Sounds good to me

Bill

Great article, but I think that if you assume that both current OTs will be starting again next year, youre making a mistake.

I know that's how the cap looks now, but I think we will see a lot more new blood on the OL than common wisdom projects.

I had the same discussion here two years ago about the wide receiver squad.

I think they cut Leno. I really do.

List of top offensive needs and not one lists "play caller".   Nothing Nagy did worked last year from Oline, RB, QB, and most WRs.  I literally put OC at the top of the list.   Nagy actually managed to get his QB to perform worse than he finished the previous season.  Any discussion that doesn't acknowledge that weakness is just worthless IMO.  

The best line of the article went something like "they need to decide if they want an upgrade Trubisky or make his supporting cast better."  I think this summarizes what NYC and AZ stated above.  My opinion on that is to upgrade the supporting cast.  If Montgomery runs for 1200 yards, we win 11-12 games.  It's that simple.  It frees up play action and chews up the clock so the D can rest.  Mediocre QB's win this way.

10 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

The best line of the article went something like "they need to decide if they want an upgrade Trubisky or make his supporting cast better."  I think this summarizes what NYC and AZ stated above.  My opinion on that is to upgrade the supporting cast.  If Montgomery runs for 1200 yards, we win 11-12 games.  It's that simple.  It frees up play action and chews up the clock so the D can rest.  Mediocre QB's win this way.

which goes back to play caller.  If that's Nagy or we bring in an actual OC (meaning someone who's sole job is calling plays) they need to be willing to run enough for Monty to have a shot at 1200 yards. Also goes to the OL, and needing guys who can create holes for the RB's.  This season we've had Nagy not utilize the run game with any consistency, and when we have we've rarely blocked well for it.  Perhaps that was part of his reasoning for not sticking with the run game?  Whatever the case we've seen it this season and into the playoffs teams with strong run games have had far more success. Being able to run the ball effectively is a key to success for the reasons you mentioned. Sets up play action, chews clock, and also draws the D closer to the line, opening up the downfield stuff.  Not being able to run the ball makes you one dimensional and easily shut down.

1 hour ago, BearFan2000 said:

which goes back to play caller.  If that's Nagy or we bring in an actual OC (meaning someone who's sole job is calling plays) they need to be willing to run enough for Monty to have a shot at 1200 yards. Also goes to the OL, and needing guys who can create holes for the RB's.  This season we've had Nagy not utilize the run game with any consistency, and when we have we've rarely blocked well for it.  Perhaps that was part of his reasoning for not sticking with the run game?  Whatever the case we've seen it this season and into the playoffs teams with strong run games have had far more success. Being able to run the ball effectively is a key to success for the reasons you mentioned. Sets up play action, chews clock, and also draws the D closer to the line, opening up the downfield stuff.  Not being able to run the ball makes you one dimensional and easily shut down.

Yup!

10 hours ago, AZ54 said:

List of top offensive needs and not one lists "play caller".   Nothing Nagy did worked last year from Oline, RB, QB, and most WRs.  I literally put OC at the top of the list.   Nagy actually managed to get his QB to perform worse than he finished the previous season.  Any discussion that doesn't acknowledge that weakness is just worthless IMO.  

One thought I have is what percentage of plays called are RPO.  How many fail due to oline missing assignment, how many are on the WR running wrong route. How many on QB making a bad read/throw?

How do you block an RPO if you cannot block more than 1 yd downfield? They are supposed to try to block laterally.  I like the concept, but RPO makes everyone's job nearly impossible. Maybe we have good enough players for a standard offense. Just adding some thoughts to consider. Instead of starting all over fron top to bottom, maybe change concepts 

6 hours ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

One thought I have is what percentage of plays called are RPO.  How many fail due to oline missing assignment, how many are on the WR running wrong route. How many on QB making a bad read/throw?

How do you block an RPO if you cannot block more than 1 yd downfield? They are supposed to try to block laterally.  I like the concept, but RPO makes everyone's job nearly impossible. Maybe we have good enough players for a standard offense. Just adding some thoughts to consider. Instead of starting all over fron top to bottom, maybe change concepts 

If this turns out to be true of our roster - how likely do you think Nagy is to abandon the RPO?

I think the odds he can meaningfully change are very low.

7 hours ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

When Nagy arrived the RPO was the latest fad and it was supposed to be a small complimentary piece of the offense.  It is not that hard to defend and now that defenses have seen it for 2 years they know what to read and how to handle it. 

Our Oline couldn't block much of anything.  It was so bad so often that it had to be poor communication/coaching.  I don't care if we keep it in the offense and use it as a very small part of the offense as it was intended to be.  It does force a defense to practice for it but it also has to be something the OC knows when to call.    If we went away from it that wouldn't bother me one bit if it reduced what the Oline/QB/RB/WR have to practice so we can get better at executing plays.  We need to get good at something on offense.  

12 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

We are not in position to draft Trubisky's replacement this year.  We might find a suitable short-term replacement in someone like Alex Smith if his price drops way, way, down.  Meaning I'd pay him backup money only.   Mariota is not the answer.   That's why i say regardless of what you think about Trubisky or his 2021 replacement the best thing to do this offseason is build the best supporting cast roster possible. 

If Trubisky fails in a dream world you follow what KC did and in 2021 trade up/whatever and draft the next QB who goes right into a completely ready Offensive unit.   If Trubisky succeeds you still did the right thing by building the roster to best compete in the playoffs.  This is the way.  

We have run the same offense now for 2 years and the Oline played well in 2018 but didn't this year. 2018 we had a blocking TE on the roster (Sims) and a fullback.  Without them assignments change and the Oline got worse.  For sure Nagy needs to play to the team's strengths and not try to put square pegs in round holes.  I think Nagy is smart and will do what we need to do to improve.  We need to get a powerful RG in the second round of the draft. Switch Whitehair and Daniels back where they belong.  Hopefully have Bars compete for a starter role at RT and bring a LT in to push Leno.  It would not bother me one bit if both of are 2nd round picks were OL.