Bears at Lions - Week 1 - Official Game Thread - 9/13, Bears +3, 12:00 PM CT, FOX

adam

Lions favored at home by a FG. Talk about a great game to bet on. The one team that Trubisky has dominated has been the Lions. I am surprised the Lions are favored by anything, but I suspect this line will crawl closer to even by game time.

I say Bears 27-13.

:bears

I joined the BetRivers website . Put in 200 they give me 200. I made some season bets. Bears above 7.5 wins------Bears win division----David M goes over 900 yards.... Robinson goes over 1050----Also made a bet where D. Hopkins going under 1150. I thought being with a new team, Fitzgerald , Kirk, and Drake, he just wouldnt get the volume he got in Houston.

What do you think? Drinking to much cool aid ?

On 9/6/2020 at 2:26 PM, Stinger226 said:

I joined the BetRivers website . Put in 200 they give me 200. I made some season bets. Bears above 7.5 wins------Bears win division----David M goes over 900 yards.... Robinson goes over 1050----Also made a bet where D. Hopkins going under 1150. I thought being with a new team, Fitzgerald , Kirk, and Drake, he just wouldnt get the volume he got in Houston.

What do you think? Drinking to much cool aid ?

I would say Bears winning the Division is the toughest one. All the others seem legit. Hopkins 1150, he only had 1165 with Watson, so that seems easily attainable as well.

Football starts tonight, I will be watching to see how the game looks with no fans. I am also curious on how they will do the crowd noise. Without fans, even with noise pumped in (NFL put limits on volume), it might make it easier for Mitch to get audibles out. 

The first drive is going to be huge. A three and out would be devastating. A TD drive would be huge for confidence. I think we blow them out if we score a TD on first drive. My wild card players are Miller and Quinn. We have never had an Edge2 who would be an Edge1 on half the teams in the league. With Mack's presence and Quinn on the backside, Stafford is not going to have much time. 

Agree on Quinn and Mack.  On paper our D looks to create nightmares for opposing QB's but time will tell if that plays out on the field.  I feel like over the past few seasons we have not gotten after QB's the way I'd have hoped to see.  I love seeing opposing QB's running for their lives and generally struggling to feel comfortable.  We should be able to regularly generate that kind of pressure, I'm just hoping it actually materializes. Granted it would help if they actually called holding on our opponents.

26 minutes ago, BearFan2000 said:

Agree on Quinn and Mack.  On paper our D looks to create nightmares for opposing QB's but time will tell if that plays out on the field.  I feel like over the past few seasons we have not gotten after QB's the way I'd have hoped to see.  I love seeing opposing QB's running for their lives and generally struggling to feel comfortable.  We should be able to regularly generate that kind of pressure, I'm just hoping it actually materializes. Granted it would help if they actually called holding on our opponents.

If you go back and look at the games from last year, all teams had a game plan, and it was to not let Mack ruin the game. They double and triple-teamed him and made sure to get the ball out quick. Floyd was never a threat. They had O-Linemen single-arm blocking him or would send an RB to chip him and he was done. I feel like Floyd was one of the worst players on defense when you consider Mack was on the other end. Floyd should've had twice as many sacks, especially since he was healthy. He had 3. Nick Williams had 6, Kwit also had 3. Lynch who was offsides more than anything else even had 2. If you compare snap counts, Floyd should've had at least 6, if not 7 or 8. Quinn is closer to Mack than he is to Floyd. Don't be surprised if he ends up with the most sacks on the team.

I agree with the holding, especially GB. They teach a tactic that the league doesn't call consistently yet. Hopefully they change that this year.  

On 9/8/2020 at 8:26 AM, adam said:

I would say Bears winning the Division is the toughest one. All the others seem legit. Hopkins 1150, he only had 1165 with Watson, so that seems easily attainable as well.

That had real good odds, 10.00 bet gets you 55.00.The bears are getting hammered by national press. I seen one where they finish 3-13. No one picking them to win the division. For me, HIcks is back, Pagano has a better understanding on how to use his players, total Upgrade for TE group. Added speed in the WR corp.The Oline was so bad, Infedi and a Daniels breakout season has to upgrade their play. Im  calling a 26-13 win.

Season opener and underdogs to the Kittys.   Doesn't give me much hope for rest of season.  In my sixty years of watching the bears I have never been this unenthused for the start of the season.  Two years ago I thought we were in the SB hunt.  Now I feel were stuck in 8-8 land for the foreseeable future. 

But maybe I'm all wrong and they will pull a large rabbit out of a small hat.  

8 hours ago, Bill said:

Season opener and underdogs to the Kittys.   Doesn't give me much hope for rest of season.  In my sixty years of watching the bears I have never been this unenthused for the start of the season.  Two years ago I thought we were in the SB hunt.  Now I feel were stuck in 8-8 land for the foreseeable future. 

But maybe I'm all wrong and they will pull a large rabbit out of a small hat.  

Look at the roster difference from the start of 2018 until now, we are essentially the same roster but swapped Howard for Montgomery, Burton and Sims for Graham and Kmet, added Patterson and Ifedi on offense, and then went from Floyd to Quinn, added Skrine and Johnson to replace Prince and Callahan, and Gipson to replace Amos/Haha. So at worst the defense is a push and the offense is upgraded at TE. You could also say Foles is a huge upgrade over Daniel as well. The biggest losses from the 2018 roster are Goldman and Amos.

Thanks for trying to talk me off the edge.  I just don't see things positively.  I think we are in QB purgatory and stuck being an 8-8 team for the fore seeable future.  All of our game changers will get old and we will just suck more and more as the next few years go on.  They have once again wifed big time on the QB position and it's going to set us back another ten years.  Again!!

God I'm starting to miss Bobby Douglas.  He sucked, but you never knew what he was going to do every week.  Throw an 80 yard bomb.  Run for 100 yards or miss every one by ten yards.  

The most important aspect of the game will be the game calling . I think we have smart people in the room. Nagy was bad last year but I think the new coaches will lift the play calling. Two keys to the offense will be the upgrade of the TE position and us actually using the running game effectively.More so than MT is the upgrade of the OL play. We will see. Even last year with all its failures, we still beat the Lions twice. Keep that in mind.

So far, Trubisky is 5-13 for 66 yards. That is 38.5% and he is missing badly, should already have 2-3 INTs. He can't hit anyone in stride. He is still limited to first read, and he doesn't look anyone off. Patterson and Cohen look good, ARob doing everything he can do to make plays. 

The defense looks good so far, but Stafford will figure out zone if they keep using it.

I would honestly bring Foles in after half if Trubisky can't produce a TD drive.

I give the Bears credit for continuing to fight. They could have easily folded after that embarrassing fumble, it looked like everything was going wrong.  21-0 in the 4th makes for great comeback.   The offense can’t stumble out of the gates and expect to pull this off against better teams.  A good team would hav buried us today. A win is a win but you have to put up more than 6 pts up through 3 qtrs. Just look in our division packers put up 43 points in a game with a combined 77 points scored. 

That said I liked what I saw from Miller with some key catches including the go ahead TD. Good start to having a breakout year. It was good seeing our rookies involved. Moony with some nice catches, Jaylen Johnson with some nice defensive plays including the final play. Thought Kmet would be more involved. 

What an absolutely crazy game. The Lions dominated for 3 quarters, then with a 23-6 lead, they went to a prevent. I believe the Lions were without their top two CBs and Edge Rusher and the Bears could only muster 6 pts in 3 quarters. Swift has the game-winning TD in his hands and he drops it. We won on that play. 

I don't even know what to think.  To me, the plays of the game were Fuller's INT which completely turned the game around and Trubisky's TD pass to Miller. Miller needs to get more targets.

The Bears running game averaged over 5 yards a carry but the team was 2 for 10 on 3rd Downs. Brutal. To me, the team won in spite of Trubisky. He had a 28-yard sack, and he seriously made zero plays going beyond his first read. 

This is not a sustainable offense. I don't like that our defense gave up 23 to the Lions, but the offense didn't help them very much. 

A win is a win, but Trubisky really needs to figure out some accuracy and timing really quick because of those 16 incompletions, over half were downright terrible throws and a few were easy picks.

There were a few plays in the first half that were very pivotal on adversely affecting us into the third quarter. (The personal foul on Fuller and the no call for Robinson on the end zone were at terrible as I've seen)  Was completely disappointed in the defense.  If we can't get to the quarterback we are done.  Overall, this should be a great confidence booster for Trubisky and the offense.  Good to see Graham get a TD.

I took my daughter out for her birthday and didn't see the game until halftime,  it was very depressing.  At that stage, I thought there was no way we could win. Glad to be wrong.  Positives: we run the ball a lot better,  better OLine play.  Miller is going to have a break out season.  Johnson looked like he belongs.  We still had rust from no preseason games,  but a win is a win.