cost to trade up

Bill

https://dabearsblog.com/2021/zimmermanqb

Found this interesting.  Don't know how close to reality the values are.  But based on his points I just don't see any reason the Bears should do any trading up for any QB that would be available before ten.  I want them to just stay put unless one of the top four falls beyond ten or hope Jones falls to 20.  Other wise draft a OL best player available at 20 and see who's there in the 2nd.

I've mentioned this before and it wasn't popular, but I do not think Mac Jones is worthy of a first round pick.  In watching him play, his accuracy is elite, but that is it. When he has to move his feet, he is sub par.  In the NFL, he will not have time on a consistent basis unless he is with a good OL and surrounded by talent that can separate quickly.  I would change my mind if he had elite arm strength to drive the ball into tight windows or if he had any mobility.  Again, the accuracy is crazy good and he's a great processor.  Definitely not a fit for Soldier Field or Lambeau.  The top four will not make it out of the top 10, in which I would hate to see us trade up that far.

I dont mind us trading future #1s to get a franchise QB in the draft, but I definitely wonder if I want these guys to be the ones to make that decision, especially when they are likely to be gone.

This is a conflict of interest that McCaskey should have avoided by firing them. The only thing that makes sense is to tell these guys they cant trade future picks, and do whatever they think they have to to save their jobs, but no future picks and no long term deals with big guaranteed money on free agents. If thats the case, then it's McCaskey saying "It's your mess, you live with it for a year and then youre gone" and that makes more sense, but still wastes a year.

He really should have fired them. He needs to be fired.

1 hour ago, BearFan NYC said:

I dont mind us trading future #1s to get a franchise QB in the draft, but I definitely wonder if I want these guys to be the ones to make that decision, especially when they are likely to be gone.

This is a conflict of interest that McCaskey should have avoided by firing them. The only thing that makes sense is to tell these guys they cant trade future picks, and do whatever they think they have to to save their jobs, but no future picks and no long term deals with big guaranteed money on free agents. If thats the case, then it's McCaskey saying "It's your mess, you live with it for a year and then youre gone" and that makes more sense, but still wastes a year.

Mitch has failed, there's really no reason for Pace and Nagy to have jobs. 

1 hour ago, BearFan NYC said:

yes and they have each made huge mistakes in addition to that too.

There is no reason for McCaskey to have his job.

You can't fire the McCaskeys.  The only hope we have is that they sit back and count their money.  Ted Phillips has to go.  But, I'm afraid he's made the family too much money.  A football man always needs to stand between the owner and the GM.  It simply doesn't work as a norm.

14 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

You can't fire the McCaskeys.  The only hope we have is that they sit back and count their money.  Ted Phillips has to go.  But, I'm afraid he's made the family too much money.  A football man always needs to stand between the owner and the GM.  It simply doesn't work as a norm.

yes they can remove Mike McCaskey from his role of course and bring in a football guy to oversee operations. Will they? I dunno, but they could.

1. The Bears should never trade up for a 1st rd QB again. The lesson should have been learned.

2. Mac Jones makes up for arm strength precisely with anticipation and touch. I'm not saying he's Montana or Manning, but it's the same concept. 

3. The McCaskeys don't care about winning. They care about $$$.

On 2/22/2021 at 4:58 PM, BearFan NYC said:

This is exactly why they should have cleaned house.  You have Pace and Nagy who will be more motivated to mortgage the future for the present in hopes to save their jobs than look at what's best for the Bears long term.  Their perspective is extremely short term and focused on this coming season only.  I can see Pace swinging for the fences and screwing the team further for years to come in a vein effort to save his and Nagy's jobs.  If the Ownerships' intent was to let them stay knowing full well they will likely fire them next year, then their perspective is severely limited too.  Ownership needs to do what's best for the team long term.  If your intent is to fire Pace/Nagy after 2021.  Why keep them knowing the moves they make could do damage to the teams future leaving the next GM and HC to clean up an even bigger mess than we have now.  

1 hour ago, BearFan2000 said:

This is exactly why they should have cleaned house.  You have Pace and Nagy who will be more motivated to mortgage the future for the present in hopes to save their jobs than look at what's best for the Bears long term.  Their perspective is extremely short term and focused on this coming season only.  I can see Pace swinging for the fences and screwing the team further for years to come in a vein effort to save his and Nagy's jobs.  If the Ownerships' intent was to let them stay knowing full well they will likely fire them next year, then their perspective is severely limited too.  Ownership needs to do what's best for the team long term.  If your intent is to fire Pace/Nagy after 2021.  Why keep them knowing the moves they make could do damage to the teams future leaving the next GM and HC to clean up an even bigger mess than we have now.  

preach

6 hours ago, BearFan2000 said:

That's what we all see, but for some reason the Bears' ownership/management doesn't. It's baffling. 

Then again, that's the type of thing we've seen for 20+ years in various forms and fashions, and it's why the organization has not been a consistent winner.

2 hours ago, jason said:

That's what we all see, but for some reason the Bears' ownership/management doesn't. It's baffling. 

Then again, that's the type of thing we've seen for 20+ years in various forms and fashions, and it's why the organization has not been a consistent winner.

We've all known why too.  It's the Harvard business model.  As long as the family coffers grow, the team will run the same.  I think Adam was the first to predict they would stay, due to their contracts and that the family would not pay a new coach and GM while they owe the current regime money this year.  In a nutshell, the winning thing is not the fiscal thing to them.  Drives me nuts...

On 2/24/2021 at 7:27 AM, BearFan2000 said:

They didn't keep them around and think they are going to fail.  They think we're close and are a few moves away from being a SB contender.  The only way both of them survive is to hit a Ryan Tannahill type of move. Which probably won't happen.  George is viewing the situation as a glass half full no matter how misguided that may be. Changing regimes this year wasn't going to make us a winner this year, their playing poker.  We can only hope for the best. 

3 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

They didn't keep them around and think they are going to fail.  They think we're close and are a few moves away from being a SB contender.  The only way both of them survive is to hit a Ryan Tannahill type of move. Which probably won't happen.  George is viewing the situation as a glass half full no matter how misguided that may be. Changing regimes this year wasn't going to make us a winner this year, their playing poker.  We can only hope for the best. 

This 100%. 

Peace