List of 2022 HC Candidates

Pixote

I have no way of knowing if Nagy will be replaced as HC. I've given up trying to figure out what the 'brain trust' of the Bears are going to do. Below is a link to an article just posted to NFL.com giving a brief description of thirteen possible candidates for HC positions that might open up after this season, as well as a lengthy list of those to keep an eye on in the near future. I found it interesting.

Nathaniel Hackett, Byron Leftwich, Patrick Graham among young NFL coaches to watch

I know they made this list age-based, but I don't know if that trend really matters anymore. Just pick the best HC. We don't need the next McVay or Shanahan, neither of them has won anything to date.

Also on the list:

Bears passing game coordinator/QB coach John DeFilippo, 43
Bears DC Sean Desai, 38

I didn't expect to see any Bears assistants on the list to be honest. 

I think you always know your own team best. We see assistants on other teams and think "THERE's a guy" and while we know the downsides of our guys, because we are so familiar with them, often all we know of the other guys are the highlight clips etc.

I think most of them on the league are competent, meaning they are professionals. I suspect there are hundreds more people just as qualified who arent coaching in the NFL. The trick is to find the ones that are special, the ones who make a different and get you wins. And that is a VERY short list indeed, and those guys are almost never available.

So you try to find someone you think MIGHT have promise to become one of those guys. ANd if they dont, you fire them and do it again. And all the while the odds are low that you will find Bill Belichick.

So yeah, DeFilippo and Desai are on that list, because all the other guys on the list are competent but unspectacular too.

7 hours ago, Pixote said:

I have no way of knowing if Nagy will be replaced as HC. I've given up trying to figure out what the 'brain trust' of the Bears are going to do. Below is a link to an article just posted to NFL.com giving a brief description of thirteen possible candidates for HC positions that might open up after this season, as well as a lengthy list of those to keep an eye on in the near future. I found it interesting.

Nathaniel Hackett, Byron Leftwich, Patrick Graham among young NFL coaches to watch

Knowing the focus is on the younger 'up and coming' candidates I'd still think some that aren't necessarily young should be considered too.  Honestly I'm a little gun-shy on having another Offensive wunderkind/QB whisperer take over.  

That being said, I'd still like to consider Bills OC Brian Daboll (48) as I think even though he hasn't been an HC at the pro or collegiate level yet he's 'been there done that' at both levels. And been successful while doing so.

The other I think should be considered is KC's current ST coordinator Dave Toub (59).  It was mentioned that familiarity with the team helps.  Although he isn't as familiar with the cuurrent members of the team he's certainly familiar with the staff.  And if you consider coaches like John Harbaugh and Bill Belichick got their starts as Special Teams coordinators I'd think he'd be a great consideration.  

18 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Knowing the focus is on the younger 'up and coming' candidates I'd still think some that aren't necessarily young should be considered too.  Honestly I'm a little gun-shy on having another Offensive wunderkind/QB whisperer take over.  

That being said, I'd still like to consider Bills OC Brian Daboll (48) as I think even though he hasn't been an HC at the pro or collegiate level yet he's 'been there done that' at both levels. And been successful while doing so.

The other I think should be considered is KC's current ST coordinator Dave Toub (59).  It was mentioned that familiarity with the team helps.  Although he isn't as familiar with the cuurrent members of the team he's certainly familiar with the staff.  And if you consider coaches like John Harbaugh and Bill Belichick got their starts as Special Teams coordinators I'd think he'd be a great consideration.  

I was going to mention Toub. I felt he should have been hired instead of Trestman when Lovie was fired. I think he's more than qualified for the job. 

Peace

2 hours ago, Connorbear said:

I was going to mention Toub. I felt he should have been hired instead of Trestman when Lovie was fired. I think he's more than qualified for the job. 

Peace

Toub is definitely a leader of men. I suspect that GMs are hoping that a head coach will bring some coordinator magic with them. Theoretically, a head coach should run the team, and not be a coordinator, but the problem with that model is that if you have a guy you think is an offensive or defensive genius, someone is going to hire them away as a head coach. If your genius IS your head coach then you get to keep him as long as you like (or are willing to pay him).

But yeah, for 99% of the all the coaches in the NFL, this isnt rocket science, and as I said in an earlier post, coordinator geniuses are rare, and usually they get figured out pretty quick anyway, so any competent coordinator can provide a professional product. So a real leader like Toub, could be an effective head coach even without any offensive or defense "magic" which Im saying doesnt really exist anyway, or not for long (excepting Belichick).

Of course by this argument, Nagy might be a good head coach too, if he focuses on that aspect and not trying to out trick 100 years of football offense. We've all seen this before. Trestman, Shoop, Crowton - they all had special sauce. In some cases it never worked. But even in the best cases, like Sean McVey, who invented a wrinkle that totally confused the NFL for about 10 months, then the Ravens came in and totally shut it down, and within a couple weeks,. the whole league figured out how to beat it.

Same with Lovie. The Tampa Two was dominant for a while, but then the league figured it out.

So if there is no such thing as a consistent genius coordinator who outperforms the league year in and year out, then maybe the best thing is to forget that dream, and get a head coach who can lead men. And that is a good argument for Toub.