, I didn't have an issue with any other reads he made. His pick to Robinson was the right read just a bad throw and I think that with time, he will be fine. He's not adjusted to this offense and with that, his mechanics are out of synch a bit when he's in the pocket and that led to him throwing a bad ball there. Similarly, he made a bad throw to Gabriel...again mechanics plus a linemen impacted him...but the read was crisp and throw was the right one...just not accurate.

When you see him just "play", i.e., when he gets out on the roll, etc, his footwork gets back to normal (since he isn't over-thinking...like most young QB's do) and his accuracy sharpens up.  I'll believe what everyone says about his accuracy (that is it a huge asset) and thus presume that with time and him gelling in the offense and building comfort, he'll fall back to those natural good accurate tendencies.

I will also say, it isn't often that Mitch makes throws like that one he made at the end of the 1st half, but if starts doing that regularly, than yes, we can start about having a Jay Cutler on our hands. I also think some of this is Nagy wants Mitch to take calculated risks and it is taking Mitch a while to get that into his head because Fox was so hard on him about not making mistakes / turnovers.  

I can't provide a link but there was some analyst/reporter who said that the first thing Nagy had to do was "beat the Fox out of Trubisky."  

3 hours ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

Agree. I'm not down on his decision making so much. He's done well there. But he's sailed a few passes, which will lead to INTs, and the poor decisions he does make seem to be very poor.

15 hours ago, jason said:
18 hours ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

I also think some of this is Nagy wants Mitch to take calculated risks and it is taking Mitch a while to get that into his head because Fox was so hard on him about not making mistakes / turnovers.  

I noticed that after Mitch threw the 4th quarter TD on the sidelines Nagy was right in his helmet for quite a while. Wonder what he was saying. An I do believe that Nagy is all in on Mitch and Mitch is all in on Nagy. What a big change from Fox.

From my coaching and playing experience, when something good happens you want to lock that in with your developing player ASAP. 

After a touchdown a player is on a high, at that time everything positive from a coach is remembered as such and retain forever, creating trust and confidence.  The sooner true trust and confidence is instilled, the sooner you see instinctive plays.  When you get those instinctive plays the defense has to counter on a "bell curve" making the offense exponentially more effective.