Vikings at Bears - Week 10 - Official Game Thread (MNF, Nov 16th, Bears +3, O/U 43.5)

adam

I feel relatively good about this one.  Danny T has stepped up as of late and meeting the RB in the hole these last few games.  He even did well in a few pass cover plays last week.  Meaning Roquan will have more room to roam...which is a good thing.   Pressure on Cousins is key as he’s very prone to mistakes. Despite losing RRH I think with the recent play of Urban and Edwards along with the consistent play of Hicks, the interior is covered.  It’s games like this where we’ll miss Kwit after the hey day he had with these guys last year.

I’m not as sure how the offense will do.  I see they signed Kush to the PS so will that mean he joins the OL this game?  If Foles can get time, yes this will be an ‘ugly’ win.  The only way Foles knows how.

WHERE THE HELL IS LAMAR MILLER?  Is Montgomery still out for concussion protocol?  Will Nall get the start? 

This should be a winnable game but with our offense looking like it's trying to avoid scoring any points it makes it hard to look at any game going forward as a win.  The D is having to hold opponents down but every game it's a matter of when the levee will break.  It's excruciating watching the offense try to do anything remotely positive and when they do Naggy will blow it with bad play calling, or we'll commit stupid penalties.  I can see Cook running all over us by the second half.    Heck I picked up the Vikings D in fantasy this week because our offense is so inept.

40 minutes ago, adam said:

GB wins, TB wins, DET wins. Could not end up any worse for the Bears. 

The Bears could lose... that would be worse. 

In other news my question about Lamar Miller has been answered.  

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/11/15/bears-will-promote-lamar-miller-for-monday-night/

3 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

The Bears could lose... that would be worse. 

In other news my question about Lamar Miller has been answered.  

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/11/15/bears-will-promote-lamar-miller-for-monday-night/

Cool little correlation, Miller had two of his better years as a pro when Lazor was the OC in Miami in 2014 and 2015.  16 Rushing TDs in 32 games, with 3 receiving TDs. It looks like he averaged about 12 carries and 3 receptions a game and had over 5 YPC in 2014. 

Even if he is not at that level, even 80% of that production is better than we are getting now.

6 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

I have never seen a team that gives such effort suck so badly.  This week's offensive breakdown is going to be offensive.  I'll start with, Nick Foles is a pussy!  Yeah I said it...

You can see it in the wideouts. They have quit; Robinson especially. To be honest, Robinson mailed it in 2 months ago; He's showed up from time to time but you can see him consistently sulking (not that I blame him). The scheme is not working, the play calling is not working, and Nick Foles is bad.  I hope his injury isn't serious (because he seems like a nice enough guy) but I was saying before he even went down, if Mitch is at all healthy, this is the last game Foles has played. He can't do anything off script and outside of that makes the same mistakes Mitch did and than some. 

Mitch needs to be the QB and they need to make that switch immediately (unless he's unable due to the shoulder injury).  Nick Foles had 1 quarter against the Falcons but outside of that quarter this offense has been absolutely putrid. Like most inept offense in the 35 years of me being a Bears fan.  

138 yards passing, 41 yards rushing.  I don't care how hard they are playing.  And they are.  Holding all these teams to what ever the score they are.  It's a team game.  I don't want to see them win another game.  And after they lose to the FN'P in two weeks I won't have to.  Have never been this depressed since the late 80"s when they really had a chance to win.

Don't want to hear about who should be the QB. coach, gm yada yada.  If they win another game then it will give credence to keeping Nagy and Pace.   I can't blame players because I don't know or understand scheme's etc.  But as I have said before.  Time to let all the big contract players go or get traded.  Take a few years of cap hell and draft a whole new team.  If not, I will not be watching again next year.   My heart can't take any more.  

I would be happy to hear, after the Packer game I can't watch,  they are just running out the practice squad for the rest of the season.  Hell run them out in the Packer game!!!!

This is the most unwatchable offense the Bears have had since 2004. 2017 is close, but at least then they had a rookie quarterback worth watching. This isn't even football. I don't know what this is. All I know is that I'm completely done with Ryan Pace and Matt Nagy. It's time for a full on rebuild. 

They need to trade Hicks, Mack, and Fuller in the off-season and get back a couple of 1sts to go after one of the stud quarterbacks in the draft, as well as rebuilding this offensive line. This is the oldest defense in the league, and they've been trending down since 2018. Their window is closed. It's time to re-do this whole thing under a new GM and HC.

31 minutes ago, Bears4Ever_34 said:

This is the most unwatchable offense the Bears have had since 2004. 2017 is close, but at least then they had a rookie quarterback worth watching. This isn't even football. I don't know what this is. All I know is that I'm completely done with Ryan Pace and Matt Nagy. It's time for a full on rebuild. 

They need to trade Hicks, Mack, and Fuller in the off-season and get back a couple of 1sts to go after one of the stud quarterbacks in the draft, as well as rebuilding this offensive line. This is the oldest defense in the league, and they've been trending down since 2018. Their window is closed. It's time to re-do this whole thing under a new GM and HC.

I do agree with you on the pieces you mention - I think it is definitely time to move on from Mack (if you can salvage it).  I really like Kyle Fuller so hate dealing him as CB's like him are tough to find and I feel the same way about Hicks. That said - age isn't on any of those guys sides. I just don't know what the Bears will be able to get from those guys, but if you can get anything close to some 1st and 2nd round picks, you absolutely do it.  

At a minimum - I'm trading Mack and using the picks I get draft olinemen and a QB. Or I'm just drafting olinemen and waiting another year for a QB (maybe you don't like one in this draft or you take a shot on Winston and see if a year with Payton helps - guy has always had talent and despite being a turnover machine at least knows how to put up points).  

And you are right - this offense is horrific. I think about how everyone made fun of Jon Gruden when he entered the league, but I actually really enjoy watching his offense play. It is tough, physical and pretty solid. Turns out the game of football didn't pass him up and if anything he has actually proven no matter how modern the league is, the old school concepts still hold true.  With this defense - the Bears could have used an offense just like what Gruden runs - complimentary football and playing to your strengths would have been perfect.  

This offense is quite frankly the worst offense I've ever seen for the Bears.  Under Trubisky they were actually okay the 1st 3 weeks of the season. They were moving the chains, had some solid quarters and even a good half.  Wasn't great by any stretch but since Foles got here, outside of his first quarter, we have seen pure trash...period.  

By the way - I can't believe Bears guaranteed 24M to Foles.  That alone should be a fireable offense.  Just absurd that this team can't move on from Foles at this point and basically has a bunch of dead cap tied to him.  Just a brutal use of the cap.  If FOles was good - he opts out - so it isn't like there was any world where you were getting Foles for 3 years at a decent rate.  Basically the only way you were paying Foles what was outlined here was if he was mediocre or not good....which to no surprise is exactly what he is.  

10 hours ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

By the way - I can't believe Bears guaranteed 24M to Foles.  That alone should be a fireable offense.  Just absurd that this team can't move on from Foles at this point and basically has a bunch of dead cap tied to him.  Just a brutal use of the cap.  If FOles was good - he opts out - so it isn't like there was any world where you were getting Foles for 3 years at a decent rate.  Basically the only way you were paying Foles what was outlined here was if he was mediocre or not good....which to no surprise is exactly what he is.  

Isn't that spread over 3 years so it's actually 8 million a year which is not bad for an experienced backup.  In the end, you keep him around the next 2 years as the vet backup to whomever you draft. I'd rather have him than Daniels on the bench. 

Peace

I can't fault Pace for going after Foles, because I pushed for the Bears to go after him in the off-season, but I completely underestimated just how bad Matt Nagy really was as a playcaller. I sort of bought into the idea that Mitch was mostly to blame for the offensive faults, but it's quite clear at this point that the problems run deeper than just at quarterback.

Ryan Pace is now 0 for 3 in acquiring quarterbacks as the Bears GM. He gave big money to Mike Glennon, he traded a fortunate to move up to draft Trubisky, and then went out and traded for Nick Foles. He's used every available avenue possible to get a quarterback, and he's struck out all 3 times. Under no circumstances, should he be allowed a 4th chance at another quarterback.

20 minutes ago, Bears4Ever_34 said:

I can't fault Pace for going after Foles, because I pushed for the Bears to go after him in the off-season, but I completely underestimated just how bad Matt Nagy really was as a playcaller. I sort of bought into the idea that Mitch was mostly to blame for the offensive faults, but it's quite clear at this point that the problems run deeper than just at quarterback.

Ryan Pace is now 0 for 3 in acquiring quarterbacks as the Bears GM. He gave big money to Mike Glennon, he traded a fortunate to move up to draft Trubisky, and then went out and traded for Nick Foles. He's used every available avenue possible to get a quarterback, and he's struck out all 3 times. Under no circumstances, should he be allowed a 4th chance at another quarterback.

Sadly, I agree. It is time to move on but I am not sure given the current situation that ownership will see it this way (i.e. economic status due to Covid). 

Peace

Hindsight is 20/20. Foles was the logical choice over Newton and Dalton. No one could predict he would turn out this bad. He looks like the Foles in Jacksonville or LA. He is less mobile and has lost arm strength and touch. To me that is the death knell for any QB. He is career backup now and nothing more. Even with Trubisky's inability to read a defense, you can still work with that (cut the field in half, boots, roll-outs, play-action, RPOs) and allow him to make plays when things break down.

Foles needs a perfect pocket like he had in Philly to succeed. Without it, he is a tall skinny, tackling dummy.