Sad day

Bill

Long would've had a cap hit of $9.6M in 2020 and Dead Money of $1.5M. So initially there is a $8.1M cap savings for 2020 with this move.

This is what the rule is for a player retiring under contract:

"In business terms, it is essentially a "sunk cost." Any money a team pays a player must be accounted for against the salary cap. If there is dead money in a player's contract and he is released or retires, that charge will accelerate onto the team's salary cap for the current year."

So my assumption is the team asked Long to retire now so the dead money gets applied to the 2019 cap and not the 2020 cap, which would be great if that is what happens as it would save the team an additional $1.5M. 

Fuller's move saved $6M and this might save $9.6M, that's $15.6M - Eddie Jackson's annual average is $14.6M. So it seems these two moves covered the EJack contract for 2020 and beyond. Some decent moves and cap maneuvering by the team. 

Next up should be Prince and Gabriel which would save $13.5M. I would extend ARob now with one year left on contract for 4 more years (he is only 26). He is already making $15M which is the 8th highest, top 5 would be $17M. I figure he will get something between those two, maybe $16M a year.  It's crazy that Alshon makes more than ARob.

28 minutes ago, adam said:

Long would've had a cap hit of $9.6M in 2020 and Dead Money of $1.5M. So initially there is a $8.1M cap savings for 2020 with this move.

"In business terms, it is essentially a "sunk cost." Any money a team pays a player must be accounted for against the salary cap. If there is dead money in a player's contract and he is released or retires, that charge will accelerate onto the team's salary cap for the current year."

So my assumption is the team asked Long to retire now so the dead money gets applied to the 2019 cap and not the 2020 cap, which would be great if that is what happens as it would save the team an additional $1.5M. 

Fuller's move saved $6M and this might save $9.6M, that's $15.6M - Eddie Jackson's annual average is $14.6M. So it seems these two moves covered the EJack contract for 2020 and beyond. Some decent moves and cap maneuvering by the team. 

Next up should be Prince and Gabriel which would save $13.5M. I would extend ARob now with one year left on contract for 4 more years (he is only 26). He is already making $15M which is the 8th highest, top 5 would be $17M. I figure he will get something between those two, maybe $16M a year.  It's crazy that Alshon makes more than ARob.

agree with all of this

10 hours ago, adam said:

I am positive they will extend Robinson. He has proven to be a #1 receiver and they can save money this next season by doing it. 

Peace

21 hours ago, adam said:

Great player, but his body was not complying with the grind. I would love to see him stay with the organization as a Quality Control guy who works with the O-Line.

Long was big nasty beast but I don't think he was ever the most technically sound blocker.  I'd love for him to stick around as well or at least keep some association with the team and city.  I think that will happen.  

14 hours ago, AZ54 said:

Long was big nasty beast but I don't think he was ever the most technically sound blocker.  I'd love for him to stick around as well or at least keep some association with the team and city.  I think that will happen.  

agree, and I have no doubt Kyle will stay around the team/city.  He's the type that will always see himself as a Bear, he's proud of the fact that he was drafted here and gets to retire as a Bear.  Great guy, great player, just sad that his body wore down so quickly.  He had that mean streak and temperament you want in an OL.  Wish hime well in whatever he does next.