Should Chris Tabor Be Under Fire?

lemonej

43 minutes ago, lemonej said:

With the Parkey misses over 50 yards and the penalties plus 2 TDs given up  on a punt block and a KR. Supposedly he is a disciple of Dave Toub but, so far I don't see any connection.

So far I've seen one "bad game" special teams wise. I'm not really going to get that pissed for Parkey missing a 50+ yarder.  Its going to happen and I don't think that is on the special teams coach (near as much).  That is a kicker item.  In terms of the Pats game, that was a pure debacle but outside of that, I felt coverage units have been solid. I'd like to see some tweaks on the kick-off return game, but punt returns have been solid.  

Just the fact that he doesn't tell Cunningham to take a knee if the ball is in the end zone is enough for me. 

Here were Cunningham's 4x returns (3 were downable) from Sunday:

1Q - 1-yd deep, returns 18 yards to the 17 (-8)
3Q - 4-yds deep, returns 31 yards to the 27 (+2) (+15 yard NE penalty) - only worthy return
3Q - 1 yd line, returns 24 yards to the 25
4Q - 3-yds deep, returns 19 yards to the 16 (-9)

So 3 kicks into the end zone, and on those kicks, we lost a net of 15 yards total compared to if we just downed it and took it at the 25. The issue with the two bad kicks was the first one was our first drive after NE scored, and the last one was in the 4th quarter when we were trying to mount a comeback. 

Cunningham is averaging 22 yards a return and only has two returns longer than 25 yards (out of 7). On his only other return longer than 25 (28 against TB), he caught it 5 yards deep and only got it out to the 25.

So out of 7 returns, Cunningham has got past the 25 once (to the 27). 

Under fire to improve things..yes.  Just don't go full McCoy on him.  Tabor is a good special teams coach and I believe he'll fix the issues.  This whole team looks like a bunch of young players who got a bit arrogant after a great start to the season.  Maybe in some ways our coaches did too.  Everyone needs to go back to the basics.  I believe we have the right coaching staff to make that happen and that includes Tabor.  

17 hours ago, adam said:

Just the fact that he doesn't tell Cunningham to take a knee if the ball is in the end zone is enough for me. 

Here were Cunningham's 4x returns (3 were downable) from Sunday:

1Q - 1-yd deep, returns 18 yards to the 17 (-8)
3Q - 4-yds deep, returns 31 yards to the 27 (+2) (+15 yard NE penalty) - only worthy return
3Q - 1 yd line, returns 24 yards to the 25
4Q - 3-yds deep, returns 19 yards to the 16 (-9)

So 3 kicks into the end zone, and on those kicks, we lost a net of 15 yards total compared to if we just downed it and took it at the 25. The issue with the two bad kicks was the first one was our first drive after NE scored, and the last one was in the 4th quarter when we were trying to mount a comeback. 

Cunningham is averaging 22 yards a return and only has two returns longer than 25 yards (out of 7). On his only other return longer than 25 (28 against TB), he caught it 5 yards deep and only got it out to the 25.

So out of 7 returns, Cunningham has got past the 25 once (to the 27). 

Preach.

More than once I've yelled "Take a knee!" on kickoff returns.

41 minutes ago, jason said:

Preach.

More than once I've yelled "Take a knee!" on kickoff returns.

Yeah, it is frustrating, I do the same thing, but I am cussing up a storm when he does that. It is literally a drive killer. The odds of him breaking a long one off without a penalty is so low that it makes no sense to even attempt a return. The chance of a block in the back or holding is much higher than anything else. So take a knee, take the ball at the 25 and be happy with that. Who knows, those few extra yards could make the difference between a 51 yard FG and a 47 yard FG later in the drive.

Why not put Cohen back there instead of Cunningham.  I do realize that would possibly hurt his ability to contribute on offense, but if anyone could take a kickoff in the end zone and make it past the 25 more often than not it'd be him.  He's got a bit of Hester in him.  As it is it is frustrating watching Cunningham take it out of the end zone and get stopped well short of the 25.  I don't know if he's given green light to go if he thinks he can return it or if he's taking it on himself to chose not to take a knee.  Either way it needs to stop.  These are costly hidden yards.  Put your offense in a hole and if they go 3-out you are giving up tremendous field position.  

4 hours ago, BearFan2000 said:

Why not put Cohen back there instead of Cunningham.  I do realize that would possibly hurt his ability to contribute on offense, but if anyone could take a kickoff in the end zone and make it past the 25 more often than not it'd be him.  He's got a bit of Hester in him.  As it is it is frustrating watching Cunningham take it out of the end zone and get stopped well short of the 25.  I don't know if he's given green light to go if he thinks he can return it or if he's taking it on himself to chose not to take a knee.  Either way it needs to stop.  These are costly hidden yards.  Put your offense in a hole and if they go 3-out you are giving up tremendous field position.  

IMdO, kickoff returns a a dead breed. The league office wants it that way. Most kickers now get the ball into the end zone. So take the 25 and get the O rolling. Punts, though, still offer the opportunities. Just an idea, what about White as a return man? Has he ever done it?

It ain't dead yet, and it's a hindrance for us.  There has to be someone better than Benny.  And dammit Parkey!  You were supposed to not suck.  Yet, there he is sucking week after week!  We cannot get this right somehow.   I miss Gould.  I get why he's not here.  But damn, it was nice not having to worry about making extra points...