Bears vs 49ers Official Game Thread (Sun, Dec 23, 3:05 PM CST/FOX/Bears -4, O/U 44)

adam

Bears 10-4, still have outside shot at a first-round bye, though very unlikely. The game is still important to at least lock in the #3 seed. Interesting to see the line only at -4. Based on some bookie sites, a lot of money going SF's way. Hopefully not a trap game, we need to finish strong and Trubisky needs to string together some solid games. 

Bears 27-13.

“Defense travels” as they say.   I’m hoping for a solid performance from the D with no injuries.  IF a lead is built I’d be go ok with them putting in backups to test the reserves. 

On offense I’m hoping for a more conservative effort like last week.  More WCO looking in high percentage mid yardage passes with plenty of running from Howard, Cohen and Mizzel.  The 49ers D is no slouch ranking 12th against the pass game, 14th against the run and 12th in total yards given.  Their D coordinator Robert Saleh has spent time with the ‘Legion of Boom’ in Seattle and was the Jaguar’s linebacker coach until getting hired by SF last year. 

Not that the packers game matters for playoffs, but the "OMG Erin Rogers is so perfect"-nonsense from broadcasters continues. A come from behind drive was followed by an ATROCIOUS holding call on the Jets DB that brought back a 105yd INT return for the 2-pt flip.

It was packers 36 Jets 35, would have been Jets 37 packers 36. But everything goes the way of the packers and rogers (who still has a 5 second pocket every other play and the lin never gets called for a hold), they get another shot, and it's packers 38 Jets 35.

This is BS they shouldn't have been able to get that FG off.   We stop them with 5 seconds left in the half there is chaos and the officials stop the clock to "review" whether they got a first down (which they didn't even though they "confirmed" it anyways).  Essentaially gave them a free time out to get their FG unit on with 5 seconds to snap the ball.... Had this been officiated correctly the clock runs out and they get no points...  Bull Friggin crap.

Need to come out firing in the second half.  We haven't played well at all. Trubiskey got bailed out on the red zone INT.  We again turned the ball over on a play trying to be cute when Howard had been running well on the drive.  We have got to stop shooting ourselves in the foot.  We had yet another FG miss by Parkey... or it'd be 10-9 halftime lead. It should be a 7-6 halftime lead.   

Time to regroup.  We cannot lose to this crappy team.

I still can't get over the NFL giving the 49ers a free timeout and time to get their FG unit on the field.  First off the 49ers clocked the ball so that was 4th down.  If they are going to do that crap they should make them run on their offense run off the field and the FG unit run onto the field while the clock is running.  

We won and that matters most and I always take 'em however I can get 'em.   

The team overall looked out of sorts early on.  When Robinson went out early on the offense seemed to just fall apart.  I'm not sure exactly when he returned but it was noticeable once he was back on the field.  Ball control will be a big topic of discussion this week in practice.  Far too many fumbles.  

Trubisky was ok.  Then he was bad.  Then Nagy yelled at him and he was good again.  Maybe even really good because he did exactly what you want from your franchise QB with the last 4 min in the game until Robinson gave up the football.   He finished 25/29 for 246yards.    

Khalil Mack may not win DPOY award but he is the best DPOY because he's everywhere.  On one play he ran 20 yards downfield to tackle a wide receiver.  Say whatever you want about Aaron Donald but he does not defend sideline-to-sideline and downfield (regardless of where he lines up) like Mack does.  

This wasn't a pretty win but winning is all that matters. Defense played well with only a few breakdowns. All the breaks seem to go to the 49ers. We never seem to be in a rhythm in the first half but the second half was better. On the road we are at least winning now. 49ers play LA next week and if some of their injured players are back they have a shot to upset in the game. I hope Gurley is still out. A bye and the 2nd seed would be huge going into the playoffs.

Trubisky was 25/29 for 246 and a TD. If not for all the fumbles, we win this game by 3 TDs. 

The officials gifted SF a FG before halftime. They essentially allowed SF to get their FG unit on the field without a timeout or loss of down. The catch on 3rd was short and there wasmo way to get the FG unit on the field in that time. 

First off, I'm thankful we got the win Bears are 11-4, division champs and current #3 seed in the conference.  That is worth celebrating and remembering this is year 1 with Naggy who now has more wins in his first season as Bears head coach than anyone.  To say this team is ahead of schedule is an understatement.  I had to remind myself that a few times yesterday as this game at times was maddening to watch.  But also this and next week are sorta like SF's Super Bowl.  The teams going nowhere but they can play spoiler that seems to feed them as they were jacked for this game.  We didn't come out of the gate matching their intensity and it showed.  

I'm still miffed about the FG like most others here I hope the Bears send that to the league office. This isn't just a small officiating gaffe, they were gifted 3 points.  They didn't make the yardage needed on 3rd down yet the officials gave them the first down (this game had a Madden ball spotting feel to it marking us short and giving them generous spots).  With the 49ers scrambling to get their units changed the officials noticed that and decided to call their own time out with 5 seconds left to "review" giving the 49ers time to have their FG unit ready.  The refs blew the spot twice but in this situation what the hell mattered if it was a first down or not?  Less than 10 seconds left if it were 1st down or 4th down they'd be kicking the FG. SF was scrambling around if it were a 1st down they didn't look organized enough to line up for a quick spike.  This just reeked of home cooking.  These kinds of shananagins happened throughout this game.  Thankfully these kind of things did't cost us the game.  It felt like playing at GB with their paid off refs.  

Defensively Jackson's absence and on field football iq were missed greatly.  It's clear how valuable he is in the secondary.  There were plays given up by us being a step slow in coverage that I feel wouldn't have happened if he were back there.  There's a video I saw on youtube breaking down just how good Jackson is, that it gives our corners more confidence to jump routes because they know he's back there.  Jackson would diagnose and break on routes before the ball even got there which insane for a guy in just his second year.  He is a more athletic Mike Brown.

SF came off to me as a dirty team.  The hit Harris put on Trubisky felt premeditated like he was hoping to light him up slide or no slide.  That whole sequence was a mess.  We get 2 guys tossed and only Sherman is tossed.  I have no problem with our guys standing up for their QB, it was dirty  Sherman always has been a pice of shit.  One thing I do't get is how after the dust settled we were back at 3rd and 5?  I know there was an offensive hold called as well, but... Once Mitch slides and gives himself up the play is over.  The late hit is a dead ball foul.  Shouldn't both be enforced? The hold makes it 3rd and 15 and then the late hit carries an automatic first down. Add to that I still feel Shaheen got the first down but again they marked US short.  

We will need to play better next week heading on the road again to face a Vikings team that has a lot to play for.  It looks like we have a shot at knocking a second division foe out of the playoffs.  I believe a Minny loss and a Philly win over the Skins and the Vikings are watching the playoffs from home.

The refs sure seemed to have orders to throw this game (remember SF and Lynch were the darlings of 17 draft and duped the Bears). We were not sharp by any means either, the west coast travel has jet lag effects. 

I am not sure how I feel about Miller and Bellamy getting ejected.  They best not throw punches going forward. You want to get in their face and let them know you have your QBs back, great do that. Give a push, fine, but punching at heads is a complete loss of composure and risking your hands as a WR is dumb. Smart DBs going forward will use that lack of composure against you.

41 minutes ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

We were not sharp by any means either, the west coast travel has jet lag effects. 

I am not sure how I feel about Miller and Bellamy getting ejected.  They best not throw punches going forward. You want to get in their face and let them know you have your QBs back, great do that. Give a push, fine, but punching at heads is a complete loss of composure and risking your hands as a WR is dumb. Smart DBs going forward will use that lack of composure against you.

Let’s hope when it’s time to play the Rams again #1 hopefully it’s in Chicago,  #2 if in LA, the Bears do a little better at waking up to play. 

The melee was just ridiculous . I get the reaction of the guys on the sideline while Trubiksy is getting hit, but Bellamy and Miller were just plain dumb...and justified in getting ejected.  Sherman is easily the dumbest of all.  He’s always been a shithead and his jumping into the fight ‘just because’ is completely ludicrous.  The guy is a veteran and should know better.

In other news; watch out for SF.  Mullens looks to be a legit QB and it’ll be hard for Shannahan to decide between he and Jimmy G next year.  Other than that late throw on 4th down, he was connecting with some nice frequency. Their D is about 1/3 rookie (all in the backfield) and looked pretty good.  Considering where they are ranked with all that, they could be a force to reckon with in the near future.