Bears @ Packers - Week 12 - Official SNF Game Thread - 11/29, Bears +8.5, 7:20 PM CT, NBC

adam

Only reason I watched the whole thing is I’m in a tight matchup in fantasy. I need the win this weekend. I had Rodgers and Crosby and my opponent had Adams and the Packer D. The two garbage TD’s helped as did two of Rodgers’ three TD’s going it someone other than Adams. 

It’s just sad to watch. Five years ago we blew it all up and here we are at the cusp of doing it again. It would have been nice if the defense put up some kind of fight. There was little resistance. Offense put up 25, granted 15 of those pints came in garbage time with no sense of urgency. Mitch was Mitch. Two bad picks, a lost fumble returned for a TD, and nearly had another lost fumble amongst other near picks. What a mess we have here. 

On 11/25/2020 at 7:54 AM, Mongo3451 said:

Two last thoughts on this game and both involve defense.

First, Pagano has to unleash many more blitz packages this week.  He tends to be very patient and judicious with them.  Time to send Roquan and Skrine.  They have been very effective in the past.

Lastly, never let them line up Adams on Skrine.  He has been getting slaughtered on the out fade and the out fade go.  Rodgers happens to be the best ever at those throws.  I'll be looking at that during the game to see if a safety cheats a little to help.

You were so spot on re: Defense. They got torched in both of those cases.  

5 hours ago, adam said:

Oh, I agree. A win would be shocking, in GB in prime time.

I just feel bad for Trubisky. After how bad Foles played for so many weeks, he probably should've been starting again a few weeks ago, but then got hurt. So now he gets his chance in the most pivotal game of the season.

A win and the playoffs are a reality at 6-5 and the division is still in reach (w/ tie breaker), and a loss and the season is over. With a loss, they would be a game away from a top 7 pick at 5-6 (7 teams have 4 wins).

Yeah; I felt so bad for Mitch.  He lost and could have done more...but he is clearly better than Foles and showed it tonight. First drive...great drive, he throws 2 TD passes...both get dropped. On the next or following drive...moves the chains on 3rd down...but holding penalty takes it back and follows that up with a turnover.  Next drive....you have the missed face mask and fumble. He took some shots and made some mistakes...but as a whole he kept his eyes down field and made plays and wasn't just throwing the ball 5 yards.  Despite the score and all the late points by the Bears - I actually thought Mitch played better than most of the games score would dictate.  

Robinson has to be so happy to have Mitch back.  But what a shitty spot for Mitch to be in - back to the wall with a defense that did NOTHING...and I MEAN ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TONIGHT.  I hope Bears stick with Mitch and lets see what they do. I won't be shocked if Bears surprise us and win a ton to finish this out.  Call it a hunch.  I also wouldn't be shocked if Detroit beat them and this ends really badly.  We will see. 

On 11/29/2020 at 8:15 AM, adam said:

Backup QB us the least of my worries. On offense, obviously O-Line and the starting QB, and on defense Skrine, Quinn, and the Safeties being in position to make some plays which hasn't been there all year.

wow, what a $#it show.

this defense looked like the packers were playing against an average college team. the packers could have put up 50+ if they felt the need. we play a soft zone that any team could throw a sideline pass for 8-10 yards with nobody covering within 5 -8 yards. it's a first down machine. the packers have used this pass scheme against us for over 15 years and we still can't counter it.  speaking of which, there was NO pressure from out defense on the qb, NONE. he could have stood back there for a full minute without any real pressure. mack who? quinn who? trevathan? this guy is just past his prime and is no benefit to this team.

against the run our D looks nonexistent. especially while hicks is out there is nothing to pressure the qb or fill up the holes for the run game. our DL and linebackers are getting blocked so far out of the play at the snap they might as well be tackling dummies.

our defensive backs are nearly ALWAYS trailing the receivers by at least a yard. jackson out of position, skine out of position, fuller out of position, gipson? not sure where he was.

i would like to know how johnson gets all the acclaims in the past for his play? in a quarter and a half this guy had 3 missed tackles and some poor pass defense to add to that. i have seen this guy allow as many receptions as skrine and add some PI calls to that also. he nearly does nothing against the run. a rookie that can improve and be a great player? possibly in the future. right now he looks like a 3rd round pick rookie.

the only real deal i see is R. smith. he brings it even with the crap we are fielding on defense.

offense? just plain offensive. mitch... well mitch seems to be mitch. i didn't watch the whole game. i stopped before halftime as i couldn't stand it any more, but he looked the same as he has ALWAYS looked. decent up to a 10 yard window. anything longer and it's pathetically the same garbage since he was a rookie. he is about half a qb.

offensive line looked better than before but still a hot mess. our TE's are looking like they have no clue. our WR's continually drop passes. monty? if given a hole he is a good + RB. that rarely happens when we need it.

conclusions: another season down the drain, another regime down the drain, another half decade down the drain. same ole same ole in chicago. rinse and repeat.

In an odd way, that was probably the best Trubisky has looked all year, and it still wasn't that good. He made 3 bad decisions, 2 that resulted in INT's, and one that should have been picked in the endzone that went through the DB's hands. He also should have had another TD if it weren't for Kmet and Robinson dropping 2 great throws on the opening drive. 

Overall, I thought he threw it with confidence, because I think he knows he doesn't have anything to lose anymore. I didn't see any hesitancy or panic in the pocket. He looked like a backup, which, at this point, is basically what I think Mitch's future as a quarterback is. He showed yesterday that he's good enough to stay in the league for a while, but not good enough to overcome his mental mistakes and physical limitations of throwing the deep ball.

As far as what to do with the team moving forward: For me, I'm all in on a full rebuild. They're not going to be bad enough to draft any of the top 4 quarterbacks in this draft, and they have an aging defense that's been trending downwards every year since 2018.

If it were up to me, I'd look to recoup some of those lost draft picks from the Trubisky, Miller, Montgomery, Mack trades and start selling off some of their veterans like Mack, Hicks, Fuller, and maybe even Eddie Jackson. The only two players on defense that I would look to keep are Jaylon Johnson and Roquan Smith.

I would then look to use those picks either to trade up for a quarterback, or, if not, use some of those extra picks to rebuild that OL, then draft a developmental guy in the 2nd or 3rd round and tank hard in 2021 to get a top 5 pick the following year when you can draft another quarterback high, and hopefully have a few young stud offensive lineman to build from. 

1 hour ago, Bears4Ever_34 said:

As far as what to do with the team moving forward: For me, I'm all in on a full rebuild. They're not going to be bad enough to draft any of the top 4 quarterbacks in this draft, and they have an aging defense that's been trending downwards every year since 2018.

If it were up to me, I'd look to recoup some of those lost draft picks from the Trubisky, Miller, Montgomery, Mack trades and start selling off some of their veterans like Mack, Hicks, Fuller, and maybe even Eddie Jackson. The only two players on defense that I would look to keep are Jaylon Johnson and Roquan Smith.

I would then look to use those picks either to trade up for a quarterback, or, if not, use some of those extra picks to rebuild that OL, then draft a developmental guy in the 2nd or 3rd round and tank hard in 2021 to get a top 5 pick the following year when you can draft another quarterback high, and hopefully have a few young stud offensive lineman to build from. 

You are reading my mind or my posts.

On 11/25/2020 at 7:35 AM, adam said:
On 11/25/2020 at 7:35 AM, adam said:

5-5 Bears at 7-3 Packers. 

The Packers just lost to Indy while the Bears won the bye week. I don't have a good feeling about this one. The offense is beyond repair. I expect it to be a 2-3 score deficit, Packers 31-17. The defense has to defend against too many short fields and Skrine gets exposed time and time again. Rinse and repeat. 

It seemed like every pass was against Skrine. I have no clue how many receptions he let up, but I know it was a lot. He ended with 13 tackles, which is insane for a DB. He had 14 over the last 3 games. 

To me the weakest links on the team were Coward on offense and Skrine on defense. Teams will continue to just slide their targets into the slot, run any route, then blindly throw the ball there against Skrine and 90% of the time it's a reception. If you watched the game, that was happening a lot. That was their game plan and Pagano didn't adjust.

26 minutes ago, adam said:

It is crazy to think Monty ran for over 100 yards, Trubisky threw 3 TDs and the Bears were down 41-10 entering the 4th quarter. 

Makes you wonder had the defense actually played what may have happened? Yes the three turnovers by Mitch didn’t help but neither did the Bears D. 

24 minutes ago, adam said:

It seemed like every pass was against Skrine. I have no clue how many receptions he let up, but I know it was a lot. He ended with 13 tackles, which is insane for a DB. He had 14 over the last 3 games. 

To me the weakest links on the team were Coward on offense and Skrine on defense. Teams will continue to just slide their targets into the slot, run any route, then blindly throw the ball there against Skrine and 90% of the time it's a reception. If you watched the game, that was happening a lot. That was their game plan and Pagano didn't adjust.

To beat the Packers you need constant and relentless pressure.  Plain and simple. Minnesota did it, TB did it and so did Indy.  Once Rodgers is rattled he’s done.  Whether it was Pagano not calling the plays or the multi-millionaire pass rushers that chose to stand there is beyond me. 

1 minute ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Makes you wonder had the defense actually played what may have happened? Yes the three turnovers by Mitch didn’t help but neither did the Bears D. 

Game plan was to throw at Skrine and Trevathan regardless of the receiver. Look at the stats, those guys were heavily targeted throughout the game. The double face mask no-call on the Trubisky fumble was icing on the cake. I forgot how bad the officiating was due to how bad the team looked. What's crazy is if they call a penalty for a face mask on the Trubisky fumble, give the ball back to the Bears, and they end up scoring a TD on that drive, it's 20-17 at halftime, not 27-10. Who knows how the game turns out then.

1 minute ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

To beat the Packers you need constant and relentless pressure.  Plain and simple. Minnesota did it, TB did it and so did Indy.  Once Rodgers is rattled he’s done.  Whether it was Pagano not calling the plays or the multi-millionaire pass rushers that chose to stand there is beyond me. 

Very true. We don't have the right players for the scheme. Mack and Quinn dropping into coverage is a waste. I saw a stat that said the Bears played off the receivers farther than they have all season, allowing for easy underneath and crossing patterns all night long. So odd. 

7 minutes ago, adam said:

Game plan was to throw at Skrine and Trevathan regardless of the receiver. Look at the stats, those guys were heavily targeted throughout the game. The double face mask no-call on the Trubisky fumble was icing on the cake. I forgot how bad the officiating was due to how bad the team looked. What's crazy is if they call a penalty for a face mask on the Trubisky fumble, give the ball back to the Bears, and they end up scoring a TD on that drive, it's 20-17 at halftime, not 27-10. Who knows how the game turns out then.

Yes I know the officiating is almost always crap when in regards to the Bears.  Not long before that horse-shit no call double face mask was the one where Rodgers got nudged by one of our defenders (can’t remember who) and received a ‘roughing the passer’ call because of it.  Absolute bull shat.

Something was up with Skrine.  Saw him limping around early in the game then noticed Shelly in for a few plays. Presumably he’s the #2 NB.  But before long Skrine was back out there, slipping and sliding and trailing all over the field.