Where Are The Tight Ends?

lemonej

Through 4 games we have watched the Tight Ends be a non-factor in this so called Tight End Centric Offense! Sunday they were part of max-protection and a couple of lead blocks and a couple of targets to Kmet. That clearly wasn't the head coach calling the plays because those "Wild Cat" formations were a total surprise to the defense and us viewers! It is amazing when a QB has protection plus "Fitting" play calling  what they can do, be it Andy Dalton or Justin Fields. We brought in more speed to stretch the field and today it showed. The right side of the OL and the rookie QB continue a trend that was happenning in the preseason of allowing pressure from the QB's front side and the first one Fields avoided with a spin move at the last second. This has to get better with both the Oline and rookie QB.

Remember all the talk about Trey Burton being the "adjuster", then it was Cohen. The adjuster was the key to Nagy's offense, so now what? Who is playing that role? It can't be any of the TEs based on their usage. Graham has 3 targets in 4 games, on pace for 4 receptions and 44 yards lol.

I have no problems with Lazor and Nagy using Kmet as a primary blocker.  He should have done that in Cleveland.  As Fields' game speed improves we'll be able to use Kmet more on routes but giving the rookie time to process the defense is job 1. 

Down the road this will be an advantage because the Raiders, or some future opponent, will be expecting more of the same from Kmet.  He might chip block and then get into the flat uncovered a few times for big gains.  We all know what is in the Nagy TE playbook from years past so it's just a matter of how quickly Fields is ready for more plays.  Us Bears fans complain when there isn't success and we still find reasons to complain when there is success.  We have no patience to develop players. 

Fields said he likes throwing to "Jasper" Horsted so I'm certain we're going to see some of that before this season is over.     

1 hour ago, Stinger226 said:

As Fields becomes successful with routes to Mooney and AROB, the middle of the field will open up for the TEs. As the offense grows with a new QB, so does the play calling. 

Yeah, that's the ultimate goal. Teams cannot defend the run, medium AND deep routes. 

15 hours ago, AZ54 said:

I have no problems with Lazor and Nagy using Kmet as a primary blocker.  He should have done that in Cleveland.  As Fields' game speed improves we'll be able to use Kmet more on routes but giving the rookie time to process the defense is job 1. 

Fields said he likes throwing to "Jasper" Horsted so I'm certain we're going to see some of that before this season is over.     

Meh.  If the team relies too much on Justin throwing long and running short he and the offense will become one dimensional really fast.  Especially when playing good defenses.  I wouldn’t necessarily consider Detroit a “good defense”. 

As you say, you have a slew of decent TEs on the roster.  Use them in blocking, traditional and hybrid uses/formations.