Ha Ha vs Amos

Bill

Chicago Bears: Ha Ha Clinton-Dix has allowed a passer rating of just 52.9 on throws into his primary coverage since 2014, which is the best mark among all safeties in that time.

Green Bay Packers: A staggering 47.1% of Adrian Amos‘ career targets have resulted in either a defensive stop or a forced incompletion. This defensive success rate is currently tied with Charles Woodson for the best mark by a safety in the PFF era.

From PFF

Why stats and how they are reported can give me a headache.  Why not just compare the same stats in the same story?

When I watch some of the Bears games from 2018, I keep seeing Amos missing a tackle or blowing a coverage on a bunch of TDs. I am going to have to go back now and look at each opponent TD and see if there is something there. 

Also, HHCD was in coverage a lot more than Amos ever was, so I don't know how relevant Amos' stats are for coverage. To me, using something like WAR or AV.

Using AV from Pro-Football-Reference, Amos has had the following seasons of AV:6,5,4,6 (5.25), while HHCD has had the following: 4,7,9,5,6 (6.2). HHCD averages a point more per season and had two seasons better than Amos' best while playing on a much worse defense. 

Very hard to argue that Amos is better other than stopping the run (or in the box), but with the way the league is going, having safeties with coverage skills seems like it is becoming more of a necessity. We will see, but I still believe Jackson+HHCD will be better than Jackson+Amos.

The best safeties in nfl history was players that had turnovers and impact plays.  Amos isn't in the conversation.  HaHa can do this. So maybe he is a slightly less at tackling,  how much does that matter. Although last year and in his career,  he has less missed tackles. Haha 

14 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

The best safeties in nfl history was players that had turnovers and impact plays.  Amos isn't in the conversation.  HaHa can do this. So maybe he is a slightly less at tackling,  how much does that matter. Although last year and in his career,  he has less missed tackles. Haha 

Good points.  I do think with our front 7 and the man lined up next to him, HHCD could possibly elevate his game to something amazing.  And at minimum, just be solid.

I feel we just swapped better run defense skills for better coverage skills.  If Ha-Ha stays disciplined and does not get selfish going after big play after big play then we'll be just fine.  Ha-Ha has a lot of future money riding on the line this year.   Having Eddie Jackson in his ear helps in a big way.