No TE with 100 yard receiving

Connorbear

The Bears did not have a TE with 100 yards receiving for the year for the first time since the 1960s. This has to be a priority to fix in the offseason. Realistically, Burton is back given his cap # and, hopefully, he can be the player he was in 2018 but they need to bring in another veteran. Shaheen and Sowell can go. 

Peace

Connor,
It is a huge black hole. If you look at all the really elite teams, they all have stud TEs (Kelce, Andrews, Kittle, etc).  For defenses, it allows the coverage to shift to other areas, essentially taking away what the Bears were doing. We need to either sign one via FA (Hooper or Ebron), or draft one within the first 4 rounds. 

3 hours ago, BearFan NYC said:

NAGY!!

I see what you’re up to. Lol!!!

This talk of using Patterson more than just as a gimmicky/Kick Returner makes sense.  In a few ‘traditional’ designed plays so far this year alone he managed to get a significant amount of yardage.  A few weeks ago against Dallas(?) and then yesterday against Minn.  For a big (and older) dude he’s amazingly agile..and fast. Reminds me some of former WR converted to RB Ty Montgomery.  He was used with success in GB, so too could Patterson. 

8 hours ago, BearFan NYC said:

I still dont understand why they didnt use Patterson as a pass catching TE more. He can block a bit, and he can definitely play FB/U type, and hes a legit threat to be the ball carrier too.

NAGY!!

Let's just consider the fact that even the great Bill Belichick couldn't get Patterson to handle the TE position.  In reality with all his athleticism he has never been a very productive receiver.  There's a reason for that.  Just like there's a reason teams use him as an expert in returns and coverage, and as a gadget player and part time receiver.  Patterson is the player we saw on the field this year.  While he could probably handle a few snaps out of the TE position it would still just be the occasional gadget play to give the defense something else to think about.  If he's on the team next year I'd still do that with him because at a minimum it makes defenses have to prepare for it, and it makes it a bit harder to know the plays when he's in the substitution package coming onto the field.  

1 hour ago, AZ54 said:

Let's just consider the fact that even the great Bill Belichick couldn't get Patterson to handle the TE position.  In reality with all his athleticism he has never been a very productive receiver.  There's a reason for that.  Just like there's a reason teams use him as an expert in returns and coverage, and as a gadget player and part time receiver.  Patterson is the player we saw on the field this year.  While he could probably handle a few snaps out of the TE position it would still just be the occasional gadget play to give the defense something else to think about.  If he's on the team next year I'd still do that with him because at a minimum it makes defenses have to prepare for it, and it makes it a bit harder to know the plays when he's in the substitution package coming onto the field.  

you may be right. But Belichick did manage to get him the ball on jet sweeps, and that should be right up Nagy's alley.

Honestly, I am not impressed with Nagy. Did you know? :)

7 hours ago, AZ54 said:

Let's just consider the fact that even the great Bill Belichick couldn't get Patterson to handle the TE position.

Hold on for a second.  I rarely disagree with you, but damn.  Patterson was only there for one year and they already had Gronk.  Saying BB failed to convert him is a monster stretch.  Considering that they have never developed a rookie receiver to contribute in their first year tells all you need to know about BB on that regard.  I see nothing to suggest that Patterson can't play 20+ snaps a game at the TE and H position.

On 12/31/2019 at 12:48 AM, BearFan NYC said:

you may be right. But Belichick did manage to get him the ball on jet sweeps, and that should be right up Nagy's alley.

Honestly, I am not impressed with Nagy. Did you know? :)

We did use Patterson on some jet sweeps.  It's just that when there is no inside running game there is nobody to fool and they were easily defended.  

3 hours ago, AZ54 said:

We did use Patterson on some jet sweeps.  It's just that when there is no inside running game there is nobody to fool and they were easily defended.  

no doubt. I think there is criticism to be had on both sides of that, I truly think Nagy underused Patterson, but yes, every offense looks terrible with Leno at LT.