Mike Pettine

Alaskan Grizzly

My next door neighbor who is a GB fan let me know the Bears just hired recent GB scapegoat Mike Pettine as a "Senior Defensive consultant" (or something rather).  Hmmm...  

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/bears/ct-chicago-bears-mike-pettine-senior-defensive-assistant-20210210-xq3ygx5dq5bovjsv4e7qumf2xu-story.html

1 hour ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

My next door neighbor who is a GB fan let me know the Bears just hired recent GB scapegoat Mike Pettine as a "Senior Defensive consultant" (or something rather).  Hmmm...  

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/bears/ct-chicago-bears-mike-pettine-senior-defensive-assistant-20210210-xq3ygx5dq5bovjsv4e7qumf2xu-story.html

I like it.  He is a good defensive mind and should add experience that a young DC can lean on.  Now to draft some OT's, WRs, and QB that can upgrade that side of the ball.

1 hour ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

I like it.  He is a good defensive mind and should add experience that a young DC can lean on.  Now to draft some OT's, WRs, and QB that can upgrade that side of the ball.

Honestly I see him as a potential interim HC if (and when) Nagy blows it before the halfway point of next season.  And really how difficult would it be to notice the difference if one day Nagy left and the next Petrine showed up? They look like they could be brothers.  

47 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Honestly I see him as a potential interim HC if (and when) Nagy blows it before the halfway point of next season.  And really how difficult would it be to notice the difference if one day Nagy left and the next Petrine showed up? They look like they could be brothers.  

He could fill in if needed as we first thought Pagano could, but Nagy wouldn't want to make his door bigger with this hire.  His decision was to give his young DC some help he is not as strong suited for.  This hire was to help him keep his job imo.  Nagy may have thought hiring Pettine could possibly help the Bears take one game against the Puke and give them a playoff spot or worst another wildcard. Wouldn't be surprised to see them trade for Wentz next and try to make a final push.  Like the Urlacher era Bears, this is the now the Mack era and that tells me there is about a 2 year window. 

14 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

He's never been a re - tread

Depends on what your definition of retread is.  Mine was just that he’s coached elsewhere before.  

I went into this more tongue-in-cheek but after thinking of it, there’s been a few “re-treads” over the years who have made good on it.  Even the great Bill Belichick who was 36-44 with the Browns before he ended up with NE.  

On 2/10/2021 at 8:49 PM, Alaskan Grizzly said:

The problem is if the defense does well Desir will get the credit and we probably have winning season so no one leaves. 

2 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

The problem is if the defense does well Desir will get the credit and we probably have winning season so no one leaves. 

Probably true.  Which I suppose is the best case scenario.  I mean having a winning season and actually making the playoffs on their own merit would be nice.  

This is really going to help the team against GB, and he obviously has experience against our other divisional opponents, so I like the move. If you do good in the division, you are normally a playoff team. So if the Bears can go 4-2 in the division, they are more than likely a 10 win and playoff team.